X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you transport your planes?

Hi all, I am curious how other people transport their planes around. I know some have trailers, some cars and some pickup trucks so it must be different for everyone. The biggest issues I see is keeping them from getting damaged while trying to cram as many as you can in your vehicle... :p For mine I like to take the 1" foam insulation you can get from a home improvement store and use a cool temp glue gun to put pieces together that I cut to fit a specific model. I also use soft foam to help protect the planes. I also try to make them somewhat modular so I can stack or separate to carry one or more models. All I have to transport them in is a little 1992 Toyota X Cable Deluxe but it works. My record is 9 planes with gear and 6 children... :shy: Here are a few pics of what I am talking about.

Steve

That's pretty creative and it looks like it secures the planes pretty well. A few of us were discussing this very subject this moning on the P-38 thread. Here are some of the other's ideas.

Comment

Thanks. They are very secure and as much as possible I like to keep my planes together if I can. I use a couple of flat cardboard boxes up front to keep them from sliding forward. It helps to have the carrier on the back of the truck as well but that is just my situation. There are some good ideas on the other thread I see.

Comment

RCjetdude, That's really great what you come up with for your vehicle to transport your planes. Myself, unless it's an all weekend event, I take 3 planes to the field. In this picture i have the P-38, P-51 and F-86 loaded. Still have room for field box and other "stuff", and don't have to take any wings off.
        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

My 2016 F-150 with a pull out tray on 2" rollers and folding legs. Two 1600mm sized twins fit nicely.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.JPG
Views:	4582
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	55556
          Here's my trailer(for long haul events) set up using 3/4 sched40 pvc and pool swim tubes which are thicker and denser than water pipe insul.

Name:	Rollin hangar.jpg
Views:	4620
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	55554Click image for larger version

Name:	Rollin hangar1.jpg
Views:	5809
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	55555

This is why they call me Warbird ;)
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Love it guys! Lon, is that a minivan or something else? Warbird Charlie, the roll-out tray is a great idea and I love the looks of your trailer. I hope to one day get a trailer. Oh the planes I could then haul... :p I would then have a good reason to get more planes! I really would love to do more traveling to different events in the future.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
              Hi all, I am curious how other people transport their planes around. I know some have trailers, some cars and some pickup trucks so it must be different for everyone. The biggest issues I see is keeping them from getting damaged while trying to cram as many as you can in your vehicle... :p For mine I like to take the 1" foam insulation you can get from a home improvement store and use a cool temp glue gun to put pieces together that I cut to fit a specific model. I also use soft foam to help protect the planes. I also try to make them somewhat modular so I can stack or separate to carry one or more models. All I have to transport them in is a little 1992 Toyota X Cable Deluxe but it works. My record is 9 planes with gear and 6 children... :shy: Here are a few pics of what I am talking about.

Steve
              That's a creative setup. Very nice, look like your system is very well thought out. I used to place mine in the truck, with the wings off. It still wasn't very safe to keep them from getting hangar rash. I really like your system, it's clever. Thanks for sharing your setup! Matt C/S Rep

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                My 2016 F-150 with a pull out tray on 2" rollers and folding legs. Two 1600mm sized twins fit nicely.

Name:	IMG_0516.JPG
Views:	4582
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	55556
                Here's my trailer(for long haul events) set up using 3/4 sched40 pvc and pool swim tubes which are thicker and denser than water pipe insul.

Name:	Rollin hangar.jpg
Views:	4620
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	55554Click image for larger version

Name:	Rollin hangar1.jpg
Views:	5809
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	55555

This is why they call me Warbird ;)
                Now that's a airplane hangar on wheels! Wow, you have a great selection of aircraft there. Very cool to see such a diverse selection to choose from. I'll bet that makes it fun to choose; which one shall I fly today...;) Matt

Comment

Love it guys! Lon, is that a minivan or something else? Warbird Charlie, the roll-out tray is a great idea and I love the looks of your trailer. I hope to one day get a trailer. Oh the planes I could then haul... :p I would then have a good reason to get more planes! I really would love to do more traveling to different events in the future.

Steve
                  Steve, I have a Chevy Traverse. Nice amount of room with all but front seats folded down.
                  Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                  Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

With this...

Name:	My_Truck.jpg
Views:	4220
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	55646

Name:	20160712_233820254_iOS.jpg
Views:	4730
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	55648

Name:	20160712_233326897_iOS.jpg
Views:	4249
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	55650

Name:	20160715_181149150_iOS.jpg
Views:	4286
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	55649

Name:	20160716_152026207_iOS.jpg
Views:	4258
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	55647

TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

That is great Tired Iron! Are those sleeping bags you are using to protect them? Does the side load canopy and trailer help a lot?

Comment

That is great Tired Iron! Are those sleeping bags you are using to protect them? Does the side load canopy and trailer help a lot?
                        Yes on both accounts...this is also our backcountry camping/bugout vehicle :cool:
                        TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Nice pickup & trailer! That's how I want to paint my 86 toyota 4WD, but have met with no little resistance from the little wife. I simply, carefully, place one layer of planes in, a quilt, and another layer of planes. Works great and no transportation rash. Doc

Comment

Do you ever have problems damaging antenna or delicate parts sticking off the planes when you cover them with a quilt?

Comment

Been doing it that way for years. No damage. I just pay attention to details when I load up. Doc

Comment

I stack planes in back of car (SUV). I use wing covers (softhangar.com) to protect from dents and punctures. I can do this with wing spreads up to 76 inches
                                . So far so good.

Comment

My neighbor had a beater 1997 GMC Yukon. I bought it from him so I can carry my planes without taking the wings off. At least it worked up to a Hanger 9 40 size P51 (pictured).

I just bought a 35% Aeromaster Extra 260. Eek! It will fit if I take off the wings and horizontal stab and then I have to rest the tail on the console between the front seats.

I had a friend with a giant scale plane and he used to leave the nose sticking out from the braced-open back doors of his van. Caused quite a stir on the highway.
                                  Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

Goes to show you where there's a will.....
                                    I took the FMS P-40, FreeWing P-51, Pandora, Apprentice, FMS Pitts(which does not break down), two radios, two suitcases, battery box, tool box, cooler, table and wife to Nefi in our Silverado 1/2 ton Crewcab and came home with a new E Flite Spitfire as well, now that was creative!!

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

TiredIron... Did you paint your truck your self? How about some details? The little wife might just have to live with it! Doc

Comment

I thought I would share this rig I made to haul three larger aircraft to the field in the back of my shortbed truck. I don't like taking the wings off all the time. I'm sure this has been done but couldn't find anything like it doing a search. I made this to carry multiple aircraft to the field without having them stick up too high above the bed of the truck. I have a short bed truck with no topper so I came up with this. I also carry several planes in the back seat of the truck. :)
                                        Here are some pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                        X