X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries

Question: if a battery has a higher capacity to discharge than the motor would require (i.e. 60C discharge capability when only 40C is called for by the motor) is that okay? I realize that you shouldn't run a 40C rated battery when 60C is required - but is it okay if its the other way around?

Hi Missed approach, welcome to Hobby Squawk! I don't think I've had the chance to greet you personally yet.

The short answer is, in general, you're fine.

The longer answers is, the devil is in the details between On Paper and In Practice, and overall those variances aren't major in the context of flying just about anything we sell at Motion RC. A motor and prop/fan combo at a given voltage will pull roughly the same amps and consume the same watts, as long as the battery can provide and sustain the amp draw under load. That a battery's discharge capacity is higher may result in the battery giving that energy more easily, and sure higher rpm may result for a time so be mindful of that, but in general the increase isn't to the point that you're endangering your components. In other words, it's not like using a 60c instead of 40c battery will increase your rpm by 50%... the math just doesn't work that way.

All this says nothing of the even deeper question about *actual* discharge rate performance versus *published* discharge rate. But that's been covered in other discussions.

What plane is this for, anyway? Or is it a general inquiry?
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
      Hi Missed approach, welcome to Hobby Squawk! I don't think I've had the chance to greet you personally yet.

The short answer is, in general, you're fine.

The longer answers is, the devil is in the details between On Paper and In Practice, and overall those variances aren't major in the context of flying just about anything we sell at Motion RC. A motor and prop/fan combo at a given voltage will pull roughly the same amps and consume the same watts, as long as the battery can provide and sustain the amp draw under load. That a battery's discharge capacity is higher may result in the battery giving that energy more easily, and sure higher rpm may result for a time so be mindful of that, but in general the increase isn't to the point that you're endangering your components. In other words, it's not like using a 60c instead of 40c battery will increase your rpm by 50%... the math just doesn't work that way.

All this says nothing of the even deeper question about *actual* discharge rate performance versus *published* discharge rate. But that's been covered in other discussions.

What plane is this for, anyway? Or is it a general inquiry?
      Thank you for the greeting - feel lucky to be here - I was hoping to run my Admiral PRO 4000 / 60C in my new D - Beaver 2000mm (Just purchased from MotionRC - came in the other day along with a pair of A-10's (why buy 1 when you can buy 2 for twice the price as the Pentagon would say lol)
      Last edited by Missed approach; Feb 18, 2017, 09:12 PM. Reason: typo in size

Comment

Should I be using the "quote" function to respond or just make a new entry like this?...

Comment

Working...
        X