You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you take to the field with you ? Tool box or fishing tackle box ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you take to the field with you ? Tool box or fishing tackle box ?

Im looking for a new tool box idea to take take all my tools, glue, misc parts to the field. I've been looking at tool and fishing tackle boxes and haven't found anything that fits my need. What do you guys use ?

I just throw my tools in the Spektrum hard case with my radio right now. But, I am planning on getting one these tool boxes for the field sooner or later. TI posted a link to it a while back and its been on the list ever since: http://www.sears.com/sainty-internat...p-00945027000P.

Comment

These HF aluminum cases are quite popular. I'm using the 62272
      Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
        These HF aluminum cases are quite popular. I'm using the 62272
        Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
        +1... That's the same case I use. It's rugged, roomy, & quite inexpensive. I have mine set up with enough tools/material to do open-heart surgery on an EP plane. Driving 21mi to the field makes it necessary to be able to continue to fly instead of having to pack it all up & drive 21mi back home. In addition, I have saved other club members from having a shortened day because of a simple issue that needed attending to. Pics attached....

Denny
        *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
        *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

yea I use the same thing then use a ultra steel bag from walmart for my lipos works great

Comment

I use a metal 3 drawer tool box from Home Depot (slightly customized).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7803.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	63960

Name:	IMG_7804.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	63961
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I use this when I go to the field. I used to use a bigger one but found I just did not need something so big. I keep my batteries in various ammo cans depending on the size and which planes I take depends on which ammo cans I take.

Name:	Toolbox.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	63965
              My YouTube Channel

Comment

I use a plastic "Husky" 3 drawer tool box. It was on sale at Home Depot for about 15-20 bucks or something like that. For batteries I use a "SAW box" which are a large 5.56 boxes for the SAW with an inside box/divider made from luan or similar with a cork lined bottom. I tried the .50cal boxes but they just weren't big enough for the 4 and 6 cell batts. For my gasser stuff I use a medium/large plastic storage container you can get from Wally World, Home Depot or Lowes.

Comment

MTM makes ammo can organizers

Comment

Harbor Freight has a nice selection of tool boxes and ammo cans. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                      they carry metal ammo cans ?

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                        I use a plastic "Husky" 3 drawer tool box. It was on sale at Home Depot for about 15-20 bucks or something like that. For batteries I use a "SAW box" which are a large 5.56 boxes for the SAW with an inside box/divider made from luan or similar with a cork lined bottom. I tried the .50cal boxes but they just weren't big enough for the 4 and 6 cell batts. For my gasser stuff I use a medium/large plastic storage container you can get from Wally World, Home Depot or Lowes.

Hi what did you use to line the ammo cans?, and where did you get it. Thanks nick

Comment

I used this "black board" stuff I had laying around the shop. I know you can get it from Home Depot and probably Lowes or any other hardware store. The pictures below show it's about 3/16 or 1/4, Sorry the tab isn't complete. it's a dense fibris material with one side painted with some kind of black. You could just as easily use Luan plywood or something similar. I know you can by small 24x24 sheets of thin material like this at Home Depot if you don't want to buy a whole 4x8 sheet. Just cut out your pieces of desired arrangement and glue together taking care that it fits easily into the can and that the top closes properly. I just used CA but any glue would work.

For the cork on the bottom, look in the flooring or shelving department for the 1/8 cork that comes in a bundle of about 8 to 10 pieces that are about 9x9 squares. It's a lot cheaper than just buying sheet cork which can be really expensive. I used contact cement for these pieces. Cork isn't necessary but I figured it would help cushion the Lipos a little.

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                            I couldn't image Harbor Freight has ammo cans cheaper than one of your local Army Surplus stores but I know some Army Surplus stores will try to gouge you. I wouldn't pay more than 20bucks for a SAW box.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post

I couldn't image Harbor Freight has ammo cans cheaper than one of your local Army Surplus stores but I know some Army Surplus stores will try to gouge you. I wouldn't pay more than 20bucks for a SAW box.
                              I stopped in harbor freight today, brand new metal 50 cal ammo cans $15.99

Comment

I am notoriously terrible about bringing a tool box. As long as I don't forget to bring my plane, battery and radio, it's a good day. Anything beyond that is sheer luck and gravy. :)
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by weedsnager View Post

I stopped in harbor freight today, brand new metal 50 cal ammo cans $15.99
                                  That sounds inline. .50 cal cans are a little smaller than SAW boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                    I am notoriously terrible about bringing a tool box. As long as I don't forget to bring my plane, battery and radio, it's a good day. Anything beyond that is sheer luck and gravy. :)
                                    LOL! Yeah, I've got to the field without my radio before. You only make that mistake once or twice.

Comment

LOL

No doubt! Been there, done that!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Yup... Harbor freight has both metal and plastic, large and small. I use the metal ones for storage in my shop and plastic to the field because they are lighter and easier to open.. Doc

Comment

Working...
                                        X