X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Flight Stabilizers

I am fairly new to flight stabilizers with the exception of the Eflite Apprentice 15 e, which is an awesome trainer airplane especially if you have not flown for a while_like in my case. But I recently purchased the Hobby Eagle A3 Super II from Motion RC. Has anybody has had some experience with this device like: Install/setup, flying with it, or any other thing that some of you can share. My radio system is the Spektrum DX8 [Gen 1] and I'll be using the gyro on the Great Plenes Escapade MX electric. Any advice will be appreciate. Thanks.

Hello Flyboy and welcome to the Squawk,

If you haven't already done so, these videos on the product page are a good place to start. ;)

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

The video Ryan does on the product page shows exactly how to install it

Comment

Thank you all... I appreciate your replies. I will start there and get a feel of what is involved. Have any of you guys used this product and if so how has it performed?
        Thanks, Flyboy

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
          Thank you all... I appreciate your replies. I will start there and get a feel of what is involved. Have any of you guys used this product and if so how has it performed?
          Thanks, Flyboy
          I just put this stabilizer in my FMS Pilatus and is the first time I have used a gyro outside one of my planes that had AS3X built-in. The installation was a little tricky but after doing it once it will be easy setting up my next one. Watch the Motion RC videos they have done on installation as they help a lot. I set mine up with one of the 3-way switches on my DX9. I set it up for OFF, Normal and Auto-Level. I set the gains to my rotary knob and did my first flight with gains at 50% I bought the one that came with the program card and that was very easy to use. I have not tried the PC software.. I was shocked at how dialed in this made the plane. I tested it in 10kt winds and my approaches and landings were dead on. It also helped on the takeoff as I stayed perfectly straight with little rudder. I also put the aircraft in an unusual attitude and tested auto-level which also works very well. My first thoughts after several touch and go's were why do I not have one of these in every airplane!! The downside is that you need 2 extra channels and being all of my aircraft are 6 channel that would mean having to upgrade to 8-channel receivers. I only have 2 receivers that are 8-9 channels so I used one of them. I actually just bought a second one a few days ago to use with my 8 channel receiver!

Comment

Thanks Flic _ I am gald it has worked for you... Can't wait to install the device on my G.P. Escapade MX. Flyboy

Comment

Originally posted by Flic View Post

I just put this stabilizer in my FMS Pilatus and is the first time I have used a gyro outside one of my planes that had AS3X built-in. The installation was a little tricky but after doing it once it will be easy setting up my next one. Watch the Motion RC videos they have done on installation as they help a lot. I set mine up with one of the 3-way switches on my DX9. I set it up for OFF, Normal and Auto-Level. I set the gains to my rotary knob and did my first flight with gains at 50% I bought the one that came with the program card and that was very easy to use. I have not tried the PC software.. I was shocked at how dialed in this made the plane. I tested it in 10kt winds and my approaches and landings were dead on. It also helped on the takeoff as I stayed perfectly straight with little rudder. I also put the aircraft in an unusual attitude and tested auto-level which also works very well. My first thoughts after several touch and go's were why do I not have one of these in every airplane!! The downside is that you need 2 extra channels and being all of my aircraft are 6 channel that would mean having to upgrade to 8-channel receivers. I only have 2 receivers that are 8-9 channels so I used one of them. I actually just bought a second one a few days ago to use with my 8 channel receiver!
              You actually don't need the extra channels as you can simply use the A-3L https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-airplane-gyro and not connect the Mode Wire as the Gyro will default to Normal Mode On all the time. The one thing to keep in mind is to be sure you test the Gyro for proper Correction before the first flight and start out at about 25% Gain and then adjust it from there. This will give you the Stabilization you are looking for without the need for an extra channel. The Ailerons will have to be connected via a Y-Harness as you cannot use separate connections like the Super II allows. Welcome aboard!!

Comment

Thanks Flic, and thank you all for your replies. Like I said... can't wait to get this up and running on my Escapade MX_will let all know how it goes. Flyboy1

Comment

My thanks to all for all the help on the previous posts/replies. I had a problem with the HE A3 Super II_It would not communicate with the new Spektrum AR8010T that I purchased form Motion, They were very nice about the whole thing and I was able to return the product for a refund_thanks Motion. I think I am going to buy the Hobby Eagle A3-L to keep things simple because I will only be using the unit for Off mode and stabilization_don't think I'll be using Hover any time soon, but here is my problem. I will be using the Spektrum DX8 [Gen 1] for radio, and the AR610 six channel receiver _ would I be able to use a six channel RX for setting up a two position switch for Gyro off mode and stabilization, the FMode [three position switch for D/R and Expo, and the Knob slider for remote Gain. Problem is that I'll be using this setup on an FMS Sky Trainer [1410mm] that has flaps and two ailerons, which I can set on a Y harness in order to save a port on my receiver. Any help in setting this up I will greatly appreciate.
                  BTW, I did spoke to Michael over at Motion and he mentioned that the glitch for the communication issue with between the AR8010T RX and the A3 Super II could be resolved by simply binding the receiver with he satellite prior to installing the Gyro_maybe that will shed some light to some of you experiencing that problem.
                  Again, I will appreciate any advice from you guys _ Sincerely, Flyboy... Happy Landings.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    My thanks to all for all the help on the previous posts/replies. I had a problem with the HE A3 Super II_It would not communicate with the new Spektrum AR8010T that I purchased form Motion, They were very nice about the whole thing and I was able to return the product for a refund_thanks Motion. I think I am going to buy the Hobby Eagle A3-L to keep things simple because I will only be using the unit for Off mode and stabilization_don't think I'll be using Hover any time soon, but here is my problem. I will be using the Spektrum DX8 [Gen 1] for radio, and the AR610 six channel receiver _ would I be able to use a six channel RX for setting up a two position switch for Gyro off mode and stabilization, the FMode [three position switch for D/R and Expo, and the Knob slider for remote Gain. Problem is that I'll be using this setup on an FMS Sky Trainer [1410mm] that has flaps and two ailerons, which I can set on a Y harness in order to save a port on my receiver. Any help in setting this up I will greatly appreciate.
                    BTW, I did spoke to Michael over at Motion and he mentioned that the glitch for the communication issue with between the AR8010T RX and the A3 Super II could be resolved by simply binding the receiver with he satellite prior to installing the Gyro_maybe that will shed some light to some of you experiencing that problem.
                    Again, I will appreciate any advice from you guys _ Sincerely, Flyboy... Happy Landings.
                    Hello Flyboy,
                    You had me smirkin with your remark about the Sky Trainer having two ailerons. LOL
                    But seriously, most ailerons are Y'd together. 2 separate channel controls of port/starboard ailerons are usually done on higher priced/more sophisticated type airframes and not on a trainer.
                    Since it doesn't have retracts, the gear channel/switch could be used for turning the A3-L on/off and the Aux1 for the flaps(which is standard).
                    No remote gain via the rotary will be avail because you would need another channel to assign that to.
                    Remote gain is not an absolute requirement. Manual adjustment between the 10-12 o'clock should be sufficient.
                    PS......XViper knows quite a bit about the gyro set ups and maybe will chime in if he knows something more than I'm aware of.;)

Good luck,
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks a million, Warbird Charlie, smirking is fine [I am smirking too, now that I think about it]_guess is one of those things that when you have something available, you just have to use it, but thinking about it doesn't make sense to have a dual aileron setup since I already have flaps. I will try using the eight channel Rx [AR8010T] following Motion's advice just to get the knob for gain. Again, great advice_thanks... Happy Landings, Flyboy.

Comment

I use the A3-L and the A3 in several of my planes - some prop planes and some EDFs. Not all planes need a stabilizer. Using remote gain via the rotary knob is a handy thing but if you have more than one plane, you can forget where it needs to be set as not every plane will be the same. Once set, you should never need to change it. Those ones that simple default to ON and pre-set gain take a little more fiddling to get the gain right. Just start off with tiny amounts of gain and increase little by little for each flight till it starts to shimmy at high airspeeds. Slow down immediately, land and back it off a bit. Done.

Comment

Thanks for the tips xviper... just bought the A3 [6 axis] and we'll see how that goes. I am a bit skeptical with all the issues with the Spektrum AR8010 RX, but Motion advised to bind the RX first with the satellite antenna and then connect the A3 or the Super II... don't know whether you have experienced that issue with the new 8010T receiver. Thanks again, Flyboy

Comment

I have not used the 8010T. It's main claim to fame is its built in telemetry. I believe you must also dial in the correct frame rate on the TX so you get the max benefit from it. Also make sure you open up all the telemetry parameters that you want shown on your TX.
                            Binding should be a fairly straight forward thing, however, I've noticed that some RXs are more sensitive to throttle trim when arming the ESC. Make sure your throttle trim on the TX is moved to the lowest position before binding. All new model memories start off with throttle trim in the mid-point - a throw back to when gas engines had to have some throttle to idle.
                            Additionally, when reading the instructions for the A3, you should notice that it has auto-recovery and auto-hover. Make sure you do the calibration properly on the bench and know when and when not to use each when flying. If your plane doesn't have to the power to do a prop stand, auto-hover should be avoided at all costs when too low. Try them at a good height just to see what they do.

Comment

I have Flex Innovations Aura 8 gyros in two Motion RC planes now. First was my F7F Tigercat, and now my Avanti S. At the very windy and rainy Arizona Electric Festival, the Tigercat was beyond stable. It was new to me and I was a bit nervous, but soon I was taking it up every time I could, and I didn't care what the wind was doing. I have only flown the stabilized Avanti S a couple times, but both were again very windy, and the Aura 8 simply takes away any worries.

The "Sport" setup is what I use on them both. Simply means you designate a 3 position switch for how you want to Aura to respond. #1 is Mid Rates with No Gyro. #2 is Mid with a middle Gain setting. #3 is High Rates and High Gain. It is very easy to load this with the Flex Program and is also easy to modify.

I am not a phenomenal pilot by any means, and the gyro just makes me feel more confident in all flight modes. I will continue to put these into anything I really care about. Not to mention anything I want to attempt to fly 3D with.
                              MRC: Avanti S, F7F Tigercat. Eflite: Carbon Z Cub, A-10, P-47, Micro Radian. Flex Innovations: QQ300, Night Cessna 150, HK Night Walrus, Parkzone F-27 Stryker, Micro F-27 Stryker, Night Vapor, Micro Mosquito

Comment

The Aura retails for $140.00, sale for $100.00. That's a little steep for me when an A3-L does the trick for me. I can put one in more planes for that price. At 100 bucks, I would only put them in my very pricey planes I wish not to wreck.

Comment

Working...
                                X