Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today was RC Club Meeting day at the field. I left work a bit early, to get some flying in before the meeting. For the first time in a year and a half, I didn't bring a warbird to the field with me (what's up with that???). I flew an EFlight NVA, Multiplex Pilatus Porter, and a Tower Hobbies No Gravity. I flew probably 8 times before the club meeting.

After the meeting, light was fading quickly. I grabbed the Porter, but it wouldn't recognize my DX9. So, I rebound the RX ( OrangeRX), removed the bind plug, buttoned up, grabbed the plane and headed to the FlightLine. I set the Porter down, announced my intention to take off, goosed it, and it hopped into the sir. As the gear left the ground, the plane rolled slightly left. I applied opposite aileron, and the Porter rolled faster to the left, and slammed into the ground.

Before the flight, I had caught a case of goitis and had failed to check my aerosurfaces. The ailerons had reversed somehow when the RX/TX had become unbound, but I didn't catch it, because I stupidly didn't check. Bad Oxotnik. Bad, bad Oxotnik!!
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
      I rebound the RX ( OrangeRX)
      Enough said ;)

TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
        I took the opportunity today to finally take Twowingtj's invite to his clubs field who is our neighbor about 25 miles away.
        Maiden'd the F7F-2D today and the P-40B with it's upgraded power plant. Thanx TJ for having me over to your club. Can't wait until the Warty's arrive and we start workin on the airshow "paired" routine for the Festival of Giants.
        Had a great day at the Aeros' field with OV10 and his nicely modded birds. The guys and gal enjoyed both your company and your flights. You are welcome back anytime. That's what it's all about.

I re-maidened my wife's CZ Cub after the new paint scheme (required after a mishap with terra firma) and had fun blasting around with the FW Stinger 64 HP.

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Enough said ;)
          LOL I'd bought this plane (including ORX receiver) at an Estate Sale for pennies on the dollar. Last night, just as I was drifting off to sleep, it occurred to me what the root cause of this crash was. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't flight-check my control surfaces before flying (which would have (or at least, should have) triggered in my mind that something was really wrong), but I'm extra ashamed to admit that I'd selected the wrong model in my DX9. Two terrible mistakes... and none of them can be blamed on the ORX!!! :Angry:

I'd gotten in such a dang rush to get this airplane in the air before it became too dark to fly, that all of my cautious preflight rituals went right out the window. Foolish, foolish mistakes. Luckily, the Porter was well away from people and property when my foolish mistakes bit me. Only a $36 mistake, monetarily, but it bought me a huge slice of humble pie...:Confused:
          ---
          Warbirder

Comment

LOL I'd bought this plane (including ORX receiver) at an Estate Sale for pennies on the dollar. Last night, just as I was drifting off to sleep, it occurred to me what the root cause of this crash was. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't flight-check my control surfaces before flying (which would have (or at least, should have) triggered in my mind that something was really wrong), but I'm extra ashamed to admit that I'd selected the wrong model in my DX9. Two terrible mistakes... and none of them can be blamed on the ORX!!! :Angry:

I'd gotten in such a dang rush to get this airplane in the air before it became too dark to fly, that all of my cautious preflight rituals went right out the window. Foolish, foolish mistakes. Luckily, the Porter was well away from people and property when my foolish mistakes bit me. Only a $36 mistake, monetarily, but it bought me a huge slice of humble pie...:Confused:
            I think we all have done that, I know I have :Whew:
            TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• On a brighter note, my daughter sent me a photo that she'd taken this past weekend of me prepping my F-86 with several club members huddled around my work table. Especially over on RCG, there is a lot of bashing talk about the evils of club membership and/or self-righteous members who can take the joy out of the hobby. For me, this photo expresses why I love club membership and the club environment. Here are a bunch of guys, standing around chatting and joking, and offering advice/suggestions as needed. This is why I love my club and the club environment!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5275.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	75293
              ---
              Warbirder

Comment

• Cool, I like the walker plane stand :)
                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Cool, I like the walker plane stand :)
                  A Boy Scout is thrifty and resourceful... :)
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

• A few flights this morning with my F-86.

Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• I flew my whole fleet minus 2. (HSD Tornado 75 needs a fuselage & Parkzone Sukhoi is being sold).. Had a great time before it got WAAY TOO WINDY. My Freewing Rebel needed a makeover, having been crashed & fixed several times, so I ordered new decals & a nose cone & she looks almost new!

Comment

Even though our field is still boggy I took the opportunity today to finally take Twowingtj's invite to his clubs field who is our neighbor about 25 miles away.
                        Maiden'd the F7F-2D today and the P-40B with it's upgraded power plant.
                        The Tiger looks great with the LX props and performs satisfactorily but I was wishing for a little more oomph. Maybe I shouldn't have flown that Warhawk before hand which is now sportin the power plant that I took out of the 1500 Razorback.
                        OOOHHHHHH MAMA........what a freakin barnstormer ;) The Warhawk now has unlimited vertical and the full bore low level flyby was faster than my A-6. My little shuffle of muscle from the P-47 to the P-40B was an excellent mod :)
                        Four out of 7 maidens done successfully so far with 3 remaining. Thanx TJ for having me over to your club. Can't wait until the Warty's arrive and we start workin on the airshow "paired" routine for the Festival of Giants.
                        I am waiting for the video of the Tigercat from Gary "Gopro" of the Bing Aeros and as soon as I get it will post on the F7F thread.
                        The first Drone Controller Tigercat mod flies. :Whew:
                        Congrats CB, can't wait to see both these birds as I will be bringing the F7F and P-40 as well, have to eyeball what you've done to the P-40. You'll love the Bearcat with the mods you suggested just as I'm sure I'll be drooling over the Flying Tiger mods.
                        So many mods, so little cash..........

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

On a brighter note, my daughter sent me a photo that she'd taken this past weekend of me prepping my F-86 with several club members huddled around my work table. Especially over on RCG, there is a lot of bashing talk about the evils of club membership and/or self-righteous members who can take the joy out of the hobby. For me, this photo expresses why I love club membership and the club environment. Here are a bunch of guys, standing around chatting and joking, and offering advice/suggestions as needed. This is why I love my club and the club environment!!

Name:	IMG_5275.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	75293
                          I hear you, just got back from our field clean up day. Wind was up but that didn't stop a couple of guys from flipping around in the air. Great bunch and no one acts like they're the god of RC, everyone was telling, in between laughs, of their calamities in the air. Makes for great camaraderie!!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                            So many mods, so little cash..........Grossman56
                            Get some gigs under your belt as I do to supplement the addiction or just change your name to Roxanne and put on the red light :Silly: LOL
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Day 295:
                              Got the big FMS Mustang out today and was enjoying a nice flight and in a loop I loss power and the motor started making that crazy wonking sound, I had to do a quick wheels up ditch in the high grass and broke a prop blade. After I got her apart I found that the ESC had come loose and must have slid back in that loop and unplugged one of the motor wires (they weren't taped).

Name:	20170513_183724741_iOS.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	75492
                              TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Everytime someone posts a mistkae in here, I think well, I've done that. My old nickname on all the sites was Semper Fragosus -latin for always crashing. Changed it this year to Non Fragosus - "don't crash."

At least you guys have been getting to fly, I've been working non-stop including today and tomorrow. Comee back from a business trip on Wednesday and hope to fly then.

Jack
                                Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

Day 295:
                                  Got the big FMS Mustang out today and was enjoying a nice flight and in a loop I loss power and the motor started making that crazy wonking sound, I had to do a quick wheels up ditch in the high grass and broke a prop blade. After I got her apart I found that the ESC had come loose and must have slid back in that loop and unplugged one of the motor wires (they weren't taped).

Name:	20170513_183724741_iOS.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	75492
                                  That's a great lookin bird. Glad it wasn't worse.

Comment

Get some gigs under your belt as I do to supplement the addiction or just change your name to Roxanne and put on the red light :Silly: LOL
                                    No one has enough money in their psychiatric to recover from :
                                    a) being tortured with my whiny singing voice
                                    B)Seeing me 'turn on the Red Light"
                                    :Vomit::Drooling::Silly::wacky:saywha
                                    If yu know what I mean
                                    LOL

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by CZ Flyer View Post

That's a great lookin bird. Glad it wasn't worse.
                                      I bought it crashed and fixed it, should have checked the motor connections...
                                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

On a brighter note, my daughter sent me a photo that she'd taken this past weekend of me prepping my F-86 with several club members huddled around my work table. Especially over on RCG, there is a lot of bashing talk about the evils of club membership and/or self-righteous members who can take the joy out of the hobby. For me, this photo expresses why I love club membership and the club environment. Here are a bunch of guys, standing around chatting and joking, and offering advice/suggestions as needed. This is why I love my club and the club environment!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5275.JPG Views:	1 Size:	135.8 KB ID:	75293
                                        I agree, I really enjoy being part of a club. (Though no matter where you fly, there's always a chance there's a few bad apples in the group). Fairly lucky with ours, that there's only a couple blokes out of 229 members that seem to be suffering from GOMS. (Grumpy old man syndrome). My club is also the largest in my state, as it's the states model aircraft sports centre, and there's some amazing models each week to see. I'm the public relations and media manager, and we hold an annual expo and show for the public where we invite all the other clubs in our state, hobby stores etc to set up a display stand and fly with us. We also get tv, radio coverage of the event which is pretty cool. Pic is the cover page I just finished designing for the club invites - took forever to colour out the backgrounds of the model pics lol. (Sorry bad quality pic but it's a word doc on my laptop and I just took a pic with my iPad). ;) Ps. Motion, I'd be happy to put up a motion banner at the event, as I think you are one of the best dealers out there. pm me if you're interested.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1128.JPG Views:	1 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	75517

Comment

• Nice work Shirty :Cool:. This place is full of talented people. Looks like an amazing field as well. All this talk about A-10s and sport jets, just had to get to the field and fly the FW 1130mm Hog and the Stinger 90 today for a bit. Three flights a piece and out in an hour and fifteen.The warden didn't even know I was gone.:Don't-tell-Anyone: And the Avanti S can out perform the Stinger 90... I may even start smiling picking up the dog :Poo: this summer.

Comment

Working...
                                          X