X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
    Man, that runway surface looks smooth as glass from the air, but when you land, you can see how rough it really is. Your fan blades must take a beating from all those little pebbles. I used to fly off a red gravel runway, like the kind you see on baseball diamonds. My fan blades got chewed up after about 2 flights.
    So far, I haven't had any problems. It might help that the Stinger isn't as powerful an EDF as some, and with the landing gear, it does sit up off the ground a bit. We have a few guys out at the club that fly EDFs. I should ask if they've had any problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post
      xviper , you bring a large mix like i do to the field !
      It's a longish drive to both my flying fields, so I try to take at least 4 each time, plus I've got too many planes right now and I feel I need to rotate through them to get my money's worth.

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

Great looking glider!
      Thanks. It's my oldest and most favourite of all my sailplanes.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        It's a longish drive to both my flying fields, so I try to take at least 4 each time, plus I've got too many planes right now and I feel I need to rotate through them to get my money's worth.

Thanks. It's my oldest and most favourite of all my sailplanes.
        Gliders are seriously under-rated, and easily overlooked when it comes to all the zing of scale and 3D stuff. But I did sell one of mine and the new owner loves it - after he flies his P-51 and his T-45 and whatever else he and his son brought that day. We took them up at the same time last weekend early AM before wind, still got near 15 minutes and battery at 70%. Was a blast and we had a pretty good audience checking them out after landing.

Today sucked for flying in Phoenix...but I did get my Mac returned to service so the M-600 Build is ON again.
        Attached Files

Comment

• A10 time today.
          Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
          Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Off work for the holiday and could hear nothing but shotguns going off do to Dove season here in Ca., so I loaded up these two and went after them this morning, was a little worried though, some of those hunters were close to my house...............
            Attached Files

Comment

• LOL Dove hunting!!!! It IS a nation-wide tradition!!! Like AAA over Baghdad, even in California??? LOL Too funny. In Texas, you just carry a Kevlar umbrella Rednecks will be red... And I resemble that!!!

Comment

• Seriously, I love to dove hunt, but just don't get out there like we used to 20 years ago....

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                  LOL Dove hunting!!!! It IS a nation-wide tradition!!! Like AAA over Baghdad, even in California??? LOL Too funny. In Texas, you just carry a Kevlar umbrella Rednecks will be red... And I resemble that!!!
                  Yeah, shocked we can still hunt in Ca. I don't get out there anymore either, my shoulder can't take it anymore..............

Comment

• One of these days, I'll remember the camera!!
                    I took the Spitfire out yesterday as well as My Little Gall II, flew the Spitfire twice and did taxi tests on MLG. Since I last flew her, she received a new motor so now she's running a 650 kv like all the other Mustangs in the fleet.
                    Typical of my Freewing P-51's, the landing gear needs constant attention, so I'm doing adjustments on everything to get a fairly even take off run. The good thing is that with the different prop shaft, the spinner really hugs the nose, the best fit yet. The strange thing is that contrary to what I would expect, she pulls to the right and not the left and the tail wheel, although bigger than the FMS P-51's, is not very effective. Which reminds me, does everyone have some slop in the retracts. Mine will tend to slop towards the retract position. Not sure what caused that, short of the trunnion needing to be adjusted. Tried that but it didn't seem to help.
                    Today, I reluctantly left the Spitfire home and took out the P-40 and Big Beautiful Doll and again did taxi tests with MLG. Getting closer to what I want, but the winds have been coming up at mid day so called it quits. After having lost Shangrila again, she spun in don't know why, but hey, I got a few flights after the first crash so I can't complain, she just wasn't the same. What really made me mad was that I lost the Bearcat through pure and simple pilot error (to put it nicely) flew into the sun and I couldn't see her, I could hear her, and finally caught sight of her heading straight for the ground at about ten feet. No one else at the field so no one was hurt, but man, I was choked to say the least. moral of the story, if performing maneuvers in the early morning, perform them at the opposite end of the field to the sun.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• 6 flights on the FW A-10 and only one on my 3D printed A333. uploading an in-flight video now, but here is a composite picture showing how much the wing flexes from stationary to in-flight

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                        Off work for the holiday and could hear nothing but shotguns going off do to Dove season here in Ca., so I loaded up these two and went after them this morning, was a little worried though, some of those hunters were close to my house...............
                        DCCORSAIR, nice looking birds. I'm just finishing building the 90mm F-16 (assume yours is also the FW 90mm). I installed the upgraded 12 blade 4068-1835kV in-runner and 155 amp ESC. Any advice as to CG (with gear up/down), rates and flap deflection with elevator mix? Any help or things to look out for with your experience would be appreciated. Expect to maiden it some time next week, assuming the winds die down-still getting rain and 30-40mph winds from Dorian, but lucky it missed and feel bad for those in the Bahamas, many of whom had very little to begin with.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

DCCORSAIR, nice looking birds. I'm just finishing building the 90mm F-16 (assume yours is also the FW 90mm). I installed the upgraded 12 blade 4068-1835kV in-runner and 155 amp ESC. Any advice as to CG (with gear up/down), rates and flap deflection with elevator mix? Any help or things to look out for with your experience would be appreciated. Expect to maiden it some time next week, assuming the winds die down-still getting rain and 30-40mph winds from Dorian, but lucky it missed and feel bad for those in the Bahamas, many of whom had very little to begin with.
                          Yes, mine is the FW 90mm, I have the same fan unit in mine as well, I'am using the stock ESC with no issues after many many flights, gear down CG is about the 115-118mm mark, I hate the book CG but others are okay with it, I don't use a flap mix, never really seen the need, I like simple and the F-16 is that, flies awesome, this is my 5th one actually, I tend to wear them out, I don't remember my elevator throw but I know my ailerons are like 30mm up/down, it don't like to turn when you slow down in the stock mode, think that is why some use tailerons, works for me with more aileron travel flying it standard mode. It does not like the drop tanks at all, seems unstable and I have tried moving the CG but it doesn't seem to help, flies great with the ordnance on it though, keep your timer around 2:30 until you figure out how to get more flight time out of it, I don't back off to much, I just can't, it loves to go fast and you can also do slow high alpha passes with it, some guys are to scared to slow it down, it will but feels heavy because with the forward cg you have to hold up elevator, once you get used to how it flies you will love it, landings are tricky, when you turn to final pull throttle back and the nose will pitch up, hold it there with a little elevator and control the rest with throttle, my turn to final is really slow, then I add power as needed to maintain the high AOA, if you do it right then you won't need much of a flare, fly it in on the mains, it does best like a carrier type landing instead of trying to grease it in on the mains smoothly, that takes time.

Comment

• Maidened my Century Bell 47 today after backdating it to D model. Was a bit different to fly a heli with a flybar again, but it handled quite nicely!

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                              Maidened my Century Bell 47 today after backdating it to D model. Was a bit different to fly a heli with a flybar again, but it handled quite nicely!
                              I bet Gary Burgoff new what you flew today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                                LOL Dove hunting!!!! It IS a nation-wide tradition!!! Like AAA over Baghdad, even in California??? LOL Too funny. In Texas, you just carry a Kevlar umbrella Rednecks will be red... And I resemble that!!!
                                Not just a Texas thing either. When I was stationed in New Orleans, there was a command trip to a sports event. I didn't go because I had the duty, but one of the guys I worked with went. After the event (the New Orleans team won), the command van brought them back to the site and as the guy was walking to his car, he felt a sudden pain in his foot. Apparently somebody celebrating shot into the air and the bullet came back down on him and broke his instep.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Yes, mine is the FW 90mm, I have the same fan unit in mine as well, I'am using the stock ESC with no issues after many many flights, gear down CG is about the 115-118mm mark, I hate the book CG but others are okay with it, I don't use a flap mix, never really seen the need, I like simple and the F-16 is that, flies awesome, this is my 5th one actually, I tend to wear them out, I don't remember my elevator throw but I know my ailerons are like 30mm up/down, it don't like to turn when you slow down in the stock mode, think that is why some use tailerons, works for me with more aileron travel flying it standard mode. It does not like the drop tanks at all, seems unstable and I have tried moving the CG but it doesn't seem to help, flies great with the ordnance on it though, keep your timer around 2:30 until you figure out how to get more flight time out of it, I don't back off to much, I just can't, it loves to go fast and you can also do slow high alpha passes with it, some guys are to scared to slow it down, it will but feels heavy because with the forward cg you have to hold up elevator, once you get used to how it flies you will love it, landings are tricky, when you turn to final pull throttle back and the nose will pitch up, hold it there with a little elevator and control the rest with throttle, my turn to final is really slow, then I add power as needed to maintain the high AOA, if you do it right then you won't need much of a flare, fly it in on the mains, it does best like a carrier type landing instead of trying to grease it in on the mains smoothly, that takes time.
                                  Thanks for the input, very much appreciated. I'll give it a go with your recommendations. Every bit of advice helps me immensely!
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skyboom View Post
                                    JamesonC if you had any issues with grass runway with these models? Just exploring some options in the near future. BTW. nice pic.
                                    Nope! These are 2 of my go to jets for grass runways. They both do very well with it. I did upgrade the gear on the hawk since I knew it would be flying off grass!

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

I bet Gary Burgoff new what you flew today.
                                      . No doubt!! Still working on the last few details. Have my 4077th MASH decals on the way from callie, and just finished adding the stretcher canopies.

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

. No doubt!! Still working on the last few details. Have my 4077th MASH decals on the way from callie, and just finished adding the stretcher canopies.
                                        Yeah, the Gary comment made my LOL, literally!!! What model and mfg is that? Can you still buy them, because I want one!!!! LOL Jerry

Comment

• The prototype visited Oshkosh.

Comment

Working...
                                          X