X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you learn to land

Just wondering what everyone learned to land with. I've been trying to land my SU29, but they are atrocious, to put it nicely. Landing my mini and glider are no problem(obviously), but I have been out the last 2 days trying with it and just can't seem to grasp it. It lands, just really really hard. I'm thinking I need to get a big high wing or the T28 with fixed gear and get it down with that before going back to my SU.

What's the issue? Nose-over?
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I land hard on the front gear, practically a hard belly landing. I've tried comming in with different speeds and such, I just havent figured it out yet.

Comment

You may be trying to land it too slowly - models like that have to come down under power, so you can keep the nose high. Basically, fly it to the ground, then chop the power.

Comment

Yeah, I was trying that, but I think I'm still cutting it too early

Comment

I have to bring my P-38 and P-39 in under power and only cut power during rollout, if I don't they drop like a rock.
            TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	14519735_10210582239102998_4203284683202599619_n.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	49721
              Another thing I found out was that my depth perception sucks, lol. I was at the far left stand landing right to left. We have a 300ft runway, and it is still in the air when it gets to me(over half the runway missed) so I just cut the power. I'm thinking I need to be closer to where I should be touching down to allow the proper rollout and not cartwheel into the grass.

The "X" is usually about the area I "land" it.

Comment

That will help until you "learn" the landing, I have a couple planes that have taken me awhile to get the landing right.
                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by ace184 View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]n49721[/ATTACH]
                  Another thing I found out was that my depth perception sucks, lol. I was at the far left stand landing right to left. We have a 300ft runway, and it is still in the air when it gets to me(over half the runway missed) so I just cut the power. I'm thinking I need to be closer to where I should be touching down to allow the proper rollout and not cartwheel into the grass.

The "X" is usually about the area I "land" it.
                  WinterSol & Tirediron both have shared great advice. If you "just cut the power" because your running out of runway, it's almost a sure bet your going to land hard. Remember this in those situations, don't accept it as the only option but to cut power in order to land before the end of the runway, and "boom" you end of with a HARD landing. You do (with exceptions) have the option to power up and go around. Make adjustments/changes to what just happened, and make a good landing. Just this last weekend with both my P-38 and F-86, I came in a little long or fast. And instead of just cutting power to try and touchdown before the end of the runway, I powered up and went around. Then had a great landing. And like Tirediron had mentioned, with the P-38 if you just cut power, she will drop like a rock!! (Not so much with the F-86)
                  Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                  Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

I learn by trial and error but with each new plane, the amount of error becomes less and less. Each plane lands a bit differently so what you learn from one plane may not necessarily translate directly or completely to another. The SU-29 is a 3D plane and that one has not been an easy plane to fly for most of the guys at my field who had one. I say "had" because all of them have shelved their 29's. They just never flew well and landing was a hit and miss thing for them.
                    I experiment with changing power (and speed) on approach, altering flap settings if the plane has them, try longer approach, shorter approach, when and when not to chop power, changing AoA on final. With exception of my sailplanes, I've found that, unlike real light aircraft, models don't tend to glide and near stall to touchdown very well. EDFs, like the real thing, need to be powered down to the ground. I don't feel there is a single rule of thumb when it comes to landing a model plane nor is there a rule of thumb that applies to everybody.

Comment

It's one of the 3 planes I got in a trade, so I don't have any money in it really. I remember reading up on it and everyone said to stay out of the first mode because it would unexpectedly just nose dive. The landing gear has seen better days, now I am starting to figure out why.

Comment

Hope you didn't trade off a plane you really liked. Anyhow keep on plugging and maybe lessen some of the throws on the plane when landing. It definitely helps me when I have to come in faster on some planes.
                        Dewey l

Comment

It was the 1200mm T28 that I bought on an impulse buy and never touched. Knew I wasn't ready for it and getting 3 planes for 1 isn't bad, lol.

Comment

I used to deadstick all my landings because my 1st rc plane was my radian. It seemed easiest to just kill it & let it settle. Now that I have 6 planes I agree with previous comments, it varies from plane to plane. I also am still learning my transmitter as well, now that can adjust my flap/elevator mix on my cz cub & cz t28 I grease those planes in under power. My edf I still deadstick because it seems to stick better rather than bounce. My corsair glides like crazy so I deadstick it too. I find I land better on grass rather than pavement, but I like either. My Sukhoi is different every time, still trying to perfect that one. That thing is so jumpy you can over correct it if you just breathe on the dang stick. I removed the "safe" receiver & fly it on a plain one. Did the same with the corsair & like em a whole lot better.

Comment

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I always teach people to a touch and go. I have them repeat over and over. It gives people the feel of flying a plane to the ground with power. Once you prefect a touch and go, landing is the same thing. Do a touch and go but don't put the power back on. I'm going to guess the majority of people who have landing problems are landing too slowly. If you land hard, it is because of too little speed. If you bounce, again this is due to a lack of speed. You should have a nice long roll out. This will allow you to grease the landing every time. Depth perception is a whole separate issue. I admit this happens to me from time to time. Depth perception is very difficult when you are in the air.

Comment

Reading the posts above I see several of you are suffering from the depth perception issue. I have the same problem too. This happens because you focus on one point for a period of time, and this in turn produces tunnel vision. The problem gets worse with age too.

With the above in mind when you bring the model in for landing things are out of perspective. Normally you land short because of this issue, and you were absolutely positive the model was on the runway.

The next time you fly, try the following. It works for me. When you have the model set up for a landing and you are on the final approach with the wings level. Momentary take your eyes off the model and focus on the end of the runway and then back on the model and you will find it all come back in perspective as to where you really are. At this point you may need to open the throttle slightly to bring the model closer. It will not be where you thought it was.

Martin

Comment

Well I went back out yesterday. First battery, 4 landings. 2 great ones, 1 average, 1 rough(but not nearly as rough as before)....Second battery, 2 good landings then met a tree. Guess the wind pushed me further than I thought, or like Martin said, I got so fixated on the aircraft I lost all depth of my surroundings. 40 foot drop onto the landing gear, and survived with only 2 small cracks on either side of the landing gear. My first crash :)

Comment

Another good thing to remember is you control altitude with the throttle not the Elevator, once you get on a good glide slope to where the plane will touch down on the end of the Runway. If it looks like you are going to be short of the runway then simply add some Throttle --Refrain from pulling up elevator as this will only make matters worse as you will slow the plane even more and it will drop so be sure to just add throttle to increase Lift on the wings and she won't sink for a bit and then you will find yourself over the runway. Try to visualize this in your head, the plane is going to be a bit short bring in throttle and now the sink rate slows or stops momentarily now you're over the runway. Remember the goal is to get on the right glide slope that is the key, not do like most come screaming in then chop throttle. Remember to practice this and if you are coming in too hot then simply go around. When I first learned to fly I would take a jug of Nitro to the field and Fly Touch N Go's all day long until the jug was almost empty and repeat this for a week or two until I was wearing the wheels off the plane.

Comment

Never stop practicing landings, they are compulsory. Take offs are optional.

Martin

Comment

I agree with Wayne. Get in a good descent path and use the throttle to control the descent rate. Applying up elevator will usually make the plane balloon.
                                        ---
                                        Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                        X