X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone suggest a the best rc magazine

In need of some good rc airplane reading material at work. Looking for the best rc magazine to read? Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks...

Re: Can anyone suggest a the best rc magazine

Model Aviation is certainly one option. If you signup for an AMA membership you get a free subscription.

http://www.modelaviation.com/

Comment

In addition to Model Aviation, I like Model Airplane News, Electric Flight, and Park Pilot. I subscribe to all of them and really enjoy reading them. Especially the articles about electric powered aircraft and flight reviews of the new releases. If you join AMA, Model Aviation and Park Pilot are both available wit your membership.

Comment

I guess I remember the "good old days", but frankly today's magazines read, in general, like catalogs. The actual airplane advice, plans, and articles about aviation and how the same principles govern our models as they do on their full size brethren are sorely lacking.

If you pick up almost any of those mags today, you'll find ad after ad extoling the virtues of the same planes. The 'reviews' are a bad joke. Pick out any ten magazine reviews at random. You'll find virtually no negative comments. As they say, "Follow the money".

I'm sorry to be so negative, and those mags do indeed sometimes offer advice that's quite useful to some. But in my opinion, your money is better spent on a book written in the '40s called 'Stick and Rudder' by Wolfgang Langewiesche. You'll find more info there than in fifteen years worth of magazines. I also subscribe to 'Flying' magazine. It's, once again, about full size aircraft, but the useful info far exceeds what you'll find in today's hobby publications. Pick up and issue in a well stocked magazine section. I guaranty you'll not be able to put it down without digging into it.

No, I am not a full size aircraft pilot. I do know a couple though, including one guy who restores mostly WWII airplanes (Mostly British as he is himself) He did a Staggerwing once that you COULDN'T eat off, because the finish was better than most fine china. His Fairey Firefly took the Golden Wrench award at Oshkosh a few years ago. I'm steeped heavily in aviation without a doubt. My dad flew RC in the fifties, and he and his buddies provided many useful concepts and an education for which I am now eternally grateful. But get that book! You'll find out things about aviation that you had never thought about at all. You'll find out, for instance why airplanes really fly. Most think they do. Most are misinformed.

Comment

I'm sorry the above post was as negative sounding as it turned out. Perhaps a combination of modern mags and classic books on aviation and its guiding principles is the way to go. I'm not one of those negative types who just like to grouch online. I enjoyed the hobby as it was then, and of course, like all of us, I pine for simpler times. If you don't yet, hang on, you will.

I guess the hobby is just a different kind of thing from what it was back then. I own foamies myself, and will no doubt purchase more. I suppose it sort of chaps my hide to hear folks talking about 'building' an ARF, when all the real work is already done. Sigh, The world keeps changing, and no matter how I try to keep up, I will inevitably lose ground. Ask any 'older' person to give you an honest answer on that one.

I raced full size cars for twenty five years. A negative attitude will sink you in that pursuit faster than a rock with holes drilled in it. Us retired racers have a saying: "The older I get, the faster I was". I think that about sums it up.

But please, check into some of the full size aviation sources for education about flight. It'll benefit you more than you may think. Sure, it's more than a battery pack, but the fascination and education you'll get is worth much more. Start with "Stick and rudder". You'll be amazed.

Again, I apologize for any offense that may have been taken.

Bill W.

Comment

I really like "Model Airplane News'. But [please note], you just can not find any true honest evaluation from the review authors anymore . They NEVER offer any major criticism, like that expressed on the internet forums , and have no real world subjective content.

It all comes down to the authors and publisher not trying to criticize the vendors, thus becoming outcasts in the r/c industry !!!

Comment

I too think may of today's mags are catalogues and because of publishing timelines often outdated at that. I think I saw that "Flying Models" has recently ceased and that was a mag that covered all aspects of model aviation and one that I have many, many years of bound volumes. For R/C I like "R/C Model Aeroplane" and "Quiet & Electric Flight". Both are UK mags but much variety,good technical articles and free plans. One can subscribe or many B&N bookstores carry them. The only US mag I glance at is "Fly R/C" and then buy as required.

I am lucky that my son is computer savvy and can download any model mag for me but reading those European and Asian ones can be very hard!

Comment

Working...
              X