You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the worst CRASH you ever had? Let us see your photo.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the worst CRASH you ever had? Let us see your photo.

Howdy Pilots, So far the worst crash I've had, I didn't get a photo of it. I did get a video, so there is a place to watch it. Some of the worst crashes, was Two 1200MM F4U-Corsairs. I got them from B/H when those first 120MM came out. (The folding wing version).

The folding wing one's that were pretty trick; I have a photo. I was flying with the drop tanks & bombs attached. I would get into a loop, once it pulled out; it would go into a death spiral with no control. I'd bet it was me and, I'd get frazzled, so I didn't keep my sticks under control.

The dumb thing was, I did the exact same thing, right after I had just crashed one of them. Told myself, you dumb azz, what was I thinking? Not thinking is more like it.

Easily my LX F-35. Completely disintegrated on impact. Rotated and climbed out no problem, power was excellent, and the model was very stable in pitch. In roll however, it was a real pig. Roll control was fine at low bank angles <25 deg. Above that, roll control became extremely sluggish, and above 40 deg, it would drop a wingtip, and recover level. That is a real problem for a jet that requires quite a bit of bank to turn! I did 2 patterns to try to get used to it again and lowered the gear, and put in 10 deg of flaperons. This was approximately 2:00 into the flight. On my downwind leg I had pretty good speed, and a wingtip dropped. I recovered the wingtip, but as I did, the nose pitched up, stalled, and the plane stood on its tail, then did a hammerhead straight into the ground from 50 ft. I have never seen an edf behave like this model. Mine just might have been too heavy for those thin wings to lift.

This is why we need Freewing to produce a good, scale looking, 80mm F-35A!

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
      Easily my LX F-35. Completely disintegrated on impact. Rotated and climbed out no problem, power was excellent, and the model was very stable in pitch. In roll however, it was a real pig. Roll control was fine at low bank angles <25 deg. Above that, roll control became extremely sluggish, and above 40 deg, it would drop a wingtip, and recover level. That is a real problem for a jet that requires quite a bit of bank to turn! I did 2 patterns to try to get used to it again and lowered the gear, and put in 10 deg of flaperons. This was approximately 2:00 into the flight. On my downwind leg I had pretty good speed, and a wingtip dropped. I recovered the wingtip, but as I did, the nose pitched up, stalled, and the plane stood on its tail, then did a hammerhead straight into the ground from 50 ft. I have never seen an edf behave like this model. Mine just might have been too heavy for those thin wings to lift.

This is why we need Freewing to produce a good, scale looking, 80mm F-35A!
      Roger that, an 80MM would be the ticket for that aircraft. I'll mention that, even a 90MM would be cool, the F-35 is a popular air frame among many pilots including myself. Thank you, for sharing your experience. Sounds like, it was one of those; needed more time & height to recover it. Have a Merry Christmas! I'll post the 80MM request! :)

Comment

The worst crash that I ever had barely damaged the airplane. How can it be the worst then you ask? Let me tell you!! It was late January, and the spot where I was flying had a sizeable water feature. I was flying the old balsa Lanier F-20 that I had built several months before, and had many flights on. The temperature outside was about 36 degrees, and I was dressed for it. I was doing some aerobatics with the plane, and it wound up in an inverted flat spin, and it would not recover. SPLASH!!! Right in the middle of the pond!! So, determined to retrieve my plane, I took off my coat, and went to dive into the pond to get it. I took three steps in and dove....into 6 inches of water!!!! Turns out, the pond was only a foot deep at its deepest point. So, soaking wet and covered in mud, I walked out and retrieved my plane, that only had a broken fin. You may proceed to laugh until you wet yourselves now, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloverzero View Post
          The worst crash that I ever had barely damaged the airplane. How can it the worst then you ask? Let me tell you!! It was late January, and the spot where I was flying had a sizeable water feature. I was flying the old balsa Lanier F-20 that I had built several months before, and had many flights on. The temperature outside was about 36 degrees, and I was dressed for it. I was doing some aerobatics with the plane, and it wound up in an inverted flat spin, and it would not recover. SPLASH!!! Right in the middle of the pond!! So, determined to retrieve my plane, I took off my coat, and went to dive into the pond to get it. I took three steps on and dove....into 6 inches of water!!!! Turns out, the pond was only a foot deep at its deepest point. So, soaking wet and covered in mud, I walked out and retrieved my plane, that only had a broken fin. You may proceed to laugh until you wet yourselves now, thank you.
          If only we had pictures!

Comment

My worst crash was when I maidened 'My Little Gal I'. She was a FW P51 that I renamed and customized the paint and the decals you may remember her from the video I did on making rivet lines. All was fine and she flew great. brought her around for landing, dropped flaps and gear. Nothing, no control input. She literally went from normal flight to absolute vertical nose down lawn dart mode, right into the center of a gravel pit. I gathered the pieces and took them home, stripped everything out of her that I could and checked through every piece. Turns out that the L/G sequencer was at fault. When I used the servo tester through the sequencer to activate the L/G, it would blue screen the servo tester!
            Not taking any chances and believing that I'd found the answer, I replaced the sequencer and did what any good modeler would do, I made a project out of it! As I stated at the time, it wasn't buying a new plane, it was repairing one I already had, just took a new fuse, wings and tail feathers is all.
            So, 'My Little Gal II' came to being, this time with Flite Metal wrapped around her. Took her to NEFI and Captain Mike was kind enough to maiden her for me as I had just too much time and effort in her. The result was like the phoenix rising from the ashes>

Grossman56

My Little Gal I and II Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6990.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	55533Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7163.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	55534
            Team Gross!

Comment

My worst crash in the last few years was my beloved Freewing 80mm Mirage. My eyes started deteriorating as I entered my late 40s and I fought getting glasses for some time. I had the Mirage in the landing pattern and was turning downwind to base on a day with gusty winds. She was rocking and rolling a little and at only about 75-100 feet of altitude, I blinked when I should not have. I corrected the wrong way with the ailerons and BOOM! The blue camo/gray scheme was a little challenging with my less than great eyes ... Fortunately, as is often the case with foam models, it was not as bad as it looked AND MotionRC always carries spare parts! With a new fuselage and a few other spare parts ordered, I had her back in the air in a few weeks. The one thing that DID stink though was that it trashed the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                My worst crash was when I maidened 'My Little Gal I'. She was a FW P51 that I renamed and customized the paint and the decals you may remember her from the video I did on making rivet lines. All was fine and she flew great. brought her around for landing, dropped flaps and gear. Nothing, no control input. She literally went from normal flight to absolute vertical nose down lawn dart mode, right into the center of a gravel pit. I gathered the pieces and took them home, stripped everything out of her that I could and checked through every piece. Turns out that the L/G sequencer was at fault. When I used the servo tester through the sequencer to activate the L/G, it would blue screen the servo tester!
                Not taking any chances and believing that I'd found the answer, I replaced the sequencer and did what any good modeler would do, I made a project out of it! As I stated at the time, it wasn't buying a new plane, it was repairing one I already had, just took a new fuse, wings and tail feathers is all.
                So, 'My Little Gal II' came to being, this time with Flite Metal wrapped around her. Took her to NEFI and Captain Mike was kind enough to maiden her for me as I had just too much time and effort in her. The result was like the phoenix rising from the ashes>

Grossman56

My Little Gal I and II Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6990.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	55533Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7163.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	55534
                Something really good came out of that. She looks fantastic, wow, I'd like to install that fake metal on one? It almost looks chrome metal on the fuselage & wings. Thank you, for sharing of course. The moral of the story is; you can always make something good from a bad situation. The truth be told. Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Bajora View Post
                  My worst crash in the last few years was my beloved Freewing 80mm Mirage. My eyes started deteriorating as I entered my late 40s and I fought getting glasses for some time. I had the Mirage in the landing pattern and was turning downwind to base on a day with gusty winds. She was rocking and rolling a little and at only about 75-100 feet of altitude, I blinked when I should not have. I corrected the wrong way with the ailerons and BOOM! The blue camo/gray scheme was a little challenging with my less than great eyes ... Fortunately, as is often the case with foam models, it was not as bad as it looked AND MotionRC always carries spare parts! With a new fuselage and a few other spare parts ordered, I had her back in the air in a few weeks. The one thing that DID stink though was that it trashed the battery.

Yes, I had an experience with the Mirage 2000. I had my Ailerons set to 5/8th of an inch throws. I'm sure, just with that being said you know how that was to fly! I took my eye off to put up the landing gear. I guess I moved the stick about an 1/8th inch, because next thing I see is a Drill spinning. That jet rolled so fast, I'm surprised it didn't come apart then. I got really luck, as I was able to push full down stick and, she started going back up. Then, I gathered myself and brought it closer to where I could see it. A gyro the A3-L is the ticket for that jet. Makes it a lot more fun to fly. Thank you, for the story; nice to hear other people's flights. It's something we never talk about.

Comment

Gmans story is just another reaffirmation of the reason I have over the past couple years become a hard core convert from balsa to foam.
                    Bottom line for me - "Foam Bounces Better Than Balsa"
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Amen to that, remember Black Saturday at the field?
                      The upside is that each one of these airplanes is back in the air.
                      Cost? Some glue and filler with some paint work. wallet dent=nothing

Grossman56 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8821.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	55565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8832.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	55566Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8824.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	55567Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8830.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	55568Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8827.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	55569
                      Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                        Gmans story is just another reaffirmation of the reason I have over the past couple years become a hard core convert from balsa to foam.
                        Bottom line for me - "Foam Bounces Better Than Balsa"
                        Ah man, I can tell you how many beautiful models I had. That barely rolled over on take off, that literally disintegrated. Especially the nitro motors I had on war birds. I know, I will always like Balsa & ply, origins are hard to replace. Now, with the invent of EPO. I can have a mistake and, still get away with it. Balsa, 9.5 out of 10 times, your back to the work bench. I remember fixing models out of wood, going to take off; then the tail section would fold up. So many splinters or broken wood glue areas with Balsa & plywood. I love mono-kote though, it's a liter feel when flying. If you know what I mean. I guess for now, both have their place. EPO is the next revelation in my flying repertoire. Matt out!

Comment

Here is my Dallas Doll. An aileron locked up in full throw, I lost control and down she went. I had no idea what had happened until I got to the crash site and discovered the stuck servo

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0767.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	55587

But in no time I had it glued back together and flying again.

Name:	007 (2).JPG
Views:	461
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	55588

Amazing the beating these foam planes can take and still be repairable!
                          Attached Files

Comment

LX MiG-29. I had just finished a cuban 8 and was on a straight line out when my TX did a total lockout and in she went. She hit the side of a gully and pretty much turned into confetti. I miss her and that was the best $80 I had ever spent on an airplane.
                            Maybe Freewing can release a twin-80 MiG-29? That'd be awesome and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch View Post
                              Here is my Dallas Doll. An aileron locked up in full throw, I lost control and down she went. I had no idea what had happened until I got to the crash site and discovered the stuck servo

Name:	100_0767.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	55587

But in no time I had it glued back together and flying again.

Name:	007 (2).JPG
Views:	461
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	55588

Amazing the beating these foam planes can take and still be repairable!
                              Wow, if you sanded and painted this model with a little TLC. It would look brand new again. It's amazing how durable EPO really is, I would have never been able to repair it back like you did. I'm so picky, it would bother me to know it's been broken in half. But, it's really not a big deal, so what it's been broken. Now it's fixed, get over it, I tell myself. Sometimes I'm cool with it, just takes a few days for it to sink in. Especially, losing a new model, ugh I can't stand that. I really try to keep mine looking new. Great Pictures, thanks for sharing. Super Repair too! Matt C/S Rep. This will be a good one to show others!

Comment

Originally posted by Topdogzrc View Post
                                LX MiG-29. I had just finished a cuban 8 and was on a straight line out when my TX did a total lockout and in she went. She hit the side of a gully and pretty much turned into confetti. I miss her and that was the best $80 I had ever spent on an airplane.
                                Maybe Freewing can release a twin-80 MiG-29? That'd be awesome and I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
                                Ah man, Yes, I remember that model well. It's the LX version of the mig 29; nice jet too. I'll do that, a mig 29 is a popular jet, I think we or myself. I forget about a lot of the cool airplanes out there in the world. I remember the EDF was slightly week, but all of them back then were pretty much just flyable. Now days, they'd make one that light, go vertical no problem. Especially if F/W decides to make one, it will be a nice jet with all the details. "Did you read this" Design guys? Hint hint, I'll get it to the right people. Merry Christmas! Cheers. Matt

Comment

I'm hoping Charlie has some before and after pics of the Sea Fury, that was an amazing repair job as well.
                                  My Spitty had the nose ripped right off, but cleanly, the P51 did its usual thing and peeled out the L/G and broke off the prop blades and the Pandoras elevator servo went weird again! That was the last straw, I never crack a Pandora up, well not in a long time. She just went to the end of the runway, finally got off the ground with full back elevator and skipped into the sage brush, peeled her gear and did a number on the leading edge of one wing.
                                  Came home, dropped off the broken ones, loaded up with more planes and headed back to the field. Much better results that time.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

The worse crashes are the ones you don't learn from.
                                    TiredIron Aviation
                                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                      The worse crashes are the ones you don't learn from.
                                      Excellent, well said. I can certainly say; I've learned from every crash. M/Christmas guys! Matt

Comment

My worst crash. A couple years ago I got a Habu32 and put these new "recommended" HV Digital servos all around. They were new to the market. Should have waited awhile for better quality control. Anyway, was doing a diving high speed low pass across the field at 6-8 feet at the most, plane was really moving 100+ and just after it passed the pilot area it snapped hard right roll into the ground. After collecting all the trash and seeing what was salvageable,not much, I was inspecting all the components to try and figure out what happened. The right aileron servo smelled burnt and you could see slight burning where the wire comes out. Taking the servo apart revealed more shorting and burns. Best guess it failed full up. If you have a Habu32 you know that it takes very little control throws all around especially at high speed. I tried to get Horizon to rectify the issue and at least give me a new servo but they just gave me the run around. Been reluctant to deal with them ever since. That crash cost me about $800. Maybe I should have taken it up with Spektrum since it was their servo.
                                        This event sort of scared me. What if I was turning through the flight line and it failed? These things are little fiberglass missiles. Could have really hurt someone if it happened at the wrong time.

Lesson learned: Avoid if possible a line of flight that even points across the flight line. Especially fast fiberglass planes. I know we have insurance but just think how bad you would feel if your model hurt, or even worse mortally wounded someone?

Comment

Working...
                                        X