Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flew my Tigercat today. I should have played the lottery because after a great flight, the port propeller fell off on landing. If it had been in the air, I would have lost the aircraft.

I've now had two of the spinners fail in the same way. The screw holding the prop onto the shaft can push through the thin plastic retainer. The design is defective and I hope it is never repeated on future models. The bolt design on the B24 is much more secure.

Until I can engineer a fix to this, I'm afraid one of my favorite planes is grounded . I'm hoping that a retaining washer epoxied to support the plastic will prevent the screw from pulling through the crappy plastic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
      Flew my Tigercat today. I should have played the lottery because after a great flight, the port propeller fell off on landing. If it had been in the air, I would have lost the aircraft.

I've now had two of the spinners fail in the same way. The screw holding the prop onto the shaft can push through the thin plastic retainer. The design is defective and I hope it is never repeated on future models. The bolt design on the B24 is much more secure.

Until I can engineer a fix to this, I'm afraid one of my favorite planes is grounded . I'm hoping that a retaining washer epoxied to support the plastic will prevent the screw from pulling through the crappy plastic.

Glad she is still in 1 piece. You’ll figure it out - then let us in on the secret.

Comment

• So after going over the fuselage I gave it alittle hot water treatment so the only thing needed now is a new cowling and alittle touch up paint. That makes me very happy

Comment

• Grosman...

The whole crew went out to fly, awesome dynamics.
          The white blue top wing looks the same as the one sold on Ebay.

I dig those transparent monokote finish planes, they look real nice in the sky. At club members have similar to the low wing clear blue plane and they do stand out on clear sunny days. Takes some eye to maintain orientation, as the plane blends on both sides.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
            Hey, Gman, do you know if that A-26 with the RL 11 Tail Number is the Phoenix A-26? How did it fly?
            That, my friend is my FlightLine F7F repainted and done up like La Patrona of Reno Air Racer fame. Upgraded motors and front L/G and she screams with this setup, didn't have to go cheesy and put two bladed props on her either.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9678.JPG Views:	1 Size:	186.6 KB ID:	148735
            Remember My Little Gal II!?:Crying::Crying:

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Day 767:

Click image for larger version

Name:	TMMZ.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	148963

I've probably got 50 flights on this thing since I put it back together after Ryan crashed it and never even had a close call, this was the second time I crashed it last night, I've been pushing the battery back more just to see how much I can get away with and apparently yesterday I pushed it back enough to pull one of the antennas out. The first crash was way out well which I've done many times with this plane but with only one wire on the receiver it limited my range. The first crash was in the woods west of the airfield and it only cracked one wing and scuffed it up. I Foam-Tac-ed the crack and checked it out so back in the air we went. I just didn't see the antenna pulled out. I'm sure if I had checked the receiver better after the first crash it would have been fine. I have another one I'll build tomorrow and be ready for JetFest Saturday.

On the second crash I knew it was pretty far out so I walked through the woods for an hour or so and then gave up, when I left the field to go home I drove around to the other side of the woods and parked in front of the old store building. I got out with my radio and tried listening for the motor but there was no sound except crickets. I was turning around and worked the throttle one more time and saw a flash of light up past the powerline tower, it was the afterburner lighting up.

It was about 100 yards past the mowed field in the brier filled powerline right of way, it was very dark and I had no flashlight. I fell several times fighting my way through the thicket and walked up on something big that snorted at me and ran off (probably a big buck), did I mention it was a steep climb? By the time I got to it I was totally exhausted and was glad it was all downhill to the van, I only fell twice going back that's when I must have dropped the canopy with the 3D printed cockpit I thought screw it I have another one at the hangar.

Post crash analysis revealed that cramming the battery back against the receiver had torn one of the antennas out (I had them taped to the fuselage). So that probably why I lost signal, that and I was so far out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TMMZ2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	148962
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Now, THAT's determination! Went after that bugger like it was your last planeLOL. Way to go TI:Cool:.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                  Now, THAT's determination! Went after that bugger like it was your last planeLOL. Way to go TI:Cool:.
                  I wanted my afterburner and battery back ;)
                  TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• At least you weren't climbing some monster tree like a kid on a sugar high like someone else we know. LOL
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                      At least you weren't climbing some monster tree like a kid on a sugar high like someone else we know. LOL
                      This was much worse...
                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

This was much worse...
                        Your trek may have been tougher TI, but WBC gets a 10 out of 10 for best sound effects when Warty met treeLOL;).

Comment

Your trek may have been tougher TI, but WBC gets a 10 out of 10 for best sound effects when Warty met treeLOL;).
                          At least it met it's expiration date the right way in aerial combat................not by incineration :P
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

At least it met it's expiration date the right way in aerial combat................not by incineration :P
                            Right you are brother. Like the Phoenix, you'll rise from the ashes :Crying::Cool:.

Comment

You got that right...I can still hear it.
                              TiredIron Aviation

Comment

It was epic!
                                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

You got that right...I can still hear it.
                                  Me too....I even hear it in my sleep. Never heard anything else like it.

Comment

• Visit to Roswell - time build flight for new owner insurance

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	track1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	149449
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Aros, A picture's worth a 1000 words. Bravo Zulu. Best LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• AHH!! I see you've mastered the art of paint chips on the leading edge, good for you!! Looks great!!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X