X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 367:

Got my old tired 1700mm Mustang out today and put a new Admiral 6S 5000 in it for a nice afternoon flight...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170724_224817315_iOS.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	89045

I noticed the new battery really spruced it up so I was wringing it out and gunning through a half cuban and BAMM! the whole front of the plane exploded (motor mount let go), there were yellow chunks all over the sky...it was spectacular!
    When the motor exited it twisted up the ESC wires and pull the throttle wire out of the receiver so I could only stand there in awe as all the parts and fuselage rained down. I took the Mule down and picked up the parts but never did find the Talon motor and prop, it's not a huge loss as I got it from a guy that had crashed it and gave up on it...I pieced it back together and got many flights out of her.

Name:	20170724_233354594_iOS.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	89044
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
      Day 367:

Got my old tired 1700mm Mustang out today and put a new Admiral 6S 5000 in it for a nice afternoon flight...

Name:	20170724_224817315_iOS.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	89045

I noticed the new battery really spruced it up so I was wringing it out and gunning through a half cuban and BAMM! the whole front of the plane exploded (motor mount let go), there were yellow chunks all over the sky...it was spectacular!
      When the motor exited it twisted up the ESC wires and pull the throttle wire out of the receiver so I could only stand there in awe as all the parts and fuselage rained down. I took the Mule down and picked up the parts but never did find the Talon motor and prop, it's not a huge loss as I got it from a guy that had crashed it and gave up on it...I pieced it back together and got many flights out of her.

Name:	20170724_233354594_iOS.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	89044
      Sorry to hear that George. Are you going to fix it again?

Comment

• Aww man, hope you get it back together soon! That failure mode sounds eerily familar though, my FMS 1.5m P-47 went out in a similar fashion. I guess the FMS firewalls really aren't great at surviving on upgraded power plants. I'm sure it will be stronger than ever by the time she is rebuilt though!

Comment

• I know where another used one is I may get...this one is pretty ragged out.
          TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Aaaaack! Sorry to see that!
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Sorry to see that TI. Im sure with your mad skills and shop you could probably fix that one.
              Dewey l

Comment

• Ouch! That sucks! But I totally love your attitude in the face of disaster! LOL
                Looks like you were using the stock 4 bladed prop/spinner with a motor upgrade? I believe those assemblies are the weak link. I've seen failures of them in person and on YouTube. I wish FMS or MAS would answer the call and design a more reliable set up, as you don't see this happen with the one piece propellor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
                  I wish FMS or MAS would answer the call and design a more reliable set up, as you don't see this happen with the one piece propellor.
                  I'm with you on that, I hate multi-piece props, however the new Freewing Spitfire has a new design that looks like it with hold up well.

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

I'm with you on that, I hate multi-piece props, however the new Freewing Spitfire has a new design that looks like it with hold up well.
                    TI did you mean new FliteLine Spit? I went to look for a picture but they aren't on MRC website yet. :( Maybe I'll check the instruction manual to see the diagram.
                    i was able to watch it perform at NEFI and what a beautiful sight to behold! Ryan put it up a number of times and makes it all look so easy! It's prop looked huge! :Drooling:

Comment

• Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post

TI did you mean new FliteLine Spit? I went to look for a picture but they aren't on MRC website yet. :( Maybe I'll check the instruction manual to see the diagram.
                      i was able to watch it perform at NEFI and what a beautiful sight to behold! Ryan put it up a number of times and makes it all look so easy! It's prop looked huge! :Drooling:
                      I'll try and put some pictures up later today.
                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• The multi-piece props have been the only thing that I don't like about Freewing/FlightLine warbirds. I've had several major failures with them, that I wouldn't have had with monolithic props. My Spit will arrive today. I hope that the prop assembly has been improved.

[edit] Just looked through the Spit IX Assy Manual, and the prop assembly is individual blades and plastic backplate. :(
                        ---
                        Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                          The multi-piece props have been the only thing that I don't like about Freewing/FlightLine warbirds. I've had several major failures with them, that I wouldn't have had with monolithic props. My Spit will arrive today. I hope that the prop assembly has been improved.

[edit] Just looked through the Spit IX Assy Manual, and the prop assembly is individual blades and plastic backplate. :(
                          But it has a metal cross reinforcement plate which is a huge improvement but yes a completely molded one piece 3 or 4 blade is the way to go........if HSD did it successfully with the A-1(16x6x4) so can all the rest of the manufactures.
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• A reinforcement plate is a significant improvement for sure. I'll just have to see if it can survive Oxotnik as a pilot... :Confused:
                            ---
                            Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                              A reinforcement plate is a significant improvement for sure. I'll just have to see if it can survive Oxotnik as a pilot... :Confused:
                              LOL Ox
                              Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

• My Avanti and my Thunderpower 6S 5000 came!!!!!! However, not even going to put the Avanti together yet. Going to keep practicing with an Eflite Thunderbird scheme Habu EDF and an Eflite F2-J Fury that i got used until I feel confident enough to fly the Avanti. The first two outings with the Fury and the Habu taught me that flying an 4S EDF is way different than my prop planes. Try to get most of my early and inexperienced crashes out of the way with those. Lucklily I have a friend who is a great fly-anything pilot who is buddyboxing me.

Jack
                                Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

• Day 371:

Flew the Ranger EX and the Albatross today...in the rain.

Name:	20170728_203816936_iOS.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	89889

Name:	20170728_232100223_iOS.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	89890

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• TI are you going to keep going and try for 2 years straight.:)
                                    Dewey l

Comment

• Dewey..........that question sounds rhetorical LOL I'm gonna bet George is just gonna keep going until it's dirt nap time ;)
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Day 371:

Flew the Ranger EX and the Albatross today...in the rain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170728_203816936_iOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	125.9 KB ID:	89889

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170728_232100223_iOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	188.2 KB ID:	89890
                                        Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail shall stop our appointed airmen (Tired Iron) from his daily flight!

GO FOR TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	90025
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X