Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It probably could be resurrected but I have fixed too many things to get this one fly. I'm giving up on this one right now and it takes a lot for me to finally throw in the towel. I'm not terribly upset about this B26 trying to take a dirt nap!:Straight-Face:

Comment

• Took the Icon A5 out for a few flights while camping this week on Lake Greenwood! Probably been over a year or two since this thing has been flown. I have clearly gotten way too used to over powered planes since then and this is gonna have to get a 4s upgrade! :Yawn::)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
        It probably could be resurrected but I have fixed too many things to get this one fly. I'm giving up on this one right now and it takes a lot for me to finally throw in the towel. I'm not terribly upset about this B26 trying to take a dirt nap!:Straight-Face:
        10 minute fix ;)
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• If I do fix it it is on the bottom of the list. Other projects in the frying pan

Comment

Took my CZ Cessna, Pandora, Tcat,& B-26 to fly today all flew great except for the B-26. It acted like it was tail heavy but I checked the balance before taking it up. it took a nose dive busting the nose off. I have no plans on rebuilding it. Click image for larger version

Name:	b26crash.jpeg
Views:	839
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	202663
            Sorry about your crash.

I dont own the 26 myself but i understand dynam did a poor job on this kit. I think the main issue that contributed to your crash might be the horizontal stabilizer, it requires some additional positive incidence to fly right...which is BS imho

Comment

• I ordered parts for my B-26. After cooling off about the crash I am going to repair and repaint this bird. I might change out the radio out as well.:Cool:

Comment

• I tried aerotow with the Beaver yesterday. I prepped the tow release mechanism but did did not need it as all went to plan. This thing is a great work horse just like its 1 to 1. :)

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Proof positive that you can, in fact, over power a plane.

The 1/3 scale Fokker D-VIII is no more. The airframe specs called for 45cc to 80cc. I wanted to use as close to scale diameter prop as I could get. A 100cc electric motor would spin a 27" prop and that looked good, so 100cc it was.

After several flights of taking off at half throttle (not bad for a 48lb plane) and cruising at one third throttle, I decided that it was time to explore a broader throttle range. Maintaining straight and level flight, the throttle was inched up. All was going well. The airframe was stable although much faster than scale.

Nearing the final minute of the flight time for the batteries, we'll try full throttle for a moment. Upon nearing full throttle, aparently the horizontal stab became frieghtened and decided it was time to abandon ship, taking all horizonal AND vertical control surfaces with it. Nothing left to do at that point, but pull the throttle back and watch.

As well built as the plane was, the 37" x 30" horizontal tailplane had too much force put upon it, between high P factor and surface area resistance. It did not break, but all mounting points were ripped from the aft fuselage.

This was the first time experiencing a major airframe failure. An expensive, in terms of time and money, lesson learned. Just because you have a lot of power on tap, doesn't mean you have to, or should use it.

It's all good fellow Squawkers. I had to kind of lick my wounds for the past week before I could post about it.

I'm liking the looks of the 92.5" Black Horse Gilmore Red Lion. That might ease the pain and fill the void in the hangar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Last Flight1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.5 KB ID:	203513Click image for larger version  Name:	Last Flight2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.5 KB ID:	203514Click image for larger version  Name:	Last Flight2A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	191.6 KB ID:	203515Click image for larger version  Name:	Last Flight3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.1 KB ID:	203516

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                    Proof positive that you can, in fact, over power a plane. The 1/3 scale Fokker D-VIII is no more. It's all good fellow Squawkers. I had to kind of lick my wounds for the past week before I could post about it. I'm liking the looks of the 92.5" Black Horse Gilmore Red Lion. That might ease the pain and fill the void in the hangar.
                    TWTJ, Very sorry to read of the accident. I like that you're taking it in stride and the Black Horse Gilmore is a beautiful tribute to the Fokker, I think. :) Best, LB
                    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Got the F-15, L-39, and the good old Eurofighter out for a few flights this morning. Didn't fly the F-18, flew it 25 flights already and was tired of it, but I got it all dialed in, flies like a dream now.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                        Proof positive that you can, in fact, over power a plane.

The 1/3 scale Fokker D-VIII is no more. The airframe specs called for 45cc to 80cc. I wanted to use as close to scale diameter prop as I could get. A 100cc electric motor would spin a 27" prop and that looked good, so 100cc it was.

After several flights of taking off at half throttle (not bad for a 48lb plane) and cruising at one third throttle, I decided that it was time to explore a broader throttle range. Maintaining straight and level flight, the throttle was inched up. All was going well. The airframe was stable although much faster than scale.

Nearing the final minute of the flight time for the batteries, we'll try full throttle for a moment. Upon nearing full throttle, aparently the horizontal stab became frieghtened and decided it was time to abandon ship, taking all horizonal AND vertical control surfaces with it. Nothing left to do at that point, but pull the throttle back and watch.

As well built as the plane was, the 37" x 30" horizontal tailplane had too much force put upon it, between high P factor and surface area resistance. It did not break, but all mounting points were ripped from the aft fuselage.

This was the first time experiencing a major airframe failure. An expensive, in terms of time and money, lesson learned. Just because you have a lot of power on tap, doesn't mean you have to, or should use it.

It's all good fellow Squawkers. I had to kind of lick my wounds for the past week before I could post about it.

I'm liking the looks of the 92.5" Black Horse Gilmore Red Lion. That might ease the pain and fill the void in the hangar.
                        I hate that you lost such a beautiful plane but I love how you're taking it and that you are already planning to replace it...great post :Cool:
                        TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	Last Flight1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.5 KB ID:	203513

Tony.........I am so glad that I wasn't there to witness the demise........watching me blubber over your pain wouldn't of been pretty :P
                          Now pick an airframe that can handle that 100cc motor;)
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                            Tony.........I am so glad that I wasn't there to witness the demise........watching me blubber over your pain wouldn't of been pretty :P
                            Now pick an airframe that can handle that 100cc motor;)
                            Could have used your help with raking all of the debris onto the old king size bed sheet to carry her back in LOL. There will be a replacement of some kind,

Thanks TI and LB.

Comment

• Ugh soooo sorry to see that TWTJ! :( Beautiful plane!
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Wow TJ, such a great looking plane and we're all guilty of wanting to see what full throttle looks like so we're just as vulnerable to having the same thing happen.

I got the P-40 and the Pitts out today. Did quite a bit of minor repairs to the P-40 and she was great to fly. Fearing to lose another prop, I filled in the quarter areas ( on the back of the spinner the plastic ribs divide it into four quarters with a circular rib at about half the diameter, you'll know what I mean when you look at it) with Gorilla Glue, let it expand and trimmed it the balanced the prop. I figure that should add some strength at a minimum of additional weight.
                                The Pitts hasn't been up since last season and I figured it was about time. Flew her once and was not pleased with the Prop Torque, so landed it and planned shim the motor to the starboard side to help alleviate some of the problem. Got the prop and cowling off and looked up inside the fuse only to see that there are 4 screws that would seem to bolt the motor mount together, one was ready to fall out! I didn't even know they were there. Needless to say I tightened them up and add a small shim to both the port side screws to angle the motor slightly to starboard. Tried a higher speed taxi in front of the house and it seems to really help. I'll take her out again on Wednesday and see.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8506.JPG Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	203596Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8629.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	203597
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• So sad to hear of that, Tony. The DVIII is such a rarity and quite noble on the flight line.
                                  Makes me reserve temptation to do the same with the Ryan. Have not used full throttle yet, even on take off she only needs a bit of coaxing to lift off at 3/4 throttle and climbs real brisk to safe zone, which 2 mistakes high for me right now.
                                  Will look forward to seeing the replacement(s?)!

Comment

I ordered parts for my B-26. After cooling off about the crash I am going to repair and repaint this bird. I might change out the radio out as well.:Cool:
                                    Well done sir, glad to hear it!

Comment

• Fun Adventures With Wind on a Maiden!

F/A-18C Hornet 90mm Blue Angel...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Some old, some brand new. All flew nicely. All came back in one piece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3411.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	203662

And they all fit in the car, too. Well, the sailplane had to go in the Thule.
                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3412.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	203663

Comment

• xviper I am going to steal that sailplane right under you. Watch your back! ;)
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X