You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That negative feeling or the doubt monster.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That negative feeling or the doubt monster.

Do you ever get that I shouldn't fly today vibe at the field? Ever doubt yourself right before take off? If so do you pack it in or power through risking failure?
    AMA 1102566

Sure there are times I just don't feel right about it and walk away but it also depends on what I'm flying. Some air frames require a but more attention than others.

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

There is times I get that "Don't feel right" feeling. But most all the time this feeling comes about because of weather flying conditions and where i'm flying at. I've come to respect these gut feelings because of what has happened in the past.
      One instance, early in the flying season weather wise. I just "Had to fly". I went to a local school parking lot, plenty wide but short in length with BIG curbs. There was a significant cross wind to add to the conditions. Had that feeling, but...Oh Heck! Go for it!!! Everything went well, greased the landing, BUT, I had not touched as soon as i needed to, during roll out I wasn't able to avoid hitting a curb. Bent gear and broken gear doors...DANG!
      I have a few other stories along this line....I don't even unpack now when I arrive at a flying site, get out and evaluate conditions/weather ect. And i get that feeling...i get back in my vehicle and go back home, or sit for a while if it's a weather condition such as fog.
      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Yes! Conditions factor in a lot and what I brought to the field. Sometimes I bring more planes than I actually fly because certain ones in certain conditions I just don't feel comfortable flying. One plane I have had for a year and still haven't felt comfortable trying to fly it from our field but that is changing. If I feel a bit light headed for whatever reason or my eyes are dry and I have a hard time seeing clearly at a distance I don't risk it either. New fields are a challenge too. Sometimes I would rather just sit and listen to the other pilots tell "fish" stories (of course I put on my rubber boots first). ;) We recently had to change the flight pattern at our field and before I flew some of my nicer EDF's I wanted to make sure I felt comfortable with the landing approaches using some other planes first. Better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Yesterday I had a situation. I really wanted to fly my 1400 t28. The roads had cleared of snow and I took it to my spot. We had huge gusts of wind 20-30mph but for some reason I was gonna fly lol. I throttle up and for some reason on roll out my t28 shot right at a severe angle and plane went into a snow bank. No damage other than pride. I cleaned out the snow from the prop area and went home. Now today I am doubting my flying skills.
          AMA 1102566

Comment

Well said. I've been there many times as well. It can be anything from fog, to wind, to the pilot. Do not neglect that last one... Last time I was at the field, my allegries started acting up, and I hadn't gotten a lot of sleep. That is a bad combo, especially when the 100 mph jet is the plane you brought out. I did 2 flights with the old trusted FW F-86, but called it a day at that. I've lost several planes planes because I've ignored that gut feeling. The main thing you have to do is step back and see if you can find a chain of less than ideal events that got you to the field that day. I know it sounds stupid, but this chain of events is the same thing we are taught to look out for in the full scale world, and it does creep up you! For example, you might be feeling under the weather, but the wind at the field looks good, so you pack everything up and head out. When you get there, you find there is a gusting crosswind, and low hanging fog, and allergies are acting up. Individually, these things might be fine to fly in, but both at once aren't going to make for an easy day. Especially when you are thinking to yourself "Well, I just drove half an hour to get here, I can't NOT fly!". Better to pack up and head home with everything in one piece, than try for that flight.

Comment

There are many times we go to the field to get work done and chances are we are filming or photographing a plane that has never flown before. Maidens are always a little something extra by nature. Some planes you know by looking at their shape that they will handle anything, others not so much. With that being said, the planes that look like they may be a handful stay grounded if the weather is not right. We always have something else with us that can go up, so we'll work on it instead. Every now and then we will show up and say forget it. At our field wind from the North is the wind that will get you. It comes over a low quarry then a hill then a tree line and gets real choppy. Coming from the south it goes over wide open planes and is a little more predictable. Our field runs east and west.

I always try to check myself before I wreck myself. Before take off I always think through the landing and what correction I'll need in advance. That way it's no surprise when I'm landing and need to apply right rudder and left aileron to stay level and correct the crab angle. Also, some mock approaches help as well.

Comment

Flying everyday has put me in this situation many times and of course I go ahead and fly, it's always the wind that's the biggest concern. I'm not that worried about damaging the planes the real concern is safety, flying in high wind (30-40mph) can be very dangerous. Trying to keep a plane under control in those conditions is like trying to pluck the eyebrows of a rabid squirrel.
                TiredIron Aviation
                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Akuma,

I definitely think most pilots, if not all, have dealt with that same feeling in one way shape or form. I've had days that make me not fly for whatever reason or combination of reasons such as lack of sleep, head cold, weather conditions, a gut feeling, etc. Listening to yourself and what role these types of factors are playing in your decision to fly is a sign of a good pilot in my opinion, and it's necessary to stay grounded if you feel so. Better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Since these are RC models and we do it for fun, if you're not having fun put them away. Why suffer through something if it makes you feel icky or you are not enjoying it and it's a choice? If it is your job you knuckle down a work through it but most of us don't fly RC for a living. I've loaded up and headed to the field thinking the joy and excitement will come, got to the field and started unloading and promptly stopped and loaded back up and headed home. I've got plenty of other things to do than trying to force a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                      Flying everyday has put me in this situation many times and of course I go ahead and fly, it's always the wind that's the biggest concern. I'm not that worried about damaging the planes the real concern is safety, flying in high wind (30-40mph) can be very dangerous. Trying to keep a plane under control in those conditions is like trying to pluck the eyebrows of a rabid squirrel.
                      Wow! I want to party with you, cowboy!!!

Bob

Comment

I just tried to fly again today and I cirbed it again. No idea what the hell is going. Everything is kosher on my bird directions etc. The only thing I can think of is I am trying to use my 5000mah packs instead of my normal 3000 and its just to much weight for it. I got about 75 feet into my roll out and went to 3/4 throttle and she would just not lift and veared into a snow pile :( Its gotta be the battery. So odd maybe its all mental. I have never had a issue with this bird ever. It flies like a dream.
                        AMA 1102566

Comment

I get the heebie-jeebies before maidening an aircraft, sure. It's often the only aircraft of its kind in the world at the time, some sort of rare prototype or similar, but I get the same feeling even with my regular retail-bought airplanes also. I think it's natural. I counter that feeling with Preparation, going through a mental checklist and sometimes a written one of all the pre-flight tasks, reassuring myself that I've done all that I can do to maximize the probability of a safe flight and safe landing. It is important to not allow fear to prevent preparation; in fact preparation should overcome fear. Sure, I've still lost aircraft in inexplicable ways even after executing all the preparation in the world. In those times, I remind myself, we're not curing cancer here, we're just flying airplanes. As long as people aren't hurt, it's still technically a Win.

AkumaZeto, in your case with this T-28, it's a tough one. Go through all the obvious things, and if those check out, then start looking for the more obscure possible causes. Is one your wheels not spinning freely, causing a braking action? Run up your setup on a wattmeter and ensure the ESC is performing and your battery is up to snuff. Doublecheck for any binding in your elevator servo's linkage, and ensure there isn't a notch in the teeth of the elevator servo gear at the point that the elevator is up. Gently press down on your control surfaces while they're fully deflected and listen for a skipping gear or a chipped tooth, which could be preventing you from having full deflection while at takeoff speed. Etc, etc, etc.

Best of luck!

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I have gone on hundreds of flights in various Army Aircraft. I had butterflies before every one. We need to have total confidence in the work we do and our flying skills. If we do not have that on a particular day than just walk away. I'm sure we all have. Sometimes DISCRESION is the better part of Valor. Best of luck my friend. Just remember never give up.

Comment

I like that sentiment, Big Jets Joe.
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I've been there, beeg. If it just doesn't feel right, I either pack it up or sit around shooting the bull. Sometimes it begins to feel right after shooting the bull. I can't explain it. Doc

Comment

No doubt we have all been there. I used to ignore that gut feeling and sometimes I would go home with a bunch of pieces in the back of the SUV that used to resemble a model airplane. These days I am known to not fly if I have a bad feeling. Sometimes there's no good reason for it, but I won't chance it. Been burned too many times. Sometimes you just have to calm your nerves through good preparation and pre-flight checks and trust your skill as a pilot that baring any unfortunate turn of events (on board system failure) the flight will turn out okay.

I have the HSD F-16 105MM EDF jet and it's by far the largest and heaviest EDF jet I have ever flown. Every single time I fly her I am a nervous wreck. The size and weight admittedly intimidates me to the point that I question my own ability at times, lol. It helps that I found an 1,800 foot paved parking lot to fly her but I still get sweaty palms every time I get ready to throttle up. Sometimes things just happen. Take for instance my flight yesterday.

I took the F-16 to the large parking lot yesterday. I brought someone along who has been wanting to see it fly. Got her on the takeoff roll, full power and about 20 feet or so before I was ready to apply back pressure for the rotation the gear made contact with something and she popped up in the air...I tried to lower the nose to avoid a stall and the gear hit the ground, she then popped back off and I decided to hope for the best. I noticed the mains were not retracting so I had to keep the gear down for the flight. So due to the distractions the flight sucked and because the guy I was with was standing along the runway path and I had to ask him to move, the landing sucked...I was just off my game from the distractions and the intimidation factor as this was just my 6th flight with her.

Walking back we found the obstacle. It's a large rock that is permanently embedded in the asphalt. And of course even though it's only an inch wide or so, I hit it with my gear on the takeoff. I couldn't do that again even if there were large sums of money involved. Murphy's Law!

I've had at least one awesome flight with this bird so I know it's possible! LOL

Sometimes you just have to battle the nerves and fly.

My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Akuma,

Happens to me more times than I want to admit. I Especially, if I have a squadron of high performance, non-forgiving planes with with me. Each with its own set of quirks to remember.

I can almost predict by the mood I'm in how the RC gods will respond on any given day. Almost like golf, where on some days, you can't make a two-foot put and on others, you're draining them in from 10 feel effortlessly. Ahem.... I gave up golf for RC LOL

What has helped over time is to bring along a "go-to" plane. One which with I have a high confidence level. Almost like I could fly it blind-folded. I have a couple of Dollar Tree "prop in the slot" jets that I warm up with to get the juices flowing. Then I progressively take-on the next challenge. For my edf's, I'll fly the FW Yak-130 or A6 before moving on to the F5 or Mig-21. One victory at a time.

There have been days when I just can't do anything very well for one reason or another. That's when I pack up .

You're not alone,

Hawk
                                    Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                    Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                    I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
                                      Do you ever get that I shouldn't fly today vibe at the field? Ever doubt yourself right before take off? If so do you pack it in or power through risking failure?
                                      I've arrived at the field and watched several guys put planes into the ground while I was getting ready to fly. Sometimes after that I get a weird feeling and elect not to fly but hang out and enjoy the social aspect of being there.

Other times I've put one in the ground and stopped flying for the day because I know in the back of my mind I'm beating myself up for whatever happened be it dumb thumbs or a suspected brown out and my focus isn't as sharp as it needs to be.

I've stopped but the field and just not felt like flying so I hang out and visit with friends.

Comment

Originally posted by borntoolate View Post

Wow! I want to party with you, cowboy!!!

Bob
                                        Ha ha, this came immediately to mind.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                        X