Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold clear morning here in Wy, as I try to type with cold fingers!
    Beautiful day a bit breezy, so headed to the field with my old time fav' the one that first got me drooling over this hobby, Big Beautiful Doll. Man she's been a faithful old gal too.
    We were cross winding today and the air was pretty blustery over the field, nevertheless, she handled it great with a bit of assistance from the A3L, although I have it rolled way down. One of the few planes that has an 8 channel receiver so I can roll in how much gain the A3L has with the knob on the radio.
    I wanted to burn through 4 or 5 batteries just practicing t/o's and landings, but my hands were just about frozen!
    Going to see what the afternoon brings and maybe head back there.
    I've noticed that, even though I'm correcting for prop torque, I still end up leaving the ground heading towards the left of center of the runway with a dip of the left wing sometimes, so I want to clean up my control inputs to solve this.
    See what happens, hopefully it will improve over the course of the day

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Awesome day, here in North Alabama. Winds were 3-4 mph and the temps were mild. I flew my Freewing F-86 twice, Freewing Mosquito thrice, FlightLine P-38 thrice, UMX A-10 twice, and Durafly Das Ugly Stick thrice. Had a lot of fun. Here's a video of me pitting my P-38 against an A6M Zero. https://youtu.be/Qehw5PhwVqI
      That was a lot of fun.

And my Freewing F-86... https://youtu.be/YGqULiK_3Zo
      The combination of grass and low wind was making it difficult to get off the ground. First flight, I didn't use flaps and almost didn't get airborne. This flight I used half flaps and had a reasonable take-off roll. As I was flying, it still seemed like forever before the F-86 rotated, but after watching the video, the take off roll seemed pretty nominal.
      ---
      Warbirder

Comment

• Ox - am envious - winds here are 25 gusting to 40, has been minimum 15 winds for a week and supposed to be very windy for the next week. Maybe I should move to Huntsville.
        Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

• Day 300: Flying at Joe Nall

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8164.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	76319
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by jackcutrone View Post
            Ox - am envious - winds here are 25 gusting to 40, has been minimum 15 winds for a week and supposed to be very windy for the next week. Maybe I should move to Huntsville.
            Everything is better in the South. Just ask a Southerner... LOL
            ---
            Warbirder

Comment

• He TI i found your truck at Joe Nall today but not you. There was however a gentelman standing xlose by that i spoke to briefly that said the last he had seen you you was heading up towards the hanger. Sorry i missed you and Micheal and the rest.
              Dewey l

Comment

• Day: 301 Having a ball at Joe Nall

Name:	IMG_8173.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	76475
                TiredIron Aviation
                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Man I wish I was still there instead of having to be at work.

Comment

• Go TI, the home stretch now!

Looks like an awesome time there.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Woke up this morning and lo and behold, no wind and the skies are fairly clear !!
                      Waited for the frost (yes Frost!!) to melt and the temp to get up a bit and was off to the field by 0800.
                      Beautiful morning and the sun was warm! Wind was minimal which is noteworthy here in Wy.
                      I had decided beforehand that it was going to be a BBD day, so I had 6 batteries all charged up and raring to go.
                      The goal was to correct some pull I was having while taking off, I was sure it was just that I was reacting to the plane rather than being proactive, in other words, I knew what she was going to do, instead of correcting before hand, I waited for her to do it then corrected.
                      Took the proactive approach and it worked great. I'm really striving for that scale look T/O's and landings and am getting very close. Burned most of the batteries up doing that , then ran some aerobatics and found I was having a bit of trouble in my loops. It was, as I suspected, that my old guy fingers were adding some aileron when I pulled the stick back. To prove it to myself, I pulled the stick back as accurately as possible and she looped fine.
                      I recalled readjusting my Expo last year as I was getting better at my inputs. Well, they were down to 15%, which was too low so I moved them back up to 30% and will play around with them a bit more if needed. All my other planes are between 28 and 30%, I must've had one of those, "I don't need no stinkin' expo" moments last year. Hey 63, what can I say??
                      On landing after the fifth flight, I noticed something weird in the back end, sure enough, the tail wheel hub had let go, so that was it for the day. I had a replacement at home so no biggie.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• That sounds great. Glad you got some stick time in and hard to believe you are still dealing with frost!?!

Comment

• I wish I could be at Nall! Looks like it's going great!

Flew my E-flite Ascent 450 earlier today.

My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                            That sounds great. Glad you got some stick time in and hard to believe you are still dealing with frost!?!
                            Yep, that's what happens when you're 5000 feet up. It blew my mind the first time it was 70 degrees one day and snowed a couple of feet the next !!

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Thought I'd share... was lucky enough to have Aussie champ Chris Brislin give us a little 3D clinic at my club a couple of months ago. (Chris also did USA tour for a few years around 2098-2013, a few top 5's and a 2nd at the world scale aerobatic champs in Tucson, Arizona). Top bloke, was great to get some tips on my 3D from a pro, and awesome to watch him fly. Not bad considering a bit of wind and a borrowed airframe from a clubmate on the day.
                              :)

Comment

• Nice Shirty! Ah, the rolling harrier...The one thing I can't get down no matter how hard I try dagnabbit! :)
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Just goofing around with the Dynam Meteor .

Bryan
                                  But Crashing is Landing

Comment

• Flew and crashed my E-flite Ascent 450. :(

Don't know what happened. Was soaring along fine then suddenly made a loud BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!! sound like the canon from an A-10 and nose dived. Had no elevator response. I think the horn came out of the elevator and the sound was the elevator flapping....Boo!!

Name:	dammit.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	569.0 KB
ID:	76950

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5307.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	76961 I'm visiting my parents this weekend, on the way to visit my wife's family tomorrow. I made contact with the SHeveport Area Remote Kontrol Society (SHARKS) and they invited me to come fly with them. We had to wait out the rain, but was finally able to get some planes in the air. I flew my Freewing F-86, Freewing FW-190 (twice) , and FlightLine P-38. Had a great time and made some new friends.

Name:	IMG_5306.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	76960
                                      ---
                                      Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                        Nice Shirty! Ah, the rolling harrier...The one thing I can't get down no matter how hard I try dagnabbit! :)
                                        Lol, took me ages to get my rolling harriers down. Just keep practicing mate, it'll click one day and you'll wonder why it gave you so much trouble. :-)

Comment

• See! That's what I think too, but it still alludes me!! CURSES RED BARON!! LOL
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X