X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor size

I have a Grey aiirfield Corsair (brandnew believe it or not)1450mm in size using a FMS65amp speed controler and a FMS4 250 580kv motor. Flus lol a rocket but the motor is getting hot The esc is not Should I go to a higher KV or lower? BTW plenty of cooling holes or mayby just a new 580kv whocj the model calls for

IMO, what you should get first is a Watt meter, so you know how close to the current limits the motor and ESC are operating. If you go to a higher Kv, and retain the same prop, the power draw will go up, since the motor will try to turn the prop faster, which takes more power. This could put the ESC at risk of overload, as more power equals more current. I assume you are using the prop that came with it? If so, it is likely OK; the motor can withstand temperatures higher than your fingers can, as long as it doesn't melt the motor mount.. Again, the only way to know is to measure the current and power with a Watt meter. If you find the motor is very close to its maximum, you would need a motor rated for a higher current at a similar Kv.

Comment

Hello Michaelj,
      Totally concur with WintrSol (which we usually do on electrical techy stuff ;))
      Now lets get you up to speed on that set up:
      The 65A ESC is not enough for that 580kV motor.
      FMS 1400 Corsair in stock set up has a 540kV with a 70A ESC.
      Since you have a 580kv in it with most likely the stock 14x8x4 prop your gonna need an 80A ESC (I have one set up this way)
      Lastly, get a power/watt meter..........your best tool for owning electric warbirds.
      180A Watt Meter and Power Analyzer from GT Power - GTP180AWM The GT Power 180A Power Analyzer with backlit display is a "must have" diagnostic tool for the RC enthusiast. This self-powered device allows you to measure power and energy consumption of any device with a battery. Use it to ensure peak currents are safe for

Best Regards,
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
      X