Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day: 394 shot some video but didn't turn out very good...but I was flying the whole time it was completely eclipsed, the roosters were crowing and dew fell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170821_183933525_iOS.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	93660
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Hey TI - put up the video anyway. We had about 85% eclipse in the Chicago area and had eclipse glasses - cool. Wish I had been in ana rea of total e.

Jack
      Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

• Comment

• Holy Hell. I flew the Freewing T45 for the first time tonight. I have no idea what I did wrong yet but I have never flown an airplane so out of trim on the ailerons. lol, I tell ya, I'm still shaking. Landing went not bad. Small bounce off the runway resulted in the nose gear digging into the grass and crumpling the nose cone a little but all in all, given I had a fight all the way in, I'm more than happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by jackcutrone View Post
            Hey TI - put up the video anyway. We had about 85% eclipse in the Chicago area and had eclipse glasses - cool. Wish I had been in ana rea of total e.

Jack
            My wife and I drove up to Cookeville, TN, for the Eclipse. I shot some vid of our area getting dark (a few minutes before, to a few minutes after, the eclipse (2:34 of totality).

---
            Warbirder

Comment

• TI and Ox - Cool :Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun:
              Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	93934 It appears that the cause of the crash was most likely the motor. The new fuse came today and I started working on it. Took all the electronics out, hooked them all up and test the motor (without prop). It ran for about 1 minute or so at WOT and then stopped dead. Pulled throttle off and waited a couple of minutes and ran it up again. Same thing happened. Took my infrared temp meter and the motor was about 160 degrees. Ordered a new motor. I'm a little leary of the ESC now. AM either going to put in a UBEC or take Ox's suggestion and run a Scorpion back-up battery.

Comment

• It's never a good idea to run a motor a WOT for extended periods of time without a prop attached. Unfortunately, your motor was probably OK before you did this, but could be damaged for good now.
                  Pat

Comment

• Actually don't think it was okay before - something caused the motor to pulse and then quit with 3.85 volts per cell but will accept that it is fired now. Ordered new one and an ESC too, just in case. But yes, I should have thought of the effect of running it prop-less WOT..

Comment

• Day: 399

Got the Carbon Z L-4 out this evening, ten minutes on the new Admiral 5000 mAh...such a nice relaxing flier.

Name:	20170825_223223901_iOS.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	94164
                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Phoenix Sonic, maiden flight for me.

.40 OS FP, 10x7 prop.

Flies very nice, stays linear, the only thing it will drop altitude quick when approaching the runway and letting go off the throttle, need to maintain speed for a nice smooth landing. Strange as it may seem its one of the easiest airplanes to flare. Flew it on gusty conditions today, and to my surprise it held well with no erratic behavior.

Did the metal bolts wing mod, battery underneath the fuel tank, and put some cockpit windows to tone down the spaceship look.

Comment

• Woo Hoo! Day: 400

Started out this morning with the A-10 "Rat Hawg"

Name:	20170826_154352287_iOS.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	94214
                          TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Day: 394 shot some video but didn't turn out very good...but I was flying the whole time it was completely eclipsed, the roosters were crowing and dew fell.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170821_183933525_iOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	269.6 KB ID:	93660
                            Couldn't help but chuckle, maybe the video didn't turn out because the camera was pointing it the totally WRONG direction!
                            Sorry TI, just couldn't help but find the humor in that.
                            Anyway, got out to the field early this morning and got a couple of flights in on the Pitts and three on the Bearcat. The Pitts was great but the kitty still needs some tweaking. Nothing major might need some very small shims on the motor to SLIGHTLY adjust the tracking. That big 650 sure makes her haul though!!
                            We finally have our runway resurfaced, but unfortunately, some of the cracks are still a bit deeper than the BC wants, doesn't take much to grind prop tips even with full elevator. She still flies great though, it's just a matter of playing with her a bit I'm sure. Greased the landings on the bright side and in a crosswind, so I can't complain!
                            Hadn't had the Pitts up this year with the exception of last week when I blew the dust off her for one flight, weather wasn't cooperating. Anyway, she flew very well today. readjusting the CG on her made all the difference in the world. A classic case of not believing everything you see on You Tube. I hadn't gone as far as cutting out the fuse to jam the battery even further forward, actually I did, but never flew her that way. Got together with my buddy Dave last year and he set me straight. The battery goes back where the battery straps are and she CG's perfectly. I had a 4000 in her today instead of the usual 3300's and she was slightly nose heavy, my fault, I should have moved her back slightly. It wasn't bad, I rolled her over on her back and she needed slightly more down elevator than I thought she should need, again, no biggie.

All planes came home with no damage whatsoever and off to the field again tomorrow to buddy box with Diane on Pandora II as well as taking the Tigercat and the FW P51 (My Old Crow) as she is flying great as well, I had to swap out a L/G strut from the late My Little Gal II as the grub screw that holds the axle to the strut was stripped and I lost a wheel while taxiing back to the pit. Nothing surprises me with the FW Mustangs, nothing....
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8936a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	208.1 KB ID:	94237Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3660.jpg Views:	1 Size:	218.4 KB ID:	94238Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4731.JPG Views:	1 Size:	111.6 KB ID:	94239
                            Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• After being on vacation for this past week, I was ready for some flying. I flew my Freewing Me-262 twice. Coached my daughter flying her UMX 2S J-3. Maidened my QQ Extra 300. This was a raffle win from last weekend. This is an absolutely awesome airplane. QQ's Aura 8 flight controller is incredible. In my opinion, it's MUCH better than AS3X. High speed in 3D mode and there are hardly any oscillations at all. Slow flight is incredibly easy.

Then, I flew my Vortex Delta. It's a zippy little plane. Well, apparently, I angered one of the trees, because without warning, it reached out and slapped my poor little plane out of the air. Broken wing and cracked fuselage, but nothing that a bit of Foam Tac can't cure.

Also, a fellow club member is getting out of large foamies, and he sold me his 1.7m "Ferocious Frankie" P-51D for a great price. I hope to fly it tomorrow. Today has been a good day!!

---
                              Warbirder

Comment

• Hey Gman! Glad to hear you had a good day at the field.
                                I got a few flights this morning...It was a "North American" type of day. Had the FW P-51 Ironass, and the FW F-86. 4 flights on each.
                                Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Hey Lon, how ya doin'!!
                                  We sure missed you at Nefi!
                                  Just brought Old Crow up to the garage, or as Diane now calls it, her 'She Shack'
                                  I'ts become Summer HQ for flying as well. Anyway, decided to give her a spin tomorrow, along with the Pandora and the Avanti, Freewing Day I guess!
                                  Buddy boxing with Diane on the Pandora to get her into it, the the P-51 and then the Avanti, one extreme to the other.
                                  Sorry we couldn't get together but with the trailer literally falling apart around us, we decided to head for home as quickly as possible, got her fixed now and are heading to Montana next Friday, want to see Bannack, which is a haunted ghost town.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                    Hey Lon, how ya doin'!!
                                    We sure missed you at Nefi!
                                    Just brought Old Crow up to the garage, or as Diane now calls it, her 'She Shack'
                                    I'ts become Summer HQ for flying as well. Anyway, decided to give her a spin tomorrow, along with the Pandora and the Avanti, Freewing Day I guess!
                                    Buddy boxing with Diane on the Pandora to get her into it, the the P-51 and then the Avanti, one extreme to the other.
                                    Sorry we couldn't get together but with the trailer literally falling apart around us, we decided to head for home as quickly as possible, got her fixed now and are heading to Montana next Friday, want to see Bannack, which is a haunted ghost town.

Grossman56
                                    I missed going to NEFI for sure. But my health kept me away...I'm doing fine..getting some flying in when possible.
                                    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Winds were 15 gusting to infinity today so didn't get to fly anything. Tomorrow supposed to be better. (Hope so, club's annual picnic.) But weathermen lie!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post

I missed going to NEFI for sure. But my health kept me away...I'm doing fine..getting some flying in when possible.
                                        That's what we figured, you gotta do what you gotta do. Good to hear you're on the mend.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• We were blessed with 6 mile an hour winds today! Doesn't get any better than that!!
                                          So, it was Freewing day today .
                                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1444.JPG Views:	1 Size:	79.3 KB ID:	94347Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1446.JPG Views:	1 Size:	183.7 KB ID:	94348Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1447.JPG Views:	1 Size:	181.4 KB ID:	94349
                                          Also had a few pics with the Avanti and the plane that started it all, Ol' Weedwacker. Dug her out of her retirement hangar for a few pictures, One of those "You've come a long way Baby" moments...
                                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1149.JPG Views:	1 Size:	91.2 KB ID:	94350Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1152.JPG Views:	1 Size:	107.5 KB ID:	94351Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1151.JPG Views:	1 Size:	114.4 KB ID:	94352
                                          They both like to hang out with a bunch of cats!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1150.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	94353
                                          WHO, ME??!!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X