X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Here Are Full Scale Pilots?

I am intrigued by how many full scale pilots are in the R/C hobby as well. I've seen everything from fighter jet pilots to commercial pilots, VFR GenAv pilots...

I will never forget the time I was on the side of the road by the junior high I often fly at, loading my models back in my vehicle after some flying. An older gentleman pulls up behind me, gets out and proceeds to "oooh and aaah" my models asking all kinds of questions with the enthusiasm of a young man, dreaming about the magic of flight. I was happy to answer all of his questions. He just couldn't keep his eyes off of these foam models. Before he left I asked him if he had any flying experience. He says, ever so humbly...

"Not RC models." I said, "Oh, you fly full scale?" thinking Cessna 172s or the such...

He says with the humility of a janitor, "No, I've been a captain flying 747s for the past 35 years."

I was floored. Here's a captain, flying one of the largest jumbo jets in aviation history for 35 years, looking at my 50" wingspan foam RC models like a kid on Christmas morning. I don't know why that has always stuck with me but it has. So what about our fellow full scale pilots out there? What do you fly and how did you get into the RC flying hobby? Love to hear your stories.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I've been a professional pilot for 31 years and I still oooh and aaahh at all kinds of airplane models. I think it's something instilled in us at an early age. I built my first two plastic models when I was 5 and remember them like it was yesterday. They looked like crap with glue all over the place but they were sooo cool. The smell of Pactra Chrome Silver model paint still takes me back to my childhood. :saywhaI progressed to rubber power and control line in my pre teen years and got my first RC in my teens.
    At my current RC club we have at least 6 airline type pilots and probably as many corporate pilots like myself and a couple private pilots and government pilots too.

Comment

I just want to add that when flying full size airplanes the only thing you see is the panel in front of you and the earth slowly moving along, most of the time. It's not like you can see yourself flying by. Flying models we get to see them fly by and models of unique and beautiful and awesome airplanes. I would like to add that flying full size airplanes every once in awhile we do see truly breath taking and indescribable skyscapes that no picture or description can do justice.

Comment

I had to relinquish my IF rated PPL 30 years ago when diagnosed with Type I (insulin dependent) diabetes :(
        The FAA wouldn't buy in to me pulling over to the nearest cloud to check my sugars. LOL
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Flying is definitely a passion of mine and has been since I was a child. I didn't go balls out on ratings because of cost but I got a private pilot certificate and current class 2 medical and really enjoy flying rc models as well. I get excited every time I hear or see anything that flys.. I started out small and fly a wide variety of rc scale models. Classic warbirds and edf jets, aerobatic 500 size helis heavy lift drones and aerobatic racers. Flying is an itch that can't be scratched enough for me.

Comment

I'm currently still getting lessons flying gliders. Been doing it about 5 years now on and off as time and money permit. Love it. Had a couple of lessons in cessnas but personally, I prefer flying the gliders.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
              I just want to add that when flying full size airplanes the only thing you see is the panel in front of you and the earth slowly moving along, most of the time. It's not like you can see yourself flying by. Flying models we get to see them fly by and models of unique and beautiful and awesome airplanes. I would like to add that flying full size airplanes every once in awhile we do see truly breath taking and indescribable skyscapes that no picture or description can do justice.
              Yes, no doubt there are perks to flying full scale for sure but I totally understand the lack of the "thrill" at times. My old CFI who flies an Airbus A320 for Virgin would always tell me how much he enjoyed training with me in 172s. I always said, how could that be when you get to fly such a sophisticated, giant aircraft? He went on about how these days there's very little real flying so much is it is automated. He said he feels like he's pushing buttons more than flying an airplane. Getting in a small civil aircraft like a 172 is good ol' fashioned stick and rudder flying. I can understand that.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                I had to relinquish my IF rated PPL 30 years ago when diagnosed with Type I (insulin dependent) diabetes :(
                The FAA wouldn't buy in to me pulling over to the nearest cloud to check my sugars. LOL
                Oh that is a true bummer OV10 about the diabetes and having to give up your PPL. I felt a pang of true empathetic sadness and then you had to go make me genuinely LOL with your last sentence.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Z34 View Post
                  Flying is definitely a passion of mine and has been since I was a child. I didn't go balls out on ratings because of cost but I got a private pilot certificate and current class 2 medical and really enjoy flying rc models as well. I get excited every time I hear or see anything that flys.. I started out small and fly a wide variety of rc scale models. Classic warbirds and edf jets, aerobatic 500 size helis heavy lift drones and aerobatic racers. Flying is an itch that can't be scratched enough for me.
                  Welcome to Hobby Squawk Z34! Although I don't have my PPL I can certainly agree about the itch that can't be scratched enough. Aviation is my ultimate passion.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                    I'm currently still getting lessons flying gliders. Been doing it about 5 years now on and off as time and money permit. Love it. Had a couple of lessons in cessnas but personally, I prefer flying the gliders.
                    Gliders, my first true love. Something about the majestic slender long wings...I would stare transfixed at those molded scale T-tails like the ASW 28 for hours as a kid longing to fly in one of those beautiful birds. I got a chance to take the stick in a DG 1000 and was shocked at the sensitivity and agility. I was too afraid to do too much so I didn't really "fly" her as much as I rocked her wings before the PIC took over and showed me what she was really capable of. What a rush! That is as stick and rudder as it gets.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I have my PPL in helicopters, hoping to get around to doing fixed wing as well at some point. My dad owns an Enstrom F28C, and I've been flying in since I fit in a car seat. He also has his instructors rating and taught both my brother and I to fly. I've had a couple of flights in small planes as well, but always loved the huge view and low turbulence of flying choppers. I've been hooked on aviation for as long as I can remember, in all forms. I did plastic modeling, guillows stick/tissue, rubber power, and messed with a lot of cheap free flight electric aircraft as a kid. But, there was never enough open space to fly planes, so I learned CP Helis. When I went to college, low and behold there was a huge RC field on campus operated by some of the nicest guys I've ever met. By the end of freshman year I had 3 planes, and I was hooked on warbirds, jets, and scale Helis.

Comment

Great shot F106!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

Gliders, my first true love. Something about the majestic slender long wings...I would stare transfixed at those molded scale T-tails like the ASW 28 for hours as a kid longing to fly in one of those beautiful birds. I got a chance to take the stick in a DG 1000 and was shocked at the sensitivity and agility. I was too afraid to do too much so I didn't really "fly" her as much as I rocked her wings before the PIC took over and showed me what she was really capable of. What a rush! That is as stick and rudder as it gets.
                          Yep, I love em. Two pedals, a stick, and not much else... Short version is a best mate and I have a long standing "tradition" of doing something for each other's birthday that (usually), will scare the .... out of each other. Skydiving, great white shark dives, rallydriving etc etc. if it's dangerous, we've probably tried it. One year, he got me combat aerobatics in a glider, and I was hooked immediately. The pilot was throwing it around all over the sky, and I couldnt wipe the smile off my face. (In between laughing I was enjoying it that much). That seemed to stir the pilot up to get more and more aggressive with it, and I loved every second of it! The rest is history, I had to keep doing this. I love the fact all you can hear is the wind rushing past the cockpit, but my favourite part is doing aerobatics with em, and it's so easy to do. i still can't land em real well though lol. imho, there's nothing quite like flying a glider. ;)

Comment

Thanks Aros for starting this thread - very glad to see this here! I'm sure there are many interesting stories to come.

I have loved planes for as long as I can remember...

I am currently finishing up studying to take my written test for my PPL. My first 50 hours or so were in Cessna 172s, flying out of Van Nuys Airport in Los Angeles. On a separate note, there's a documentary from 2005 centered on this airport titled One Six Right. For anyone who loves aviation, it is a must-see film. It is a major factor in my love for aviation today, both model and "full-scale." I find it quite fitting that my first solo flight at age 17 was from that very same airport that sparked my passion for the hobby.

Due to complications with airplanes and instructors, I have moved to Hawthorne airport, which is just 2 miles from LAX, one of the worlds busiest airport... dealing with the radios is tough, but it is definitely a great learning experience. I also am now lucky enough to be flying a Cirrus SR20, which is just such a gorgeous aircraft. As mentioned above, I would love the chance to fly a glider some day, and get some real stick and rudder training. I am so lucky to be able to be flying at this age, and I'd like to think that I know that whatever path lives takes me down, aviation will be a part of it :) Can't wait to hear more stories. Attached below are a couple pictures - one taken while flying at 2500ft midfield over LAX, and the other just after landing!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yep. Great thread idea. Love hearing everyone's stories. Pretty sure I was a bird in my past life. Can't imagine life without flying, whether it be RC or full scale. What's not to love... :)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam.MotionRC View Post
                                Thanks Aros for starting this thread - very glad to see this here! I'm sure there are many interesting stories to come.

I have loved planes for as long as I can remember...

I am currently finishing up studying to take my written test for my PPL. My first 50 hours or so were in Cessna 172s, flying out of Van Nuys Airport in Los Angeles. On a separate note, there's a documentary from 2005 centered on this airport titled One Six Right. For anyone who loves aviation, it is a must-see film. It is a major factor in my love for aviation today, both model and "full-scale." I find it quite fitting that my first solo flight at age 17 was from that very same airport that sparked my passion for the hobby.

Due to complications with airplanes and instructors, I have moved to Hawthorne airport, which is just 2 miles from LAX, one of the worlds busiest airport... dealing with the radios is tough, but it is definitely a great learning experience. I also am now lucky enough to be flying a Cirrus SR20, which is just such a gorgeous aircraft. As mentioned above, I would love the chance to fly a glider some day, and get some real stick and rudder training. I am so lucky to be able to be flying at this age, and I'd like to think that I know that whatever path lives takes me down, aviation will be a part of it :) Can't wait to hear more stories. Attached below are a couple pictures - one taken while flying at 2500ft midfield over LAX, and the other just after landing!
                                I love your story Sam! Great young man working on his PPL...I am quite sure you will do great on your written, oral and check ride!

Funny how you mention One Six Right. I was just about to ask in this thread if anyone had seen that very film because it is such a wonderful tribute to our collective passion for aviation. If not, here's a glimpse:

Do yourselves a favor and watch it if you haven't. Just underscores why we love aviation like we do.

Sam, the SR20! I've only flown it in FSX! Seems to be a jewel, I can only imagine the real deal. Please keep us posted with your progress and stories!
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I currently own a Cessna 182 with a friend prior to that I owned a different 182, Cessna 172, Piper Tri-Pacer and a Piper Colt.

Back in the 70's I started with Cox control planes. In the late 70's and early 80's I was flying RC planes, at the time my dad was partners in a hobby shop so that was pretty cool. Got to work in it as a kid.

I learned to fly full scale in Aeronca Champ back in the early 80's, I was 15 at the time. Soloed at 16 and got my private at 17. Fast forward to about 2002 and I got my instrument, commercial, multi-engine and flight instructor certificates and ratings.

I gave up flying models for the last 30+ years to spend time with the real planes and raising a family. I was way to darn young when I got married and had kids so that meant I had to give a lot up but flying full scale was not going to be on that list! :)

I've thought about the RC planes off and on for many many years and finally rejoined the local club 2 years ago, it was six months after that that I finally bought a plane. It was June 10th, 2015 (my birthday) and I decided to visit the local hobby shop. I went in intending on buying a plane and that's when I saw the Hobby Zone Corsair, needless to say it left the hobby shop with me along with a new DX6. I though a lot out getting the DX9 but I figured if I didn't like the hobby any more I'd be out less money by purchasing the DX6.

I had a guy in our club do the first two takeoffs and landings while I flew the plane in the air, after that I was flying solo. It really felt good to be flying models again, I didn't realize how much I missed it until I was doing it again.

I bought a DX9 last summer and now have 25 planes in the fleet, I have six to maiden when the weather get's nice. You could say that I am addicted!

I've spent a lot of money with MotonRC over the last two years and really like the company, the service and what it stands for. We have a great local hobby shop that I buy from as well when I want Horizon Hobby products.

One thing I did not like about the hobby was the mess of nitro stuff, I'm so glad that electric places are where they are today. All of my stuff is electric. I've got my sites set on turbines next, once day I will have an F-86 that is turbine powered.

Attached are two pictures of our 182.

Comment

Great stuff dkalwishky! How cool to get your PPL in your teens. With 25 planes in your RC fleet I see you are fully addicted like the rest of us. ;)
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

Welcome to Hobby Squawk Z34! Although I don't have my PPL I can certainly agree about the itch that can't be scratched enough. Aviation is my ultimate passion.

Thank you. Glad to be here and hopefully make some friends as time passes. I also agree aviation is my passion as well.

Comment

Got my Private back in 1987 at Delta State University. Most of my time is in Cardinals of different vintages, as well as a mix of 152's, 172's, 182's, a 210 and a Cozy Mk IV.
                                        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Working...
                                        X