X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1400mm T28

Hey, thanks CaptRon. I also have the 10A SBEC in both my 1400's. Wouldn't fly with out them. I also plan the put the KV580 motor from my crashed T28 in my new Red Tail P51D which has the Kv540. They say it will make the Mustang really scream!!!. Flew all day yesterday and noticed the T28 is faster than the P51 and we cant have that..lol..
    Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

I have the P-51 Red Tail as well. In fact that's why I got the T-28 because I have never flown a 1400mm before. My thinking is that the smaller Parkzone T-28 is SO easy to fly, that I would take a chance on the larger one. I got the P-51 as a gift and I just don't want to crash it. But because of the weather, I can't fly either one. Oh man I hate wind LOL Never dreamed that the T-28 would be faster than the Mustang LOL
      Happy Landings

Comment

hey CaptRon. You will love the 1400mm T28. I had a PK T28 also and the 1400 will fly better after you get it trimmed out. It took a little getting used to the large size and weight of the 1400, but you can fly it in a 5 to 10 mph breeze no problem. Once you can fly and land it good the P51 will be a thrill, but they are very different plane's so beware.
        Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Wow I like it better that way. I painted Trojan v-2 red and white. After 90hours they get very dirty. Its not as striking as the orange. These planes crack me up, unless you have one you'll never understand.

Comment

Hey Capt.Mike. Is that 90 hrs at the field ? or 90 hrs 6 min's at a time ? I agree Mike, there is nothing like a Trojan...
            Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Thanks Tootall, I'm afraid of landing the damn thing LOL Was it difficult to go from the PK to the 1400mm?
              I have the Freewing B-17 (love that one) I fly that with no problem and the Mitchell bomber as well.
              All my others are around the same size PZ T-28, Corsair Thunderbolt.
              My first try with the 1400 mm T-28 was a disaster but that was before I added the SBEC. I'm still waiting for weather to try it again.

Comment

Thats 6mins at a time. All my planes have high time on them. I keep track of what goes out first. If I get 25hours out of a plane with no problems I stop logging hours. I did Trojan just to see how long foam would fly.
                I stopped logging at 83hours a year and half ago and still fly it about 2-5 hours a month since then.

Comment

Hi CaptRon. I don't think it was difficult to transition between the PK and the 1400, just a little scary at first. Just remember the PK only weights like 2.2lbs flying and the 1400 is a little over 5 lbs. If your already used to the way the PK fly's, you will be amazed on how similar they are and shouldn't have any problem flying it. Check out my post named "New 1400mm T28 ". In it their are radio setup's and take off, flying and landing tips." Crosswind" was a tremendous help on the radio setup end. Not sure what radio you have but the values should be the same across all radio's. The 1400's like to land with flaps down, except if you have a crosswind, in that case use mid flaps or no flaps at all. It just takes a little time to get used to the size difference between the two planes.
                  Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Thanks Tootall..Got it
                    Happy Landings!!

Comment

Well it was a windy day in Albuquerque. Maybe 10-15mph right down the runway. Not to bad but I think its good practice to fly in a little wind as long as its not to crazy. My flying buddy got a new P51B and we did the maiden flight with no glitches. Our photographer friend was there and got some awesome shots of all our planes. My buddy and I took up our 1400mm T28's and chased each other around the sky. All went good UNTILL I decided to try a 4 point roll zero mistakes high and I totally blew it planting the plane in the grass nose first full speed. As you can imagine total destruction was the result and I had no one to blame but my self and I knew better. This was T28 #2 and after picking up all the pieces and making the "walk of shame" back to the pits, all I could do is kick myself in the Ass but I really wasn't that upset. That's how you learn, but if you don't try you will never advance and sometimes bad things happen. Not sure if I going to build another one or not. I have tons of motors, esc's and servos from past crashed planes and decided to order a P51B DD kit to go with my P51D Red tail.
                      Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Hey Tootall
                        I'm on my second one as well. The first major crash I had broke everything you could imagine. But with a little epoxy and hot glue it all went back together just fine. I couldn't believe how good it flew after such a bad crash. The fuselage was in 4 pcs, the wing cut in two, landing gear destroyed and the canopy even came apart. ( I think the two guys were trying to run away LOL)
                        I had to purchase a bunch of plastic parts but continued to fly it until I got more comfortable with it. The new one still looks new. I now use the first one to practice new things with. Then I go to the good one. Happy Landings
                        Ron

Comment

I have been thinking about getting a 1400mm T-28 and have been looking at both the Airfield and the FMS versions. After doing some searches and reading up on the pro's and con's of each, I have decided that the FMS is the better way to go. I'm assuming the V3 is the better deal over the V2 version but I'm not familiar with their differences. One question I do have and is the landing gear metal or what? I do know that the company to purchase any plane from is Motion RC as I have ready nothing but good reports. I am moving from Texas to California sometime this year and don't know if the new club will have a grass or hard surface runway, so I won't do any changes on the plane (changing the front wheel size) until I know what I'll be flying from. Thanks to everyone in this specific forum for helping me make my decision. <smiley image="anim_jump.gif"/>

Comment

Good choice rcwarbirdman. The retracts are metal trunnion and metal struts with plastic sleeves for strength and cosmetics.

Comment

Awesome choice picking the FMS 1400 T28. You wont be disappointed. I loved both of mine and still do but not sure if Im going to rebuild them right away. You will love the way they fly, just don't do any aerobatics your not ready for like I did..lol. Take off are a breeze and landings are almost as easy. Remember to come in under a little power level and let it float down. With a little flare at the end it will land on the mains then settle down on the front using rudder to keep it straight. If you come in to slow or pull up to hard at landing it will stall and come down on the front strut and it will bend and break props. I use a castle 10 amp external BEC on all my 1400-1450 warbirds and suggest you do the same.

Happy landings.
                              Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

The PK T28 is a great second plane when starting to fly, but the FMS T28 is the next step up to flying bigger planes. Mastering the trike landing gear is the next step into flying. Yes, it does have a little heavy feel to it in the air, as do all the FMS war birds in 1400 series. Just remember to keep the air speed up while landing. i know I should practice more myself. heheheh

Comment

Thanks all for the info in this thread. I too am a newbie reading as fast as I can, ready to purchase T-28 from one of many manufacturers (Parkzone, FMS, Dynam, Durafly, Airfield). Paralyzed by information overload and can't pull the trigger. Watching and talking to lots of T-28 owners!

Saw reference to external SBEC in this thread and checked out how connections would look. Found a good thread with pictures for connections here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369147

Question (based on what I read in referenced thread) is for those here who have replaced their internal BEC with external BEC (whether sbec, ubec, bec): when doing so, do you need to cut the power wire (red) from the ESC (with internal BEC) to the RX? (The exmaple in the other thread is for ESC without an internal BEC, so cutiting the wire wsa deemed unnecessary in that case.)

Thanks SOOOO much for all the effort you guys put into these forums...reassuring for someone dumping money into a new addiction!

Comment

Hi RC Warrior-You are definitely doing the right thing by researching the planes before you buy one. You said you are a newbie, so I am wondering if you have flown any other planes first? The T28 is a great plane, but not sure I would recommend it for a first plane. Something like the Apprentice if you want to start with a large first plane, or the Sensei would be good choices, and allow you to start with an aileron equipped plane. Both these are carried by MRC. If you want to start a bit less expensive the PZ Cub with the SAFE is a good choice. Only 3 channels, but a very nice flying plane. Also, make sure you get plenty of simulator time in before that first flight.

If you already have trainer experience, the next step would be something like the T28. I have the Dynam T-28, and the PZ T-28. For a second plane, I would tend to recommend the PZ plane. Nothing wrong with the Dynam or FMS planes, but they are more complicated with retracts, and fly "heavier". It all depends on your experience level. Once again, MRC either already carries all of these, or in the case of Dynam, will have it by mid-June.

Good luck with your flying. It is an addiction for sure. I just started a couple of years ago, and now have a house full of different planes and my wife is insisting I build a shop to store them before I buy any more planes!

Comment

Content-Type: text/plain;
                                      charset=us-ascii

Welcome the the hobby!!!
                                      In regards to your question about external BEC's, most ESC have one built in=
                                      but most are only 5amp while the Castle BEC is 10 amp. With a Parkzone t28 o=
                                      nly has 4 servos and the external isn't really needed. When you jump to a FM=
                                      S 1400mm T28 it has 9 servos and retracts and lights, it puts a big load on t=
                                      he internal 5A BEC. The external BRC is just a "piece of mind" device while y=
                                      our flying in case your speed control malfunctions you still have power to y=
                                      ou electronics to bring the plane down. If you use the external BEC you must=
                                      disconnect the red wire on the throttle lead from the ESC and plug it in th=
                                      e throttle channel on receiver. The lead from the extetnal BEC you can plug i=
                                      n the a AUX channel or the bind port on you receiver after binding the radio=
                                      . You can't have 2 power sources going to the receiver, so the Ext 10 amp B=
                                      EC will power everything just fine.=20

Hope this helps.=20

Chris Jones
                                      Sent from my iPhone 5

> On May 30, 2014, at 2:21 PM, "RC_Warrior [via Motion RC Community Forum]" <=
                                      ml-node+s1075610n2359h19@n5.nabble.com> wrote:
                                      >=20
                                      > Thanks all for the info in this thread. I too am a newbie reading as fast=
                                      as I can, ready to purchase T-28 from one of many manufacturers (Parkzone, =
                                      FMS, Dynam, Durafly, Airfield). Paralyzed by information overload and can't=
                                      pull the trigger. Watching and talking to lots of T-28 owners!=20
                                      >=20
                                      > Saw reference to external SBEC in this thread and checked out how connecti=
                                      ons would look. Found a good thread with pictures for connections here: ht=
                                      tp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3D1369147
                                      >=20
                                      > Question (based on what I read in referenced thread) is for those here who=
                                      have replaced their internal BEC with external BEC (whether sbec, ubec, bec=
                                      ): when doing so, do you need to cut the power wire (red) from the ESC (wit=
                                      h internal BEC) to the RX? (The exmaple in the other thread is for ESC with=
                                      out an internal BEC, so cutiting the wire wsa deemed unnecessary in that cas=
                                      e.)=20
                                      >=20
                                      > Thanks SOOOO much for all the effort you guys put into these forums...reas=
                                      suring for someone dumping money into a new addiction!=20
                                      >=20
                                      > If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion b=
                                      elow:
                                      > http://motion-rc-community-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/1400mm-T28-tp673p23=
                                      59.html
                                      > To unsubscribe from 1400mm T28, click here.
                                      > NAML
                                      Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Thanks guys (tootal505 and loneflier).
                                        "Roger" on the external BEC power connection question. As for experience, yep we (son and I) have some. Have an old Apprentice and an FMS 800 size P47. The latter is a big challenge to land still and hence why we are looking at the t-28 trainer sinse everyone seems to agree they are the best second plane.

We were really interested in the FMS 1400 V3 until I learned it flies much heavier. So we are stuck now between the Dynam and the PZ. I like the slightly larger size of the Dynam but expect to have trouble with the retracts and flaps given what I've read. I like the option to be able to use them though if we want before moving to the larger FMS T-28. I also don't mind fixing them if they don't work for the cheap price of the plane! Part of the experience and good for the 14 year old who thinks he wants to be an engineer!

Thanks again for such great and quick responses!!

Comment

If your not comfortable cutting the red wire, MRC also sells a BEC eliminator cable for $0.89. I think they come in handy.
                                          I have the Parkzone T-28 and the FMS T-28. The Parkzone is a piece of cake to fly. The FMS is a much nicer looking plane but to me is hard to land. She does come in hot.
                                          I always fly the PZ a few times, and if I am having a good day then go to the FMS. Some days I have great landings with both. But if I am having any trouble with the PZ then I won't fly the FMS.
                                          Some days are just better than others LOL.
                                          Happy landings!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X