X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story behind your callsign

What's the story behind your callsign? We all use some kind of cool callsign (handle, nickname, username) and I am sure that they all have an interesting story behind them.

In my case, I have used several over the years. But I mostly use "seaviper". Back in the early 1990's I was one of the very few DF fliers at Markham Park in FL. I flew the Bob Fiorenze F-16, also known as the "viper". It was fast and maneuverable. I had friends flying the real thing. The Viper was my favorite plane. At that time I also became a tech diver and bought a boat. It was a fast and maneuverable RIB (rigid hull inflatable...think seals. Actually I did see one just like mine strapped to the side of the USS Higgins) Anyway, I needed a name for the boat.
    I named it "seaviper" after the F-16 because it could do 30+ knots at cruise loaded with divers and tanks and turn like a jet fighter. Empty I got it to 51 kts. It could go faster. I wouldn't.

Anyway, that's why I use "seaviper". It was the name of my boat.
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

I'm TiredIron because I used to collect and restore military vehicles.

Tired Iron Military Vehicle Club

Before...

​​​​​​​

After...

​​​​​​​

Before...

After...

​​​​​​​Others...

​​​​​​​

TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Not much explain for mine, I just like F-106s. My dad used to maintain their radar and weapons systems up at KI Sawyer with the 87th FIS. Still holds the single engine jet speed record record to this day!

BTW, awesome restorations TI, that is simply incredible work!

Comment

I am Kloverzero, and even though it sounds cool, it is actually just a variation of my name. Michael Patric[k lover]o. I just swapped the O on the end for zero!!

Comment

I've used Oxotnik for many years. I studied Russian for a few years, many years ago. I wanted a user name that I could get on almost any US website. So, I picked Oxotnik (pronounced ah-KHOAT-nik). It's transliterated Russian (from охотник, meaning 'the hunter'), which has worked well on gaming sites, and continues to work well for my warbird passion.
          ---
          Warbirder

Comment

Mine is 3 parts:

crx - The Honda CRX is my all-time favorite car that I've owned.

man - I'm a man, duh

pat - That's my name

I created that name back in 2005 when I bought a used Honda CRX and joined my first online forum. Six months later I got into RC, and that name has stuck with me at all the other forums I've joined.
            Pat

Comment

Well, growing up with a last name like Gross, I've heard it all!1
              When people ask my name, I always reply "Gross, like in 'ew that's'"
              Or 'That's real Gross man!"
              The 56 was because I've been using it since I was 56, never updated and have no desire to!!!!

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

I was a in-flight refueler on the KC-135'S and they called us boomers after the refueling boom on the plane. The 108 is my old squadron

Roy B.

Comment

Mine is pretty simple I started learning to fly on a dirt strip that belonged to a local crop duster that ran through the middle of a cotton field. It is a great place to fly it's about 400 acres with a paved road on one side and nothing taller than me to have to worry about hitting. Hence the name farmflyer.

Comment

Long before I discovered RC flying, I was a railroad enthusiast and model railroader, and I live in WV.

Comment

I was an ECMO in the Navy and flew in EA-6B Prowlers. The 901 comes from one of the aircraft I flew in.

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                        I was an ECMO in the Navy and flew in EA-6B Prowlers. The 901 comes from one of the aircraft I flew in.
                        That is cool. I work in county park adjacent to Yeager Airport in Charleston, WV and we get Prowlers flying over the park, doing touch and go's at Yeager occasionally. They are ominous looking and LOUD;-)

Comment

Those must be the Marine Corps. The Navy has replaced all of theirs with Growlers now. At the time I was in, the Prowler was the loudest jet on the deck. Outside the gate at NAS Whidbey Island is a sign that says, Pardon our noise. But, it is the sound of FREEDOM. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                            Those must be the Marine Corps. The Navy has replaced all of theirs with Growlers now. At the time I was in, the Prowler was the loudest jet on the deck. Outside the gate at NAS Whidbey Island is a sign that says, Pardon our noise. But, it is the sound of FREEDOM. :)
                            That's an interesting claim fellow A-6 airframer. My squadrons A-6 Intruders(VA-35) of A's thru E's had the Zappers(VAQ-130) with their Prowlers parked along side us on the Nimitz and they weren't any louder than ours. I believe all A-6 airframes had the same Pratt & Whitney J52 turbojets. I can't see the tail livery on your user icon but you weren't by any chance attached with the Zapper's since they were from Whidbey (I guess almost all the Prowler squadrons were from there in second thought). From personal experience of being a cat checker(black/white shirt), the loudest beast on the deck back then was the A-5 Vigilante. I was at NAS Oceana but made it to your duty station once for some training. I do concur that those sounds are for FREEDOM.

My call sign: I didn't use my call sign for the user name, for some reason going way back to 1/72 plastic models the OV-10 has always been a strong interest of mine transcending into CL carrier and now RC and so it was just an easy moniker to use when I first signed up with the Squawk.
                            I had a real call sign that my XO bestowed on me when I achieved the distinction of being the first NCO below E6 to be assigned the position of 'Cat Checker' (black&white checker shirt) as it was known back then. Today they are called Final Checkers sporting just an all white shirt. I had developed a real good rapport and reputation with my XO and other squadron officers and he used to call me CB which I still use today amongst friends as it is the initials of my name Charlie Brown. The XO took those initials upon the appointment to "checker shirt" and gave me the call sign Charlie Bravo. I also got the opportunity to launch/trap in the B/N seat using that call sign. GO NAVY........
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I can't really make any claim to fame. My name is Martin, although I sometimes use the name "Pappabear" simply because this is what my daughter called me when she was a little girl. I still consider myself to be Pappabear. !

Martin

Comment

I must say Tired Iron you have carried out some very fine restoration work on those vehicles. What happened to them, do you still have them, or did they make way for RC aircraft.

Martin.

Comment

I wish I had a really cool aircraft-related story behind my user name, and I certainly wish it had something to do with a military jet I used to pilot, but the truth is it just came to me one day out of the blue back in 1997. To this day I don't know how or why, but it did, and it's stuck ever since.
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

"Miata" teer, like Musketeer or Rocketeer. Can ya guess I am fond of Mazda Miatas? Never had a site tell me it was taken by somebody else.

Comment

I used to play in a blues band ( 911- BLUES EMERGENCY ! ). Harp, lead guitar, and bass. Anyway, one of the guys started calling me the blues doctor and it stuck. Now, friends and family call me Doc. Doc

Comment

I use cack 82. It just reminds me of that first snap sound when an old rotary engine on a biplane takes spark.

Comment

Working...
                                        X