Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1400mm T28

Hi..
    I just got my new FMS T28 1400mm, and I am waiting for a good day to do a maiden flight. However I am a bit confused on setting up her Flaps for landing. I few quite a few different planes but none have flaps, and I would like to get to start using them. Would really appreciate, if someone could point a direction to where I could get some advice on the FMS, T28 1400mm and on doing my maiden flight. She is an awesome looking bird with the "goofy pilot" and no way I want to pancake her. ..

Comment

Hi Chris,
      Make sure you have some power on during landing. If you cut the power early during landing you will pancake her.
      The more flaps the more power. Put her up high and practice the glide slope.
      My first 20 or so landings were done with no flaps. After a while I was able to add them in.
      Let us know how you do with the maiden.
      I wish you great landings
      Ron

Comment

Hi CaptRon,

Thank you ever so much for your quick and encouraging reply. I just got into the Hobby about 5 to 6 months ago and graduated from a trainer to now flying low wing planes like FMS EXTRA 300, Eflite Advance 25e and I also have the FMS T28 Trojan 1400mm waiting to for its maiden flight.

From what I understand the flaps on a top wing and bottom wind plane work in opposite directions. So far all my landings on my FMS Sky Trainer 1400mm are without flaps and I hope to venture out flying with flaps soon.

Its just that my Hobby Shop called me this morning with a great offer for the FMS P51 1700mm...(I cant resist) and that was the reason for my post.

Speaking of which how difficult of a bird is the FMS p51 1700mm to fly? So reviews say that its the cadillac in the skies, I just dont want to convert this cadillac to a beach buggy ...

Thanks once again and I appreciate all the advice and tips you can share..

Cheers ..and Happy Flying...

Comment

Hi Chris,
          I have the 1400 mm T-28 and the 1400mm P-51 Mustang.
          The Mustang is easier to land than the T-28 (I think anyway) The T-28 has very weak nose gear.
          The Mustang is AWSOME !!! I love this plane.
          I fly the T-28 more than the Mustang because I feel it's more of a challenge. Both want power in the turns and during landing.
          You can spin the Mustang on a dime! I can't say enough about it. The landing gear is great she looks great and is easy to fly.
          I was getting discouraged with the T-28 landing gear. I then tore the front gear out and put in a main wheel and strut from the Mustang main gear. There are no doors, it doesn't steer but it works awesome on grass. I steer it with the rudder and can taxi all over the grass. It does retract also.
          Hope this helps
          Happy landings
          Ron

Comment

One more thing about the flaps:
            They work the same on all planes. They just make it so you can fly slower and keep the same altitude.
            I would land with no flaps until you get used to slow flight with them down.
            Anyone can fly fast. Put her up high, drop the gear and flaps, then decrease the throttle until she stalls. Practice flying JUST above stall speed. After all a great landing is nothing but a controlled stall.
            Once you master that, landings will be easy and look awesome.
            And in my experience be a LOT cheaper LOL.

Comment

Hi Ron...

Once again thanks for helping me restore my confidence about the P51.
              Going by what you say,I guess it's right for me to assume that the FMS P51
              1700MM will have the same flight characteristics of the 1400mm.
              I guess I am sold..going to order the king of my fleet, the FMS P51
              1700MM. plus the t28 wiring kind of puts me off ..but I still believe it's
              a great plane too.

Thanks once again and will keep you updated on the flying.

Be safe ..cheers!

Sent from
              Dominic Christopher
              Samsung Galaxy Note 3
              Mobile : +97155 1897756
              Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
              Web: http://dominicchristopher.wix.com/dominic

On 15 Oct 2014 17:14, "CaptRon [via Motion RC Forum]" <
              ml-node+s1075610n4785h3@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
              > I have the 1400 mm T-28 and the 1400mm P-51 Mustang.
              > The Mustang is easier to land than the T-28 (I think anyway) The T-28 has
              > very weak nose gear.
              > The Mustang is AWSOME !!! I love this plane.
              > I fly the T-28 more than the Mustang because I feel it's more of a
              > challenge. Both want power in the turns and during landing.
              > You can spin the Mustang on a dime! I can't say enough about it. The
              > landing gear is great she looks great and is easy to fly.
              > I was getting discouraged with the T-28 landing gear. I then tore the
              > front gear out and put in a main wheel and strut from the Mustang main
              > gear. There are no doors, it doesn't steer but it works awesome on grass.=
              I
              > steer it with the rudder and can taxi all over the grass. It does retract
              > also.
              > Hope this helps
              > Happy landings
              > Ron
              >
              >
              > ------------------------------
              > If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
              > below:
              > http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/1400mm-T28-tp673p4785.html
              > To unsubscribe from 1400mm T28, click here
              > <http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?ma=
              cro=3Dunsubscribe_by_code&node=3D673&code=3DZG9taW 5pYy5jaHJpc3RvcGhlckBnbWF=
              pbC5jb218NjczfC02MTQxNTQyNzE=3D>
              > .
              > NAML
              cro=3Dmacro_viewer&id=3Dinstant_html%21nabble%3Aem ail.naml&base=3Dnabble.na=
              ml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabbl=
              e.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=3Dno tify_subscribers%21nabble=
              %3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nab=
              ble%3Aemail.naml>
              >

Comment

Hi Chris. I've got 2 T-28's and 2 P-51's and they all fly great. My advice would be to get some hours on that T-28 first and get comfy flying it. It will float in quite nicely upon landing with a little flap as long as your not going to slow. After all the T28 was built as a trainer and it helped me a bunch in the learning process. The P-51 is a little different as they like a little more speed. In level flight they fly with a slight nose up attitude and it takes a little getting used to because it looks like it's trying to climb. Take off's and landing a tail dragger is a little different as you must use the rudder to steer the plane once the tail comes up. Don't make turns to slowly as the wing tip will stall first, make sure you are lined up with the runway before you back off the throttle. Land with 1/2- 1/4 stick and let it slowly fly down to the ground, don't force it down...Hope this helps...

Tootall505 ( Chris )
                Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Wow..thanks a ton Ron..

That's was wealth of advice for a newbe like myself. Although I plan to
                  pick up the P51 1700 mm petty soon, only because of a special offer. I
                  don't plan to fly her until I have done a lot more sky miles on only my
                  planes including my trainers, not forgetting time on the simulator.

Thanks once again and I am sorry but I would need to trouble you for advice
                  on learning to fly with flaps.

Will keep you posted, and thanks once again.

Sent from
                  Dominic Christopher
                  Samsung Galaxy Note 3
                  Mobile : +97155 1897756
                  Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
                  Web: http://dominicchristopher.wix.com/dominic

On 15 Oct 2014 18:26, "Tootall505 [via Motion RC Forum]" <
                  ml-node+s1075610n4789h27@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris. I've got 2 T-28's and 2 P-51's and they all fly great. My advic=
                  e
                  > would be to get some hours on that T-28 first and get comfy flying it. It
                  > will float in quite nicely upon landing with a little flap as long as you=
                  r
                  > not going to slow. After all the T28 was built as a trainer and it helped
                  > me a bunch in the learning process. The P-51 is a little different as the=
                  y
                  > like a little more speed. In level flight they fly with a slight nose up
                  > attitude and it takes a little getting used to because it looks like it's
                  > trying to climb. Take off's and landing a tail dragger is a little
                  > different as you must use the rudder to steer the plane once the tail com=
                  es
                  > up. Don't make turns to slowly as the wing tip will stall first, make sur=
                  e
                  > you are lined up with the runway before you back off the throttle. Land
                  > with 1/2- 1/4 stick and let it slowly fly down to the ground, don't force
                  > it down...Hope this helps...
                  >
                  >
                  > Tootall505 ( Chris )
                  >
                  > ------------------------------
                  > below:
                  > http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/1400mm-T28-tp673p4789.html
                  > To unsubscribe from 1400mm T28, click here
                  cro=3Dunsubscribe_by_code&node=3D673&code=3DZG9taW 5pYy5jaHJpc3RvcGhlckBnbWF=
                  pbC5jb218NjczfC02MTQxNTQyNzE=3D>
                  > .
                  > NAML
                  cro=3Dmacro_viewer&id=3Dinstant_html%21nabble%3Aem ail.naml&base=3Dnabble.na=
                  ml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabbl=
                  e.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=3Dno tify_subscribers%21nabble=
                  %3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nab=
                  ble%3Aemail.naml>
                  >

Comment

No problem at all Chris.
                    Ask any time. There is nothing much I like better than to talk about this stuff.
                    Let me know how it all goes.
                    Ron
                    Oh and Tootall was a great help for me as well. He knows a lot about these birds.
                    He had a thread about the T-28 expo and hi-low rates set on the radio.
                    Good luck with it. Hope she does well for you.

Comment

>> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
                      >> below:
                      >> http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/1400mm-T28-tp673p4785.html
                      >> To unsubscribe from 1400mm T28, click here
                      >> <http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?m
                      >> acro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=673&code=ZG9taW5pYy5 jaHJpc3RvcGhlckBnbWFp
                      >> bC5jb218NjczfC02MTQxNTQyNzE=> .
                      >> NAML
                      >> <http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?m
                      >> acro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail .naml&base=nabble.nam
                      >> l.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-na
                      >> bble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=n otify_subscribers%21n
                      >> abble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_em
                      >> ail%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
                      >>
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > _______________________________________________
                      > below:
                      > http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/1400mm-T28-tp673p4787.html
                      >
                      >
                      > To unsubscribe from 1400mm T28, visit
                      > http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?mac
                      > ro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=673&code=cm9uQG1pZ2h0e WR1Y3QuY29

Comment

CaptRon and Tootall505 have been great contributores for me and I have the FMS T28 1400mm because of their previous posts. Can confirm what both have said in response to Chris...includeing related to the P51 as I have two of those (older V2 Petie models).

I am WAY interested in the main-wing multi-connector you mentioned in the last post. If that is the piece that takes all the wires formthe wing into one connector which would mate to a single conenctor inthe fuselage, then I want that. I can;t fit all three 1400's into the same car because I refuse to take the T28 main wing off after I finally have all the wiring cleaned up (and I only added the external BEC, not all the other telemetry gizmos CaptRon has!)

CaptRon, if you found that new part (I hear dit was part of the newer P51's bt can;t find it to order it), would you sent online link to it so I can buy?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Envelope-to: ml-node+s1075610n4795h44@n5.nabble.com
                          Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:08:37 -0700
                          Received: from s09.etcserver.com ([216.144.247.66])
                          by joe.nabble.com with esmtp (Exim 4.72)
                          (envelope-from <ron@mightyduct.com>)
                          id 1XeS3s-0000Jf-N2
                          for ml-node+s1075610n4795h44@n5.nabble.com; Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:08:37 -0700
                          DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mightyduct.com; s=default;
                          h=Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type:MIME-Version:To:From:Subject:Date:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID; bh=OhetuZnuzlHdHs4nMVQCLDeXNXrlGeRcSWduuZWBDto=;
                          b=IiN92nOqAzsq5XHBur/8S5fKeORYe9+RWy5eirNQyWK5mXK+wb3BB4NS+g4vbkFu8mPhD PhAeGeu/P8VEPmcxzpb1FnW6Oy74arcLX8YBQqvFhuPEtaLr8WUWR8LE4e V4NmgNICKs+VXwQApywZQf7TvKIADuPZaWPV4dfkrizA=;
                          Received: from localhost ([::1]:60153 helo=s09.etcserver.com)
                          by s09.etcserver.com with esmtpa (Exim 4.82)
                          (envelope-from <ron@mightyduct.com>)
                          id 1XeS3Y-00051f-3M
                          for ml-node+s1075610n4795h44@n5.nabble.com; Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:08:12 -0500
                          Received: from 50.177.216.134 ([50.177.216.134])
                          (SquirrelMail authenticated user ron@mightyduct.com)
                          by s09.etcserver.com with HTTP;
                          Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:08:12 -0500
                          Message-ID: <a3ce29030da70806f107e466d0a49f16.squirrel@s09.etc server.com>
                          In-Reply-To: <1413392475110-4795.post@n5.nabble.com>
                          References: <1381280911121-889.post@n5.nabble.com>
                          <1381318686425-891.post@n5.nabble.com>
                          <1391527867472-1651.post@n5.nabble.com>
                          <1391546682919-1652.post@n5.nabble.com>
                          <1413358118590-4781.post@n5.nabble.com>
                          <1413376737569-4783.post@n5.nabble.com>
                          <1413377474528-4784.post@n5.nabble.com>
                          <1413378869619-4785.post@n5.nabble.com>
                          <CAHzBzGEh-4OMTmxOHy5y9n+Ur8rv0pQuo6EDACHkqNCF=09RtQ@mail.gma il.com>
                          <011780eccff17a9a84a6ff637848049b.squirrel@s09.etc server.com>
                          <1413392475110-4795.post@n5.nabble.com>
                          Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:08:12 -0500
                          Subject: Re: 1400mm T28
                          To: "RC_Warrior [via Motion RC Forum]" <ml-node+s1075610n4795h44@n5.nabble.com>
                          User-Agent: SquirrelMail/1.5.2 [SVN]
                          MIME-Version: 1.0
                          Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1
                          X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
                          X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - s09.etcserver.com
                          X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - n5.nabble.com
                          X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [47 12] / [47 12]
                          X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - mightyduct.com
                          X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: s09.etcserver.com: authenticated_id: ron@mightyduct.com
                          X-SA-Exim-Connect-IP: 216.144.247.66
                          X-SA-Exim-Mail-From: ron@mightyduct.com
                          X-SA-Exim-Scanned: No (on joe.nabble.com); SAEximRunCond expanded to false

I found them on Motion RC
                          http://www.motionrc.com/fms-p-51d-mustang-v8-red-tail-1450mm-57-wingspan-pnp/#spare-parts

Remember you need part 1 and part 2. It took some work but it was worth
                          it. I used a servo tester and marked what was connected to what.

On Wed, October 15, 2014 12:01 pm, RC_Warrior [via Motion RC Forum] wrote:
                          >

>
                          > CaptRon and Tootall505 have been great contributores for me and I have
                          > the FMS T28 1400mm because of their previous posts. Can confirm what
                          > both have said in response to Chris...includeing related to the P51 as I
                          > have two of those (older V2 Petie models).
                          >
                          > I am WAY interested in the main-wing multi-connector you mentioned in the
                          > last post. If that is the piece that takes all the wires formthe wing
                          > into one connector which would mate to a single conenctor inthe fuselage,
                          > then I want that. I can;t fit all three 1400's into the same car because
                          > I refuse
                          > to take the T28 main wing off after I finally have all the wiring cleaned
                          > up (and I only added the external BEC, not all the other telemetry gizmos
                          > CaptRon has!)
                          >
                          >
                          > CaptRon, if you found that new part (I hear dit was part of the newer
                          > P51's
                          > bt can;t find it to order it), would you sent online link to it so I can
                          > buy?
                          >
                          > Thanks in advance!
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > _______________________________________________
                          > below:
                          > http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/1400mm-T28-tp673p4795.html
                          >
                          >
                          > To unsubscribe from 1400mm T28, visit
                          > http://motion-rc-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?mac
                          > ro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=673&code=cm9uQG1pZ2h0e WR1Y3Qu

Comment

Yeah Ron,

I really wish the T28 had the multi connector, its something I have been thinking about the last couple of weeks. I need to get that and install it in my T28, dont want to end up spending half the day connecting wires rather than flying.

Also thanks for the reference of tootall, will like to get his advice too..

Cheers!
                            PS: Right now in the process of ordering my FMS P51 1700mm Red Tail Mustang.. its like Christmas has come early... <smiley image="anim_jump.gif"/>

Comment

Hi RC_Worrior ,

If I am not mistaken I think even Diamond Hobby has them up for sale in thier spare part section.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks a ton Tootall,

I appreciate the advice, experienced a tip stall once.. was the worst thing I ever encountered, luck the damage was only a broken prop. I hope to get really comfy with the T28 and also flying with flaps, like you also rightly advised and then, when i think I am confident enough, I will try the P51.

Could you please tell me what are the throw rates on your flaps and on elevator mix for the T28?
                                The FMS Manual is so informative, all that tell you are the page numbers ...<smiley image="anim_crazy.gif"/>

Thanks a ton..

Comment

Go barebones:
                                  http://www.espritmodel.com/multiplex-connectors-5-pair.aspx

Comment

Thanks for the link...I will look into it..

Cheers

Comment

They can be had cheaper if you can find them. They're known as a 6-pin multiplex connector, usually used with glider wing hookups. There's an 8 pin version if you have a bird where the gear could be run thru it, but haven't used them as most gliders aren't equipped. Easier to locate & possibly cheaper, some just use a bare DB-9 connector.

Comment

Hey Chris. Look in Chat section " Misc. RC airplane chat " on page 5 my post named " New 1400mm T-28 ". About half way down the post is a response by Crosswind 92. I used those radio settings for my plane and they work perfectly. I tweeked some a little due to my flying style but they work great for a base line radio setup. We fly Skektrum DX8's but the setting would hold true for almost any radio (more or less). I used everything except the rud/aileron mix because I fly using the rudder stick, many people don't and use a mix. I think using the rudder makes you a better pilot instead of mixing it and flying with the right stick only. As far as how far the flap moves I would have to measure them. Use a 3 position switch for flaps. 0 being all the way up, 1 being mid for take off's and 2 being for landing's. Even flaps all the way down couldn't be any more then 1 1/4 to 1 3/8, maybe just a inch of movement. It doesn't take much. The T-28 requires a elev mix. I think it's down elevator. Best way to tell is fly the plane flaps up with no elev mix. Then about 1/2-3/4 throttle flip the flaps to mid and see if the plane pitches up or down. that will tell you which way to go on the elev mix either pos + or neg - on the elev %.

Hope that helps.

tootall505.

PS... the P-51's don't need any flap/elev mix. At least mine don't anyway..
                                        Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Thanks for sharing that info..it is a very helpful to me. Hopefully I will be receiving my P51 1700mm this evening<smiley image="anim_jump.gif"/><smiley image="anim_claps.gif"/> (the yellow Ferocious Frankie), as excited as I am ...I am also very intimidated by this plane. I have flown EXTRA 300's, PT17 Strearman, low wing balsa wood semi aerobatic planes but the P51 to me seems like a whole different ball game.
                                          Questions: On take off, does the P51 require an initial elevator down, just to get the tail up or will a bit of the lowered flaps do the trick? I have hear that this plane can nose over without the initial elevator down on take off.
                                          I would have a few sleepless nights if I crashed on my maiden takeoff..

Please advice the right process / approach in doing initial flights with this baby. Although I will look at flying her only after I have completed a lot of successful flights on the T28 1400mm

Comment

Working...
                                          X