X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waco 40" bipe

I guess it's kind of late to ask this question, since I've already ordered one, but does anyone have experience with the Waco bipe? I fell for the good looks, and I wonder how it flies. It sure would be a shame to wreck this beauty...

Re: Waco 40" bipe

I have been very tempted by the Waco as well, but haven't bought one yet. Please let us know your impressions on the build and first flight!

Comment

I have a Waco (<i>rhymes with taco</i>) made by another brand then RocHobby's verison. They are very similar in every aspect except RocHobby's Biplane is smaller then the Waco I have. The areodynamics of this biplane is really good. It flies slow and stable when needed and can do aerobatics if desired plus has enough power to climb quickly to get you out of a jam. It is easy to takeoff and easy to land. It is a classy looking plane on the ground and in the air. I am confident that RocHobby's Waco is a great plane and If I didn't already own one I would get the RocHobby version.

Comment

I just got mine together, not flown due to weather here in Indiana.

A few build notes.
        I had some trouble with the screws that hold the landing gear retainer plate, I had some alternate screws that worked better.

Landing gear leg fairing plates; I drilled a couple of holes on either side of the retaining clip and ran a few turns of wire around the legs and through the fairing plates to more securely hold them on.

Dummy Engine; I opened up the area between the cylinders to allow more air through. I painted the firewall and inside the cowl flat black. I added pushrod tube detail with 1/16 inch silver stripe tape.

I used 24 AWG black wire for the brace wires.

The aileron servo wire channel in the lower wing was pre-covered with yellow tape. It needs to be pulled up to run the nav light wires. This left the tape unusable so after the light wires are run, I used new white tape and painted it yellow.

Prop balance; mine was off and caused quite a bit of vibration, don't fly it like that, a trip to the balancing stand took care of that.

Check all the linkage screws before you fly, mine were looser that what I'm comfortable with.

This plane was a bit more work than a typical monoplane but the results are well worth it.

I'll post my current draw tests later, since my notebook is out in the garage.
        I'll post pics later.

Comment

The numbers on the Waco with a stock prop, and an E-Flite 2100 mAh, 20C, 3S battery
          Peak amps = 33.85 at 6950 RPM
          Peak Power = 344 watts
          After peak, it looked like most of the run was at 29 - 28 Amps.
          Ran about 3.52 minutes to 1680 mAh (80% battery rule) at WOT so 6-8 minute flights at around 1/2 throttle should be no problem.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Randol - you've already answered another of my posts about this Waco, but I just ran across this thread.

Tell me about your choice concerning the rigging, you used 24 awg wire instead of the stuff they supply (I guess it's nylon, maybe?). How come, did you try the supplied stuff and dislike it or have trouble with it? Or is this type of rigging something you've done before and know what works or looks better? Is your choice for a realistic scale look, or is it about what "works" best?

Also - I don't know much about wire - is the wire you used somewhat rigid, or is it this something almost as flexible as the supplied "thread"? I almost wonder if it wouldn't be very cool to use a rigid type of material. I know I'm beating this to death, but I'm excited about this plane...

Comment

I used the wire for a couple of reasons.
              The stuff that came with the plane was very thick and stretchy and didn't seem to hold knots well, not that I'm an expert in knots.
              I liked the thinner look of the wire, and it was easy to work with. It is solid (single strand) and is copper with some type of black coating that seems durable. I got it at a craft store and is used for bracelets etc..., I think.
              I rigged it with just a little tension on the springs so it stays tight.

Comment

hey guys

I've just ordered this plane (via a friend in PA because i'm in canada)....while i wait for it, can you tell me what the connector is on the ESC please.

Cheers and thanks

Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,

The connector FROM the ESC is a Dean's MALE, so your battery should have the FEMALE Dean's fitting. Unless, of course, you'd like to change the fitting on the ESC to match what you're already using. I haven't flown, nor even assembled mine (Hey, the Rocky Mountain States can be rough during the Winter), I have been using the EC-3 blue connectors. I know that a lot of the 'really cool' flyers, will tell you that Dean's are the only way to go. The problem is, at least for these old slippery fingers, I can't get a good enough hold on the mating parts to get them disconnected when I need to do so, and I know enough not to pull by the wires. I have had no trouble with the EC type connectors, and they will handle the amperage . I have a couple of high drain ships, and they are not slow, nor do any of the components heat up. By the way, the blue EC line comes in EC2, ( smaller draw for smaller stuff) and larger EC4 to handle four cells and more, though I believe I'll try an EC3 on my four cell P40 and see how that goes. Whatever you choose, remember that high resistance in any part of the system will generate heat, so put a machine through its paces and land. Then quickly pull the battery hatch and grab the connector. Not warm? you're fine.

Comment

Thanks for the info Bill :) The batteries i have already have deans so i'll probably just leave it all alone. Thanks very much for your help...I'm looking forward to flying this

Comment

Greetings Gang,

The RocHobby (FMS) Waco Bipe arrived today!!!!
                      Just finished unboxing and inspecting everything and all is well!!

What a georgous airplane!! Interesting note, and I really don't know if perhaps this plane is made with a different foam density or of it's the paint job...... but the plane has a kind of - for lack of a better term - rubberized feel and texture to it. Unlike any model I've encountered. It's not a bad thing, just different.

I also noted that the areas between the cylindar heads of the simulated radial in the cowl are already cut out for ventilation.

Like some others have previously mentioned, if there is a low point it would have to be the variations in the coloring of certain components... primarilly between the foam and plastic pieces. I'm thinking of converting them to black, maybe.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

Clear Skies,
                      Bill in Okla.

Comment

I just maidened my Waco last week. What a great flying plane. Anybody on the fence, buy it, you'll not regret it!!

Comment

Its a really great flyer. Make sure you taxi and get the plane tracking straight before attempting a take-off. The one most important thing to do on take off is throttle up slowly and keep on that rudder, it will want to torque left. Once in the air "sweetheart". Landing will take some getting use to. Come in level to the ground get about a foot and bleed off speed maintain and should settle. To fast and will bounce, if to slow it will fall out left or right. Once you have it down you will be hooked. Its one of my favorite planes and still surprises me with it's flight character. I like 1600mah batteries the best. On windy days 1800mah.

Comment

Greetings Cap,

Thanks for the flight info on the Waco.

Hey, do you think going with a 2200 mAh 30C Admiral 3cell will make this bird a bit squirrelly?

Bill in Okla.

Comment

Not a problem to use 2200's I use them when the battery pile is low. The room in the Waco is very small and is a tight fit. I just love how Waco feels with 1600 and 1800. The flight time is about the same on all three batteries. For landings, the lighter the battery the better.

Comment

Greetings Cap,

Thanks again..... Looks like I need to do a little LiPo shopping.

Clear Skies

Comment

My solution for the whole spring/stretchy plastic wing wires was to chuck the springs and go direct with the plastic, stretching it sufficiently to sound like a low to middle or so guitar string. (Not as tight as it seems) Then I just tied off with TRIPLE simple knots and cyo'd them while holding under tension. I used a Testor's Silver Paint stick on the wires after they were installed. They look fantastic. I haven't flown it yet, but it has sat for months without changes in tension. We'll see; it's only plastic after all. Also, using this method allows you to "thread" the line through a number of 'stations' in one swoop. It's been a very windy Spring so far, with only a few flyable days that I couldn't attend. Our fall flying season, however, can go into December some years. I think I'll get it into the air next week. Meanwhile, Geez it's purdy.

Comment

Greetings,

Indeed, this is a good looking plane. I'm looking forward to when MRC begins carrying the slightly larger Dynam version. I am currently involved in the rigging process on the 40" Waco and fortunately no issues so far with the springs. I think having built a lot of clipper ship models as a kid and taking a personal interest in the block and tackle rigging systems perhaps plays right into my wheel-house here.

However, should I end up in a bind (punn intended) I will investigate your point-to-point method.

I hope to post a few photos once its completed.

Clear Skies,

Bill L.
                                    In Okla.

Comment

Working...
                                    X