Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Red Baron 1917 video

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Red Baron 1917 video

Our clubs secretary who is well aware of my warbird obsession sent me an email which included his find of this most recent release of aviation history.
    Here's what he wrote to me and the attached video he discovered.................enjoy!!

The Red Baron
    Wish they had sound back then....

The following is a very rare piece of film, 100 years old. It shows Baron Von Richthofen, doing an external prior to a mission, as well as his putting on a flying suit prior to flight in cold weather.
    If you look close you will notice Hermann Goering in the crowd.
    The Baron was shot down on 21 April 1918 by Roy Brown of the Royal Navy Air Services, a prelude of the R.A.F.. The Aussies also claim that one of their machine gunners on the ground shot the Baron down.
    UK & Aussie Doctors, after the autopsy stated that the fatal bullet was shot from above.

The author of this has been very involved as a Director of the Roy Brown Museum in Carleton Place, the home town of Roy.
    Many letters have been written over the past 3-4 years and finally Roy Brown was inducted into Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame on 4 June 2015.

And to think this film is almost 100 years old!

With your interest in aviation history, you cannot miss this footage. It was just posted on line, and I've never seen anything like it.
    It's from 1917, and it's an up-close and personal look at the most legendary combat pilot who ever lived, the infamous Red Baron, Manfred von Richthofen.

Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Cool footage. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That was amazing. What would the Luftwaffe have been in WW2 if Richthofen had lived instead of Goering? He may not have put up with Hitler as well.

Comment

Cool video. The crew was priming the engine which I found interesting These engines had no throttle the engine magneto had to be turned off and on to regulate the RPM of the engine.

Comment

Thanks for sharing its so neat to have the chance to see this great clips. Thanks goodness for the invention of the camera !!!

Comment

Awesome thanks
            AMA 424553

Comment

Anyone else notice there were no axe handles on the lower wingtips? Must have been an early model.

Comment

A true gem, and a great piece of history. Thanks for sharing that, it gives a great perspective on the issues that pilots had in those days of open cockpits and trying to keep from freezing. That is some of the best WWI footage I have seen.

Comment

Talking of WW1, I don't know if you are aware or not but the pilots of the RFC (Royal Flying Corp) were never issued with parachutes. The top brass thought the pilots would be jumping out of their planes instead of staying to fight. Many pilots jumped to their death rather then burn in a plane on fire. The only people who were issued with parachutes were the observation balloonists. The RFC later became the RAF.

The way it was actually worded was "Giving them parachutes will give them an excuse to jump, and that will show a sign of lacking morale fiber".

Martin.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, OV-10!

Martin, I didn't know that about the RFC. That is... intense.
                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I believe the Americans didn't have 'chutes as well. Different times.....
                      I noticed the date on the film footage was 03/09/1917, one hundred years just a couple of days ago. We've come a long way haven't we??

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

My Red Baron Squadron Replica. I at one time worked for the Squadron lining up show dates and cities.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X