Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, I'm getting 4 minutes with 25% left. You do know that the left stick moves both up and down? LOL
    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
      Day 474: Flew the Porter...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171108_214043387_iOS.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	103248
      Living the “Dream” my friend! Would give anything to be able to walk outside my hangar and start flying. Keep it going!

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
        Wow, I'm getting 4 minutes with 25% left. You do know that the left stick moves both up and down? LOL
        What packs are you running?

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
          What packs are you running?
          I'm using RoaringTop 5800 35Cs and XPS 5200 45Cs. Both of these are great for the F-14 as they are longer and skinnier than most 5000 packs, weigh less than most 5000s, and fit perfectly in the F-14 without any modifications to the battery bay.
          Pat

Comment

• Hi need advice on free wing mig 21 when carrying out centre of gravity test do you have the plane upside down or right way up thanks Paul

Comment

Wow, I'm getting 4 minutes with 25% left. You do know that the left stick moves both up and down? LOL
              But... EDFs are just so much more fun at WOT. :p
              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• This is true. And what I find interesting, in all my other single 80mm EDFs, I only get 3 minutes, but with my twins (F-14 and A-10) I get 4 minutes. And I'm just as heavy on the throttle with the twins as I am on the singles.
                Pat

Comment

• According to CB OV10 twins are 2X the fun...

Comment

I'm using RoaringTop 5800 35Cs and XPS 5200 45Cs. Both of these are great for the F-14 as they are longer and skinnier than most 5000 packs, weigh less than most 5000s, and fit perfectly in the F-14 without any modifications to the battery bay.
                    I'm using Admiral 4000s, so that explains a lot. I think I'll have to order some of those for my Tomcat and A-10.

Comment

• Day 486: Flew the following...we had a great time today, some of the TIA guys came over and we worked on the FPV course and flew until dark:30 :) Video to come.

Dynam Hawk Sky (FPV)
                      E-Flite Corsair
                      E-Flite Super Cub
                      FMS Zero
                      Ranger EX (FPV)
                      Carbon Z T-28
                      Carbon Z L-4
                      Tokyo X (Quad)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171120_205903195_iOS.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	104534
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Hey Gibbo. I do not own the Mig21 but since you havnt received any advice on the cg looking at the wing configuration i would balance it upside down. The best thing to do though would be to pm xplaneguy or rcjetdude or deltadart or crcmanpat or TI. All of these gentlemen are quite the experts as well as alot l have failed to mention not because they are not experts in edfs but the list is way to long. One will definatly get you on the right path.
                        Dewey l

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey H Lee View Post
                          Hey Gibbo. I do not own the Mig21 but since you havnt received any advice on the cg looking at the wing configuration i would balance it upside down. The best thing to do though would be to pm xplaneguy or rcjetdude or deltadart or crcmanpat or TI. All of these gentlemen are quite the experts as well as alot l have failed to mention not because they are not experts in edfs but the list is way to long. One will definatly get you on the right path.
                          He got it on another thread ;)
                          TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Thats good TI. Thanks.:)
                            Dewey l

Comment

• Originally posted by GIBBO View Post
                              Hi need advice on free wing mig 21 when carrying out centre of gravity test do you have the plane upside down or right way up thanks Paul
                              The only reason you would balance right side up verus upside down is to prevent the model from falling off whatever your are using to balance it.
                              Generally low wings stay on the balancer (or your finger tips if you are like me) better upside down. Likewise, high wings do better right side up.
                              The finger tip method works. My jets generally come off the boards needing ZERO trim.

But as far as Cg is concerned, the Cg doesn't care either way. Find a way to balance the bird that you can do and get repeatable results. I like the finger tip method.

crxman the twins are more efficient.
                              Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Some video from yesterday...
                                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

It's a good solid flyer. Steady and easy with wings out, and a bullet with the wings swept. The only downside is the flight time. I get about 2.5-3 minutes maximum right now, landing at 15%.
                                  Thats what many dont post about their awesome airplanes. I just could not deal w such little time to fly, not so cool after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by crankestein View Post

Thats what many dont post about their awesome airplanes. I just could not deal w such little time to fly, not so cool after all.
                                    That appears to be on Admiral 4000's. Did you read the later posts as well? Not so bad after all..... I get bored flying something too long. 4 minutes of adrenaline pumping awesome EDF flying and I am ready for a little break. Notice I said little.... ;)

Comment

• Had a great day at the field today, no wind to speak of and 4 hours of fun flying. Brought out the whole lineup, and got 2 flights on each bird and back in time for Turkey!

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post

The only reason you would balance right side up verus upside down is to prevent the model from falling off whatever your are using to balance it.
                                        Generally low wings stay on the balancer (or your finger tips if you are like me) better upside down. Likewise, high wings do better right side up.
                                        The finger tip method works. My jets generally come off the boards needing ZERO trim.

But as far as Cg is concerned, the Cg doesn't care either way. Find a way to balance the bird that you can do and get repeatable results. I like the finger tip method.

crxman the twins are more efficient.
                                        I think there is more to it. The center of gravity has both a horizontal and vertical component. The horizontal component is the balance fore and aft (as well as port and starboard). The reason that high wing aircraft are more stable in the air is that most of the weight (CoG) is below the wings. The opposite is true on a low wing where most of the weight is above the wings. That is why low wings are harder to balance right side up. It's like trying to balance an umbrella on the tip of your finger. It can be done but it's a trick o do it. A lot easier to hold it from above and let it swing until it becomes stable. At least that is how it was explained to me and it makes sense.
                                        Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

• Originally posted by crankestein View Post

Extreme power means high demand from the batteries. 3 min is common for EDF models at full throttle.
                                          EDF requires 1.5X the watts per lb of aircraft for the same flight performance as the conventional 2 blade prop in the nose (all else being equal... and its not)
                                          The EDF unit itself is a heavier way to mount the motor than the common firewall mounting of a brushless outrunner.

So you are starting with a model that has a weight penalty and a higher power demand. Then we demand that the EDF models fly faster than the conventional prop models, being less than happy with any EDF model that can't exceed 100 mph.
                                          Then lets add that heavy swing wing system to the F-14.

You have the choice at this point of adding a LOT of battery weight to get duration (thus losing maneuverability and increasing minimum speed to maintain controlled flight) or accepting reduced flight time.
                                          Even accepting the appx 3 min average flight time, the Freewing F-14 is a heavy aircraft, requiring a long runway.

The actual mini-turbine powered models suffer similarly from the weight and power requirements to get the performance desired. Those tiny turbines can burn a gallon of kerosene in under 12 minutes (some burn a lot more). Most can't carry more than 4 minutes of full throttle fuel.
                                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
                                          X