X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
    Not mine, but three shots of the gyrocopter that was at the flying field yesterday.
    That's cool! Always wanted to try one. How did it fly?

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post

That's cool! Always wanted to try one. How did it fly?
      From what I saw, the trick is getting it airborne. Hobby King has brought out the Auto G2, which includes a spin-up motor for the main rotor, to offset the main issue of getting a gyrocopter off the ground. The problem is that when the main rotor is first coming up to speed as the copter moves forward, the side with the blade moving forward develops lift well before the side with the blade going towards the rear, so there is a strong tendency for the gyrocopter to tip to that side. The pilot had several failed take-offs where the copter tipped far to the left. From what I saw watching a video on YouTube a few minutes ago, full-sized gyrocopters seem to have the same issue, though they may have more control options to counter the effect.

Once he had it airborne, it flew pretty well. Here's the link to Hobby King's listing for the Durafly Auto G2:

Comment

• Thanks Hoomi. May have to get one.

Comment

• Braved our 30 degree heatwave today and maidened the Rochobby Waco on skis. Typical Ohio, no wind at the house, drive 2 miles to the park and its gusting at 10. Flew the Eflite Cub and the Waco once each and went home. Worked on my hovering and slip skills, not cause I wanted to...

Comment

• For Thursday, while I didn't do the piloting, I flew in the 1929 Ford Tri-Motor, out of Falcon Field in Mesa.

Totally worth a day of PTO and a drive to the Phoenix Metro.

Comment

For Thursday, while I didn't do the piloting, I flew in the 1929 Ford Tri-Motor, out of Falcon Field in Mesa.

That's Great Hoomi! Could be one of those once in a lifetime things. How did it fly, noisy? Tell us a little more detail buddy!

Woody

Comment

• Very Nice! 360 average flying days per year!
                Had the pilot followed the canal north, you would have found our office at Scottsdale Airport!
                Drop in for a visit next time you head this way and I’ll try a put you in the simulator.

Comment

• Those three big radials were noisy, but not as bad as I expected. I took some video, including full flight videos with both my keychain cameras (plane's vibrations make the video waver a bit, but still viewable), and I hope to have some time to do some video editing this weekend.

The pilot was quite smooth on take-off and landing, which probably isn't surprising considering how much practice he gets (at least 7 of each yesterday afternoon). For an additional $55, I could have ridden in the copilot seat, but I left that for the guy behind me in line, who darn near fell over himself to jump on the offer.

By today's standards, of course, the plane is noisy and slow (IIRC, top speed on a tri-motor was about 100 mph). The cabin is neither pressurized nor climate controlled, though the slow speed and altitude limitations on the old plane allow for large, rectangular windows that are not as practical on modern airliners. Additionally, it almost seems comical by today's standards to think of covering an airplane in corrugated metal, but the plane was fairly strong and capable of handling a reasonable amount of stress. Back in the day, there was a pilot named Harold Johnson, who flew aerobatics in a tri-motor, doing loops, rolls, and spins with it. From what I read, even with a full load, the plane had lower wing-loading than a Cessna 152.

It's wild, too, to look at the plane and see all the control cables running on the outside of the plane. It worked, though. I wonder if anyone in the factory back in the late 1920s ever imagined one of their planes, with a maiden flight in 1929, would be flying passengers 90 years later.

Comment

For Thursday, while I didn't do the piloting, I flew in the 1929 Ford Tri-Motor, out of Falcon Field in Mesa.

I did that today. What a blast! I took lots of pics!
                    Pat

Comment

• Now there's a cool airliner seldom modeled!
                      Talk about a head turner if we ever got our hands on a 2000mm !

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Been loving the bejeezuz out of my FlightLine Corsair! Maidened the other day, put some more flights in yesterday and plan on more today...

My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• My son and I brought out the 3d printed planes and his apprentice, and newly modified sportsman s, the P38, and Tigercat. Was a beautiful day to fly today.

Comment

• From yesterday and today, and one for OV-10.
                            It was an actual turbo prop!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• NIIIICE........actual turbo drive system, very intriguing.:Thinking:
                              Now I'll be surfin the net looking to see how that is done on a model.:Nerd:
                              What size was the Wildcat??:Drooling:
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I was at that event on Saturday. The OV-10 and P-38 were both electric powered. The OV-10 did not get in the air on Saturday (not sure about yesterday) as it seemed he was having issues with the ESCs. The P-38 was running big Hackers I think, and it flew very nice and scale.

There were a couple turbine powered turbo props. Basically, instead of the turbine powering an impeller, it turns the motor shaft. I have also seen some turbine powered helis that do the same thing (turning a rotor shaft instead of an impeller). Very cool stuff!
                                Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                  I was at that event on Saturday. The OV-10 and P-38 were both electric powered. The OV-10 did not get in the air on Saturday (not sure about yesterday) as it seemed he was having issues with the ESCs. The P-38 was running big Hackers I think, and it flew very nice and scale.

There were a couple turbine powered turbo props. Basically, instead of the turbine powering an impeller, it turns the motor shaft. I have also seen some turbine powered helis that do the same thing (turning a rotor shaft instead of an impeller). Very cool stuff!
                                  I stand corrected, I know the Marchetti was definitely turbopropped. Sound was unbelievable!
                                  Sorry I missed ya Pat, but had a felling you might have been there. I was only there Saturday. I did my flying before everyone else!

Comment

• What was the size of the Wildcat and was it a scratch build??
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

I stand corrected, I know the Marchetti was definitely turbopropped. Sound was unbelievable!
                                      Sorry I missed ya Pat, but had a felling you might have been there. I was only there Saturday. I did my flying before everyone else!
                                      I was flying my F-14 and A-10. Wish I had known you were there, would have introduced myself. If by any chance you come to the Electric Fest next weekend, come see me. I'm the Asst CD.
                                      Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                        What was the size of the Wildcat and was it a scratch build??
                                        It looked like a scratch build, but did not get to meet the owner.

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                          I was flying my F-14 and A-10. Wish I had known you were there, would have introduced myself. If by any chance you come to the Electric Fest next weekend, come see me. I'm the Asst CD.
                                          I used up my pass for this event...
                                          I did fly once with my T-6 later in the day. Violated my rule about ‘dragging it in’ on final and promptly tip stalled it on landing - be just my luck you saw that.

Comment

Working...
                                          X