X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Trainer

There are many trainer planes for those new to the RC flying world, and it is tough to choose, hence this thread.

First off, I will dismiss balsa wood aircraft, as these are typically more expensive much harder to repair. Scratch-building is also a good way of getting into the hobby, with help from sites like Flite Test, but it will not be covered in this thread either.

Characteristics a trainer should have:

Easy-going flight: The aircraft should be self-righting and stable in the air, allowing for the more than occasional "dumb thumb" of the user. Technology like SAFE is also a plus, since it can right the plane for you.

Durability: When you are in the beginner stages of your RC life, you will crash, and when you do, you don't want to have to go home to repair because of a hard landing. A good trainer can take a hit and keep on flying. This is where foams like EPO and Depron really come into play, as they can take a hit.

Repair-ability: As a beginner, you need something that can not only take a hit from the occasional rough landing, but can also be repaired when you have the inevitable crash. Foam, again, excels in this area, as all you need is a hot glue gun and some packing tape.

Ease of assembly and setup: For a newbie, there is only one thing that drives them. Their first flight. Usually, a new RC hobbyist just wants to fly, and so a trainer should definitely come in a PNF or RTF package.

Price: Let's face it. The RC hobby is expensive, and buying a trainer worth a lot of money can be intimidating. The price should be reasonably inexpensive, unless the aircraft has anti-crash technology like SAFE.

With that said, lets take a look at popular trainers on the market:

1. E-flite Apprentice RTF *$279.99
    With SAFE technology, the Apprentice protects your purchase with gyros and 3 flight modes, and a button that rights the plane for you, crucial to a nervous pilot without an instructor.

2. Hobbyzone Sportsman S+ RTF $349.99
    Similar to the Apprentice, the Sportsman has flight modes and a panic button, but it also has return to home and geo fencing, keeping your plane in your line of sight at all times.

3. Hobbyzone Champ RTF $99.99
    A cheap 3 channel airplane, letting you learn without risk, as the plane isn't heavy enough to hurt itself.

4. Hobbyzone Delta Ray RTF $179.99
    SAFE technology protects your purchase, the only drawback is the brushed motors, as they tend to have a shorter life than their brushless counterparts

5. Freewing Pandora PNF $199.00
    An easy flying plane, but without gyros to assist in flight.

6. Dynam Cub RTF $159.99
    An easy flier.

7. Tiger Moth (All variations)
    An easy biplane to learn on that can introduce aerobatics later on.

Take into account how much you are willing to spend on the hobby before beginning. Don't give up even if you crash. Good Luck to any beginners that read this thread!

Post your favorite trainer, along with thoughts and questions.
    You might be able to fly it, but can you land it?

RE: The Best Trainer

Dynam Cub and Tiger Moth make good trainers.

Cub is a little easier for beginners, but the Tiger Moth (any scale, any make as long as not overweight) is the best trainer biplane ever.

Both are reasonably priced 4-channel PNF airplanes that can be tuned to fly very gently or for moderate aerobatics just by choice of battery and adjusting the control throws a bit. Good size for transport without taking the wings off yet large enough to be easily visible.

Basic bright yellow paint for high visibilty, and easily personalized with a bit of paint.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber
      Dynam Cub  and Tiger Moth make good trainers.

Cub is a little easier for beginners, but the Tiger Moth (any scale, any make as long as not overweight) is the best trainer biplane ever.

Both are reasonably priced 4-channel PNF airplanes that can be tuned to fly very gently or for moderate aerobatics just by choice of battery and adjusting the control throws a bit.  Good size for transport without taking the  wings off yet large enough to be easily visible.

Basic bright yellow paint for high visibilty, and easily personalized with a bit of paint.
      That's a good point. I'll add those to the list.

Comment

Interesting.

I thought about going with all the "safe" options but then I thought what fun is that. I want to learn old school, where the pucker factor is amplified! Granted the new "safe" systems are like training wheels on a bike. Great stuff, dont get me wrong but I think choosing a trainer also goes down to what do you as the pilot want to get out of your training experience.

My trainer is an FMS 1280 and an open field. Yea I have a few hard landings and a few need more glue moments but for me it was/is a blast as I'm still flying my battle tested trainer. If I was to start new again I would go with the Pandora or any of the "switchable" models.

Kevin
        Off with one helluva roar!
        AMA 1085465

Comment

Originally posted by XF-15DCC
          Interesting.

I thought about going with all the "safe" options but then I thought what fun is that. I want to learn old school, where the pucker factor is amplified! Granted the new "safe" systems are like training wheels on a bike. Great stuff, dont get me wrong but I think choosing a trainer also goes down to  what do you as the pilot want to get out of your training experience.

My trainer is an FMS 1280 and an open field. Yea I have a few hard landings and a few need more glue moments but for me it was/is a blast as I'm still flying my battle tested trainer. If I was to start new again I would go with the Pandora or any of the "switchable" models.

Kevin
          I started off the same way, with the FMS Dragonfly trainer. The first flight, my whole wing ripped in half. With a bit of glue and 4 crashes later, I managed to start flying like a normal person, and I'm happier for it because now I know hot to recover from low altitude stalls and whatnot, as with SAFE I would just rely on the system. I posted this so that others wouldn't have to crash as much as I did.

I am also flying my old FMS Dragonfly, that thing can really take a hit and just take the weight of all the glue I put into it. If I had to start again I would go the same route, as I learned to repair, and I learned to fly without any assists.

Regards,
          Martin

Comment

Good suggestions, Fhhuber. For a SAFE-less trainer in a larger size, the Freewing Pandora is a good choice. It is such a mild flyer, and for the money you're getting four planes in one, allowing pilots to transition from the easier formats to the more difficult ones as their skills progress. The Techone Air Titan is a big stable plane as well, with large sturdy gear and an optional LED version. The downside of these two planes is that they are only available as PNPs, meaning you'll need to purchase a radio, receiver, charger, and battery separately, which can be daunting for new pilots.

If compactness and low cost are strong motivators, in addition to martmichals' list, the Hobbyzone Super Cub S is a SAFE-equipped steal at $199 with everything in the box ready to fly ("RTF"). http://www.motionrc.com/hobbyzone-super-cub-s-with-safe-1210mm-48-wingspan-rtf/
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

The SAFE technology is good to a point. I have two planes with SAFE, the Eflite Apprentice and the HobbyZone F4U Corsair. I got these since I am just returning to the hobby after several decades. First flights went great in the beginner mode and helped me regain some confidence. However, they are both harder to land in the beginner mode. They act like they are tail heavy even though CG and trim are spot on. I have to force the plane down with elevator which makes landing a bit of a trick. The planes tend to stall as soon as you throttle back rather than glide until you flare. I'll say this about the apprentice - it takes a beating. Only problem I had was with nose gear. It came loose from the control arm collar once and I broke a clevis at the servo on another landing. I attribute most of this to fast approaches to a rough grass airfield. Bottom line is that the gyro stabilized receivers are pretty forgiving even in the advanced modes. If you get one with SAFE tech, I recommend turning it off (intermediate or advanced mode) sooner than later. Otherwise you'll never really learn how to fly.

I too looked at the Freewing Pandora. I found that the RTF apprentice was the least expensive option since it included everything you need to get started. Watch the sales - I got mine for $237.00.

Thanks to martmichals for staring this thread.
              Flying again after many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                Good suggestions, Fhhuber. For a SAFE-less trainer in a larger size, the Freewing Pandora is a good choice. It is such a mild flyer, and for the money you're getting four planes in one, allowing pilots to transition from the easier formats to the more difficult ones as their skills progress. The Techone Air Titan is a big stable plane as well, with large sturdy gear and an optional LED version. The downside of these two planes is that they are only available as PNPs, meaning you'll need to purchase a radio, receiver, charger, and battery separately, which can be daunting for new pilots.

If compactness and low cost are strong motivators, in addition to martmichals' list, the Hobbyzone Super Cub S is a SAFE-equipped steal at $199 with everything in the box ready to fly ("RTF"). http://www.motionrc.com/hobbyzone-super-cub-s-with-safe-1210mm-48-wingspan-rtf/
                Totally agree on the Pandora. It's coming up on two years old and is by far my go to plane. It always goes to the field with me. I can grease landings almost every time and with the big wheels (low wing) it will handle bumpy grass fields easily. I can fly it LOS or FPV as well. It's big so it handles the wind pretty well also... Yep, that one is my fave.
                Lauren

Comment

[ I posted this so that others wouldn't have to crash as much as I did.]

100% understood and a great idea for a post. Like I mentioned it also depends on how the new pilot wants to learn for choosing a trainer. We all need to remember each plane has an expiration date, you just don't know when.
                  Off with one helluva roar!
                  AMA 1085465

Comment

Some people (me) need something really slow when learning.

I had essentially ZERO success until I got hold of a Dynaflite Butterfly kit.
                    Huge powered sailplane.

The modern beginner bird with similar characteristics would be the Parkzone Radian or similar rudder-elevator-throttle sailplanes (not the hotliners)

There is no single "BEST" trainer...
                    there might be a best trainer for one particular student.

Comment

Originally posted by fastnblue
                      The SAFE technology is good to a point.  I have two planes with SAFE, the Eflite Apprentice and the HobbyZone F4U Corsair.   I got these since I am just returning to the hobby after several decades.  First flights went great in the beginner mode and helped me regain some confidence.  However, they are both harder to land in the beginner mode.  They act like they are tail heavy even though CG and trim are spot on.  I have to force the plane down with elevator which makes landing a bit of a trick.  The planes tend to stall as soon as you throttle back rather than glide until you flare.  I'll say this about the apprentice - it takes a beating.  Only problem I had was with nose gear.  It came loose from the control arm collar once and I broke a clevis at the servo on another landing.  I attribute most of this to fast approaches to a rough grass airfield.  Bottom line is that the gyro stabilized receivers are pretty forgiving even in the advanced modes.  If you get one with SAFE tech, I recommend turning it off (intermediate or advanced mode) sooner than later.  Otherwise you'll never really learn to fly.
                      I too looked at the Freewing Pandora. I found that the RTF apprentice was the least expensive option since it included everything you need to get started.  Watch the sales - I got mine for $237.00.

Thanks to martmichals for staring this thread.
                      Hey fastnblue
                      Welcome back to flying. Just chimed in because I own the Corsair. Purchased it ready to fly. First foamie. Probably around a half year ago.I found it to be a very good flying plane.the 3 cell 1800 battery that comes with it seems to make it float a little on landings but a 2200 allows it to glide in and flair beautifully. I flew the beginner's mode just long enough on the first flight to take off and immediately went to intermediate and have never used it again. Only time I ever hit the recovery button was to see what it would do. I have never had any stall problems at all unless the wind was excessive and then a little added throttle solved that. Most of the time I just cut the throttle and glide right in with a little flair right at touchdown. I've been really happy with the built in gyro. It really shines when trying to land in a crosswind. As a lot of the guys will tell you don't take the cg in the manual as the absolute 64 mm from the leading edge at the fusalage. I fly the 1800 with a half oz of weight in the cowl and the 2200 pushed all the way to the firewell and no added weight. So maybe change your cg just a little and see if you want be rewarded with a better flying plane. God flying to you.
                      Dewey l

Comment

I think the Pandora always comes out first. I'm still a student flier and I have Pandora, Apprentice and the Hawksky V2. the Pandora is by far one of the best and always have compliments on how good it fly's at the field.
                        Still Learning:D

Comment

There are a ton of good trainers on the market today, but when I was running a business and attending shows selling pusher jets, I always got a lot of questions about "are these good for beginners". And the first thing I'd always say to anyone looking to start in the hobby was to go and get a good flight simulator, especially the kids. Kids pick this stuff up fast, particularly if they play a lot of video games. The transition from a game controller to a radio is fairly simple for most of them.
                          Pat

Comment

Okay, you all know I'm a big fan of the Pandoras. Both mine are modified now, as I have the 3536-580kv motors in them with a 50A ESC (Same motor as the RocHobby Waco),DB tires and the battery compartment under the canopy rather than the front hatch, low wing tail dragger with A3Ls in them, now they're my experimental planes. I loved these planes right from the get go because of their flexibility (High/lo wing and tail dragger/nose wheel options) but ended up in low wing tail dragger configuration. Crashing just gave me something to do in the afternoon!. Anyway, I have a different mindset than my wife who is a white knuckle flyer. She doesn't like to fly high or fast, low and slow for her and a crash would break her fragile confidence, so the safe technology is a great psychological tool for her. As I stated in another thread, when her prop decided to go a different way than the rest of the plane, she hit the panic button, regained her witts and glided sown to a safe landing. The SAFE technology gave her that few seconds to calm down and take control, successfully I might add.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

What I hate to see...

This is a perfect trainer... on a 3D capable Ultimate RTF.

Just no.

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                Okay, you all know I'm a big fan of the Pandoras. Both mine are modified now, as I have the 3536-580kv motors in them with a 50A ESC (Same motor as the RocHobby Waco),DB tires and the battery compartment under the canopy rather than the front hatch, low wing tail dragger with A3Ls in them, now they're my experimental planes. I loved these planes right from the get go because of their flexibility (High/lo wing and tail dragger/nose wheel options) but ended up in low wing tail dragger configuration. Crashing just gave me something to do in the afternoon!. Anyway, I have a different mindset than my wife who is a white knuckle flyer. She doesn't like to fly high or fast, low and slow for her and a crash would break her fragile confidence, so the safe technology is a great psychological tool for her. As I stated in another thread, when her prop decided to go a different way than the rest of the plane, she hit the panic button, regained her witts and glided sown to a safe landing. The SAFE technology gave her that few seconds to calm down and take control, successfully I might add.

Grossman56
                                Just curios G Man,are you using the mfg cg of 70-80 to balance with the battery in the cockpit area? I tried that with the battery in the fwd position and it was extremely nose heavy. So I measured the width of the wing at the root took 25 and 30 percent of that measurement and that comes out to 60-70 mm from the leading edge,then it balances fine. Would like to hear your input. Thanks.

Roy B.

Comment

Hey Roy
                                  Yes, the mfg cg, but what happens is that you add some nose weight to the plane when you change to DB tires, necessitating having to move the battery back, so mine sit right back at the bar of the wing.
                                  My first Aircraft video! Quick trip around the Pandoras and her sisters!

From the video, you can see the setup, and 'no' the gyro is not sitting on a strange angle, I think its because she's sitting on her tail and the closeness of the camera makes it look that way for some reason. You'll also note that I had to add a bit of weight to the tail to get her to balance out as well. The reasonable explanation for that is early in her life and my career as an R/C pilot, we crashed and burned, as you can see by the smoke stains in the video. So, there were a couple of thin spots in the nose area (it was the ESC that fried and caused the fire) so I dropped a bunch of Gorilla Glue into the holes to repair them, it worked great but probably added some weight. When it came to Pandora Two, she cged up just fine. I'm also thinking that no two planes are exactly alike. Think of the specs as sports stats..
                                  Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Oh, one other thing, as Konrad mentioned, re CG your plane after you've painted it. If she's a little tail heavy, add another clear coat to the nose, hey, why not?

Grossman56
                                    Last edited by Grossman56; Mar 2, 2016, 05:10 PM.
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Gotcha G Man!

Thanks Roy B.

Comment

I wonder what an Ar 636 receiver would be like in a Pandora? TheAS3X might make it an even great trainer, anyone try it?

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X