Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not the most boast-worthy day. One good flight with the Sensei, followed by a nice, lazy soar with the Calypso. The Waco banked hard left right after take-off, and if I'd been a bit more experienced, I might have pulled it out. Broke the prop and a couple of the upper wing supports, along with knocking one lower aileron loose. Took off for a second flight with the Sensei, and shortly after take-off, I couldn't get power to climb, despite having checked and made sure I was using a charged battery before take-off. Tried to glide back to the runway, but didn't have enough altitude and wound up in a mesquite tree. Other than a few little pokes in the foam, no damage. Turns out one wire to the motor had broken at the joiner pin for the ESC. Fortunately, soldering wires has been a regular part of my career for the last 40 years.

I guess it evens out. Despite the mishaps, I did get to fly.

Comment

• That is indeed a rough day.:(

Comment

• :(

Comment

• All I need to do to finish repairing the Sensei is glue the cowling back in place.

I think what happened with the Waco is that the wind out there this morning was being weird. It would come up, die down, and then come up again from a different direction. I think it came up from across the runway just as I lifted off, and pushed the right wing up. If I'd been quicker on the stick, I might have leveled it back out, but I had dang little altitude or time to react.

That's life. It just means I get to repair the plane again.

Comment

• Yes, and yes it really is a pain when the wind is bipolar like that. The evil bastard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
              All I need to do to finish repairing the Sensei is glue the cowling back in place.

I think what happened with the Waco is that the wind out there this morning was being weird. It would come up, die down, and then come up again from a different direction. I think it came up from across the runway just as I lifted off, and pushed the right wing up. If I'd been quicker on the stick, I might have leveled it back out, but I had dang little altitude or time to react.

That's life. It just means I get to repair the plane again.
              While I didn’T break anything, it was tricky winds all morning. Never really favoring either runway direction and rather light really, it surprised all of us at some point this morning. What really surprises me is how many don’t check the wind before setting up an approach, try to land with the TW and can’t fly a pattern in either direction...
              NASCAR pilots:Thinking:.
              Sorry bout the Waco, but know you’ll have it back up in no time.

Comment

• I know what you mean, I was flying with a guy today who kept my f18 down below 40 ft because he couldn't fly the pattern always against the actual flow of traffic. I always tried to fly when he wasnt out there but it was like he was waiting for me to go out and suddenly here he come... it's the only time I worry about my plane and also my personal safety when flying. Since he routinely flys behind the flight line.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                  I know what you mean, I was flying with a guy today who kept my f18 down below 40 ft because he couldn't fly the pattern always against the actual flow of traffic. I always tried to fly when he wasnt out there but it was like he was waiting for me to go out and suddenly here he come... it's the only time I worry about my plane and also my personal safety when flying. Since he routinely flys behind the flight line.
                  Ohlawdy...don’t get me started. Had 2 clowns flying their Ugly sticks always at the same time and chasing each other through the sky. Then one clown who I knew has no attention span more than a light pole, I turned in his direction as I knew he was getting ready to take of and I was already on base and less than a minute on the clock - he’s at the station next to me and I turn to him with one eye on my plane and yell “landing!”

wait for it...

yup, I’m on short final and he says, “Taking off” ...and just taxis out without even a look.
                  :Loser: and he’s one of the “Instructors”
                  I did not go around, but announced firmly that landing traffic always has the right of way...as I taxi off and decidedly short of the next station.

crickets...:Poo: he did get out of the way, but I know he doesn’t pay attention to anyone else in the air.

rant over

Comment

• Yikes! And an instructor on top of it. Sounds like he needs a little wall to wall counciling

Comment

• Day 759: Flew the Mig-21

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mig_Maiden.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	147838
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                        Day 759: Flew the Mig-21

Name:	Mig_Maiden.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	147838
                        Fly a commie for Mommy!

Comment

• May get to dodge a few showers, but I have the day off and not going to miss a chance to fly. Should be nice and cool though! 2 Cubs, a glider and the T-6 should do it?

Comment

• Thats the good thing about our field in the summer, surrounded by corn and soy fields. It becomes an art to land above the corn stacks barely brushing the top leaves, or stall on top of them worst case scenario.

Sometimes get minimal damage, but is much better than landing on a tree. Its more difficult when the corn is cut and all one see is pogo sticks for miles.

Comment

• Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
                              May get to dodge a few showers, but I have the day off and not going to miss a chance to fly. Should be nice and cool though! 2 Cubs, a glider and the T-6 should do it?
                              Got them all in the Civic AND the MEN Trainer...
                              it was the only one that got to fly. T-storms preceded my arrival and I figured they would just blow through and done...
                              got one flight and the wind picked up early.
                              Oh well - got more done on the Ryan!

Comment

• So my Trainer is the red one - and look what showed up on an FB RC Group! New owner didn’t know what it was. Prints have option for either single or twin...
                                never thought of both!

Comment

• Very cool

Comment

• My Birthday today, turned the big 65, so I took the day off, called up my buddy Ron and headed for the field with some not often flown airplanes and some problem children as well as my oldest flying plane, Pandora One. The Avanti sustained some minor damage when she refusd to leave the ground and had an argument with a tumbleweed. The Spitfire flew great until I tried to pull a crosswind landing and the danged thing ran right into, me!!!!
                                    No injury sustained but the wing is screwed up.
                                    That was the bad news, the great news was that I finally nailed the CG in the Pitts and she put in three great flights and, more importantly, three great landings!!
                                    Great way to roll into another year and visit new/old planes. P-1 of course, flew flawlessly as always and I have to say I've really enjoyed revisiting her. That plane always has something to teach me and I just love her.

Name:	IMG_3936.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	148067Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3937.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	148068Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3938.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	148069

BTW, first day in about a week that the temp has been above 70 and the sun has peeked out, we've been having a lot of smoke due to local fires as well as the annual California and Montana donations. We are surrounded by mountains and you couldn't see them until you were almost on top of them

42 yesterday morning and 55 for a high, hey this is August!!!!

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Happy birthday Gman!:Cool:

Comment

• Happy Old Fart Flying Toy Planes Day Dan :Party:
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                          My Birthday today, turned the big 65, so I took the day off, Grossman56
                                          Yo GM56, Happy 65th Birthday! :Party: Just got there myself last month. I have always taken off for the birthday celebration, so glad you treated yourself. Best to you and yours, LB
                                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X