X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-18 Twin 70 mm converted to Freewing power

This is my LX brand F-18 , kit version , which is put together with lots of freewing bits.
    Used F-16V2 EDf 2300 x2 for power and two 100 amp Freewing /hobbywing ESC(80 amp would of been enough but I had these lying around and weight was same as most 80 amp.)

used F-15 Air brake actuator to operate tail hook.

Removed thrust vectoring and folding wing is manually done by hand pulling the strings.
    Added bigger foam wheels for more scale and better handling.

flying weight is 3.2kg

used polycrylic on foam before painting and then again after to help protect and enhance the shine for the blue Angels scheme.
    thrust tubes from
    plastic cups shrouded by Freewing F-16 Exhaust nozzle x2

Looks great Renval8, thanks for sharing! The F-18D/F variant with the two-seater cockpit is one of the best looking modern fighters in my opinion... plus that Blue Angeles scheme, nice work! Also the folding wings and tail hook are such nice scale touches, I love seeing things of that sort out at the field.

Comment

Thx Sam, it's a shame Freewing weren't doing their super scale magic when their F-18 was released. Hopefully they will do another one soon , even a C model twin seater in Blue Angel would be great as a second colour option . One can only hope. The Landing gear and doors are a Challenge with this aircraft ,LX did an reasonably good job , but I'm sure Freewing or FMS could also do it .

Comment

That's really nice, Renval! Beautiful details and finish.

Comment

Hi Renval8, I do not know if you have maidened the plane yet, but be very wary of those leading edge slats!!! I have had the LX Raptor twice. The first one lasted all of thirty seconds, with no signal immediately after liftoff. The second one, I did a high speed pass and I saw the slat fluttering very badly. I reduced the throttle, but the damage had been done. The slat was half way broken loose, and flapping in the breeze. This caused all kinds of havoc on the flight profile of the plane, and I could not get it back under control. I finally just drove it into the ground like a fence post, and washed my hands of LX permanently. The control rods are way to light a gauge of wire for the leading edge of the wing of a high speed jet. I would, at the very least, advise you to put a thicker pushrod on them than what is provided as stock.

Your model looks awesome, and I hope it lasts a very long time for you!!!

Comment

Working...
          X