X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tao of Publishing Your RC Flight Videos

In this day and age in the hobby it's almost uncommon if you are not uploading video of your flights on YouTube.

To say videos of RC flights are ubiquitous these days is like saying there's just a few stars in the night sky. You could spend the rest of your life looking up all the RC flying-related videos on YouTube and still not get through them all. But why should that stop you and I from adding to the pile? It can be very rewarding both for the flyer and the audience to have your flight video published online. Whether you get 100 views or 1,000,000 views, there's true worth in watching someone's flying experience.

In the past six years or so that I have recorded and published my flight videos to YouTube I have been almost embarrassed at the sheer number of videos I have published. Several hundreds of videos if not approaching a thousand or more. While it's easy to feel somewhat silly about the sheer number, I think back about some of the comments I've received through the years, thanking me for this or that video, because of this or that reason. So always keep in mind, even if you think your video is inconsequential, and nobody cares...Trust me...Somebody out there is watching, and caring, and it could even have a real impact.

If you are a bit shy, or not quite sure how to get started, the internet is full of resources to help. Including my own quick tips:

1) Invest in a decent HD mini camera. Most flyers these days aren't strapping GoPros to their model aircraft. Why would you when you have cameras out there for half the price with almost identical resolution and HD ability? The Mobius 2 Action Camera is my personal go-to cam that I have used now dozens and dozens of times with resounding success. 1080p HD with 60 FPS (Frames Per Second) that looks every bit as crisp and sharp as any GoPro footage I have seen and for more than half the cost and weight. There are other great mini cams as well. Just so you don't think I am only pumping up the product we sell, look up "#16 Keychain Cam" for another decent alternative.

2) If you're not afraid of touch up paint for your model, look no further than Gorilla Tape for your rock star adhesive when it comes to locking your mini cam in place. I like to use and explore multiple camera angles for my flights which means it doesn't make any kind of sense to place a permanent mounting fixture on one area of the model as some do. So instead I use Gorilla Tape to lock my cam in place. My buddy and I have a running joke that we pretty much believe we could create an RC model airplane out of Gorilla Tape and it would fly. That is how high of regard we have for the stuff. Now yes, it will peel back most paint but if you don't mind grabbing a quart or sample size of matching paint from your local hardware store, then what are you waiting for? Now if you do mind? Well, I can't help you there...

:P

3) YouTube is crazy user friendly. If you don't have an account, sign up. They are not the boogie monsters. They don't take your personal information, send it to the CIA and send Seal Team 5 spooks to your location. In fact, they don't even farm out your personal info like MANY unsuspecting companies do. <grouchy face here>. Once you have an account, it's easy to upload videos, and if you are overwhelmed, simply search "How to upload videos to YouTube" and you will find more information than you could ever ask for.

4) Now this is going to hit a few nerves but I feel it's my duty as someone who has been immersed - no - saturated in the hobby for the past several years to offer solid video recording advice:

Do NOT film your flights with your camera strapped to your baseball cap or hat. Why? Because one, the view we get to see isn't exactly the view you get to see. Maybe the camera's lens is higher or lower than your vantage point. But far more frustrating than that is that you have no way to zoom in so what the audience gets to see is a camera that is generally missing the target 60% of the time AND when it does show your model in view it looks like a gnat moving slowly across a TV screen at 3 in the morning. YAWN. (Sorry, I know, tough love).

Do NOT bother having your buddy, brother, sister's husband or that neighbor you promised you would take with you to watch you fly film your flight AND publish it if they have NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING. If I had a dollar for every video I have watched where the video person couldn't keep focus and/or missed the landing I could buy one of our awesome EDF 90mm jets. Don't take the easy road! Find someone who actually cares about the hobby AND cares about delivering quality footage. Nobody wants to see how well the camera person missed your landing or had half your flight out of focus.

I know. It's not always easy to find that perfect person. Maybe your only opportunity to record your flights is said cam on your hat. I don't want to discourage you from doing that if that is your only way to publish your videos AND if it is? Then use the tools available to you to do the best job you can to deliver the best possible video you can. You will be rewarded for your efforts in one way or another. Don't get caught up in views and comments. Some of my favorite videos and viewer comments came from videos that had maybe 100 views or less. I've had videos that had thousands and thousands of views and comments that didn't impact me like the other less viewed videos did.

Always remember, it's about quality, not quantity.

I hope this is helpful for some of you out there looking into the world of publishing your flight videos. It's a big flight video universe out there, add to it and make your mark!

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Nice vid mate. Really enjoyed that. Couldn't agree more with your comments. I enjoy making them and watching others, but not when I can't see anything but sky.

Comment

Nice vid and great thread. I have yet to do any flight videos. Just might have to start. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Thanks fellas! It's a lot of fun and a great part of the hobby! Twowingtj, I hope the thread inspires you to give it a go!
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I try to do at least one YouTube video of every plane I've owned. In the event I smash it to pieces, it may be the only documentation that I have of the plane flying. I don't put them on YouTube to get views. It's been said that some videos that have 50 million views in a matter of a few weeks is all faked. Somehow, some people know how to fudge the views to make them show huge numbers without actually getting them. I could care less how many views I get. Sometimes, I'll even make them "private" or by link only. I do it for me and to demonstrated something for those in a forum thread.
          What I've only learned recently is how to edit my videos and I wish others would do the same. There's nothing worse than trying to view a 15 minute video where the first 5 minutes is of the guy putting his battery in and hearing all the by-standers in the background yapping. Then another 4 minutes of seeing the plane roll painfully out to the end of the runway and just sit there for another 2 minutes as the pilot checks his "spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch" before doing the take off roll. Then after the landing, showing the walk to go pick up the plane after it's nosed over. The "split" and "remove" functions of a video editor is really handy. I prefer to see the take off, the fly bys and the landings. The stuff in between where the plane is a tiny little dot in the sky, I try to edit out now.

Comment

Fun thread! I should try making videos someday! lol

Comment

Yeah come on Pilot Ryan ya slacker! LOL
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I tried it once, but I couldn't hold the camera and the radio at the same time lol!
                Seriously though, I saw somewhere that there was a camera that had a sensor on it so that if you placed the little receiver on something, such as an airplane, the camera would track it. I think it was in one of the AMA magazines, I'll have to look.
                Anyway, I thought that was a great idea, if only you could control the zoom automatically as well, it would be perfect. Anyone know what it is I'm referring to??

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Soloshot robot camera

Comment

Have you ever seen the video results of one of these??

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Your personal robot cameraman. Automatically tracks, edits, and captures 4k action video - just wear or mount the Tag.

Pretty pricey but an interesting idea.
                      Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

The new one might be a soloshot3 by now. Scour YouTube and you can find some videos. I love the idea, but I'm yet to be impressed. There's a lot to the setup that I think is missed by early users. The zoom issue must be sorted for one thing.

Comment

Some of the boys were talking about this tracking camera the other day. Apparently it's not quite up to par yet to track model planes, but a new version is due soon with fixes.

Enjoyed making this one, my latest. :)

Comment

I've been trying to get someone to man the camera for me for a couple years now. Someone that at least knows what they're doing or has an interest. It's been hard.

Things to consider. Talking about hand held cameras, not Mobius airplane mounted stuff.
                            1.) IPads and IPhones take pretty decent resolution video but even hand help camcorders suffer from not having a dedicated view finder. The few times I've got someone to use my IPad all complained about the same thing in that the glare on the screen makes it very hard to see the tiny airplane on the screen. I would suggest something with a view finder or shield the outside ambient light. Most cheaper camcorders have such a small LCD screen that you can't see the plane in the best of conditions.
                            2.)From a framing stand point, try to keep the plane in the last 1/3 of the frame. Not so much the middle but definitely not the front of the frame. You should show as much of where the plane is going not were it's been.
                            3.) High speed auto focus with zoom.
                            I'm sure Mike or Ryan can expand on these thoughts.
                            In my research of looking for a decent camcorder with a view finder isn't cheap. The good ones with dedicated view finders start around at least $500-$800 and really good ones (home use) are $1,500 before you jump to professional models which start around $5,000.

With GoPos and the like, how many times have we seen an RC video of a model taking off, then a miniscule black dot moving around for 3-5 minutes then a landing?

Comment

xviper2, yeah I tend to have my mouse cursor over the fast forward button a lot when watching videos. No disrespect intended to the author of the video but I too could care less about watching the preflight, boring chatter, etc...I want to see the takeoff, some nice passes and maneuvers and the landing. The good stuff!

Soloshot has the right idea but as ryan says, there's still work to be done.

Shirty, nice video! Love the jet!

Beeg, good comments...As for the videos with the miniscule black dot for 3-5 minutes, lord all those minutes I will never have back. :Straight-Face:
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                              X