X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 1400mm T-28...

Hello everyone. I got my new T-28 yesterday and built it this morning. I assume it a V-3 because it doesn't say anywhere. No missing parts and the box was undamaged. Building was a dream and NO GLUE, all parts were bolt on which is great for replacement when needed. All the Youtube videos I've seen about the T28 have the sequenced retract doors, but this one does not. I guess they made a change and its good not having 3 more servos to worry about and the mechanical doors work just fine. It has just 9 servos. Every thing fit perfectly and it looks awesome. Love the prop and spinner. It came with 2 pilots which is cool but they are both the same guy. Oh well. I did put a Castle 10 amp BEC and disabled the internal BEC on the speed control. I'm going to use the stock speed control for now but may upgrade later. I heard about changing the nose wheel to a 2-1/2" Dubro but the one I got was too wide and it rubbed the strut. I guess I got the wrong one. If anyone know the right one let me know. I can't wait to fly it because everyone says it's awesome and I'm sure it will be.
    Tootall505 (Chris).

Re: New 1400mm T-28...

Motion RC service and shipping ROCKS!!!!!
    Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Maiden Flight of the 1400mm T28 went pretty well. Taxi down the run way was good, not to much torque steer. Lift off was good but a little right stick was needed to keep it level. After a few minutes of trimming it was all good. it flew very well, felt kinda heavy but I expected that for my P51 experience. Flew several circuits around the field and then it was time to land. Slowed to around 1/4 stick and it felt really heavy then. Dropped the gear and came in a little hot. Didn't use the flaps. Touched down a little further down the strip then I would have liked and ran off the runway into the dirt. Plane flipped over, canopy came off but it landed back on the wheels. Scratched the left wing tip a little on the bottom, small crack on the right tail but all in all very minor. Got back to the pits and found the motor firewall was loose, Nothing a little epoxy wont fix. Over all very pleased with the first flight and excited that I "maiden" my own plane for the first time. Can't wait till next weekend to get some more flight time and practice. Very very pleased with the new T28.
      Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

These 1400mm+ planes like to be landed with the flaps down.
        Hangar: 90mm F16, 90mm F-15, 80mm Mirage, 90mm F-18, 1400mm P-40, 64mm F-22

RIP: 80mm F-14

Comment

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
          Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

How I land mine is drop gear first on a low pass, throttle around half, to check they are down. Drop flaps half way( have a three position), make the turn and line up for runway, then drop full flaps, cut throttle to about one third, with a tad up elevator can float it in using light throttle, but it does eat up 150' of my 200 of runway.

When you cut the throttle and fly slow it helps to put the flaps half down, makes it float a lot easier. Don't remember the exact throws, setting one is a tad under half, full flaps are as far as I could make the flaps go by hand then adjusting accordingly.

Comment

Thanks for the info Crosswind_92. I wasn't sure how much flap to give it having no reference to set up.
              The flaps will go down pretty far and wasn't sure if it was to much or not. It would be nice if they gave a general set up sheet as far as DR/EXPO, flap/elev mix %, ect... I added flaps to my Parkzone T28 but don't use them all that much on that plane. I did set up the 1400mm like the PZ T28, just gave it more %'s. How much elev did you add the flap mix? I use a Spek DX8 and have 3 position switch's. I had to remove the 4 way harness for the elev/wing lights and plug the elev in direct. I disconnected all the lights because I don't fly at night and you really cant see them in daylight anyway. Any set up help you can give would be awesome.
              Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

I use a DX 8 as well. I drive truck and had a dumb thumb moment... the controller is in here with me for the simulator or I would of gave you the #'s then. So here is how mine is set up:

Aileron pos 0 dr 70, expo 15, pos 1 dr 100, expo 30, pos 2 rate 100, expo 0
                elevato pos 0 dr 70 expo 20, pos 1 dr 100 expo 35, pos 2 rate 100 expo 0
                rudder pos 0 dr 80 expo 10, pos 1 dr 100 expo 20, pos 2 rate 100 expo 0

flaps Norm: -100 elev 0%
                mid: 25% elev 8%
                land: 120% elev 15%
                speed: 3.0s

Also I did a mix of Ail > Rud of 35%
                Also use a throttle cut on the mix switch, that big prop and power behind it worried me a little in moving it around. But make sure you are switched to the armed setting before hooking the bat, otherwise the ESC won't arm the throttle.

Have the flaps in one hole on the flap connector as well, will have to check when I get home. Might of done the same with the rudder, didn't think it had quite enough throw.

Fly it with a 4s 3600 Admiral bat from motion set in the middle of the bat tray, cg came out good with the gear up.

Plan to take the 6 channel receiver out and put in an 8, put the cowl flaps on their own channel and get a switch to plug in the landing light to so it only comes on when I land. Want to put the MrRc sound in it too.

I leave the expo on the third setting at 0, sometimes flip to it to see how bad I am crossing my inputs<smiley image="smiley_whistling.gif"/>

On takeoff I drop full flaps, at lift off go to mid setting, raise the gear then put the flaps to norm. Don't know if it really matters, just the way I do it.

Have around 20 flights on this one and it all works well.

Enjoy, any more questions feel free to ask.

Kevin

Comment

Crosswinds have some good points on landing the T-28. I use full flaps for landings and cut the throttle to about 1/4 after lining up. She floats in very nicely with just a tad of up elevator. Add throttle as needed to keep the air moving on the wings. I keep some power until touch town and then cut it.

Comment

Thanks a million for the set up info. The D/R - expo I had pretty close to your settings, but I didn't have near as much flap. When you said you put the clevis in the first hole, do you mean the first hole closest to the flap surface?. How much throttle do you use at take off with the flaps down. On my first few flights I wasn't using the flaps at all for takeoff. The club field I fly at when ours is closed has a 300' runway. Our club field is the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta park. The whole park is 360 acres and 1.5 miles long. 7 huge grass squares with paved roads surrounding each. It's a must see place. Anyway.. Can't wait to try new setup on my plane.

Chris. J
                    Duke City Electric Flyers.
                    Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

In one hole in on the flap control horn, just trying to get a little more throw. My field at the house is a 200 ft runway that I covered with old flat bed tarps(d rings down) works rather well, no resistance for take off, but none to slow down a landing either.
                      Take off is a slow gradual increase in throttle tell pretty much at full when I lift her up.

The wide open spaces for flying are great. Kind of closed in at the house. 300' each end of the runway till trees! Have a comfortable 10 to 15 acres to fly over though. My uncle has 30 acres in a river bottom which is seeded to grass, crop ground all around. Fly there time to time, doing acrobatics or trying a little 3D is a lot easier having time to develop it more. More room to open up the faster birds too.

I live in northern Missouri, but truck to the northwest, hauling mainly parts for the big birds of Boeing, so have a membership to a flying club up there.

Best of luck and may the winds be calm.

Kevin

Comment

Well it was another picture prefect day to fly in Albuquerque NM. 66 degrees and a 3-5 mph breeze blowing straight down the runway made for some picture perfect landings. I couldn't be happier with the new T28 after getting the set up's and landing suggestions from Crosswind_92. They work perfectly with a little tweaking for my flying style and our altitude of 5280' above sea level. At take off I use mid flaps, after lift off I raise flaps then raise gear. Flip to high rate for some loops and rolls. Fly about 3/4 throttle. On a fly by I flip to mid flaps, the lower the gear and turn to line up with runway. Then flip full flaps and cut throttle to about 1/3 and she just floats in. Landing on main gear first then setting down on the front wheel. Such a beautiful thing I wish I had a video camera. lol. Thanks to everyone for your tips as it made my flying much more enjoyable.

Chris J.
                        Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Yeah Kevin,

Thanks for the very informative post, I was actually advice to read it by Tootall, as he was sharing his advice with me, as I plan to do a maiden flight on my new FMS T28 1400mm.
                          I was very confused about setting the DR and Expos and also the whole flap setting and elevator mixing stuff. Most planes I fly are without flaps and only my new t28 and my FMS Sky Trainer has flaps which I never use on landings...and I am still able to bring her down like a feather...
                          Also now that I will soon be receiving the FMS P51 1700mm, I would really like to get your advice when needed, and if that s kool with you.

Once again thanks for the informative post and I wil try the settings out ..
                          Cheers and happy flying

Comment

Dual rate's or DR has to do with how far the control surface moves when you move the stick. As in crosswinds post above Pos 0 70, Pos 1 100, Pos 2 100. Assuming you have 3 position switches pos 0 would be you normal flying rate, pos 1& 2 would be more for doing acrobatics like loops and roll's and inverted flight where you want more control surface movement. Expo is how sensitive the stick is anound the center of the stick. Generally you want more expo on lower rate positions so the plane isn't so jerky when your just flying around normally. When you doing acrobatics you want the plane more responsive to your stick movements.

Hope this helps...

Tootall505.
                            Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Hi Guys..
                              I did my maiden flight and many more on my T28, 1400mm. The maiden flight was great, and required very little trims. After readjusting the control surfaces she flew with out any trips, very smooth, clean and with a lot of control. I found it a very easy plane to fly and did all my landings very soft and smooth with not flaps. Once I have done a few more flights, I will then look at using the flaps for takeoff and landing.

Thanks to Capt Ron and Tootall for all your tips and advice to my my maiden flight a very fun and safe one. I really do appreciate you guys help.
                              Hope you guys are hav a great time flying too...Cheers and safe landings..

Comment

Hi Chris, I'm glad you had a very successful maiden flight. The T28 is a great plane and you will enjoy it more and more. If you were landing it without flaps that's great. You may not need them. They come in very handy in short landing strip situations where running off the runway is a concern. Lots of people don't use them at all, but I think its good to know how to use them when needed.

Happy landings.
                                Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Hi Tootall,

Yes the T28 is a great plane and I am sure there is going to be a lot more fun flying it. I totally agree with you, about know how to take off and land with flaps, and I hope to venture out doing so after I have a few more flights in the pocket.
                                  And once I got the T28, all locked in, my next step is my FMS P51, Ferocious Frankie 1700mm. But it will take a while at least after a few months. Thanks once again for your encouraging support not forgetting Capt Ron, I really do appreciate it.

Happy and safe flying.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                  X