Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3D Printed Airplanes

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Printed Airplanes

So cool what you can do with 3D printers these days...

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I know! Right?! Exactly why I just bought a 3D printer kit. I'm in the process of learning how to use and tweak the settings for the best print quality. But, as soon as I get it dialed in I'll be printing a plane. I'm not sure which one I'd print first. The Cessna looks and flies really well. But, ultimately you know I'll be printing a P-38. :D

There are many other RC related bits and bobs to design and print as well. I've been building balsa models lately and my mind is full of ideas for printing detail parts, and the like. Very exciting times! :D

Comment

No doubt! I will be excited to live vicariously through your progress. Keep us posted!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
        I know! Right?! Exactly why I just bought a 3D printer kit. I'm in the process of learning how to use and tweak the settings for the best print quality. But, as soon as I get it dialed in I'll be printing a plane. I'm not sure which one I'd print first. The Cessna looks and flies really well. But, ultimately you know I'll be printing a P-38. :D

There are many other RC related bits and bobs to design and print as well. I've been building balsa models lately and my mind is full of ideas for printing detail parts, and the like. Very exciting times! :D
        OUHHHH, someone that isn't west coast and in the same state that I can possibly buy printed goodies from ;)
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

OUHHHH, someone that isn't west coast and in the same state that I can possibly buy printed goodies from ;)
          :Cool:

Comment

We have a guy in the club who has printed the Edge and is in the process of printing the Stearman, complete with blue body and yellow wings. So cool to see the finished products in person.

Comment

Has he flown the Edge?

Comment

Hmm.. I wonder if this could be done for a scale heli fuse.. Ideas, ideas... The Seiran looks especially good, and is an extremely cool airplane!

Comment

No reason why it couldn't be done. Just a matter of careful design of the 3D model.

Comment

Will any 3d printer do this? How do I choose the right one, for say an 82" P-38?
                    Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

Has he flown the Edge?
                      He has a pinched nerve in his back and is unable to fly for awhile. So he just started printing planes to pass the time.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBob View Post
                        Will any 3d printer do this? How do I choose the right one, for say an 82" P-38?
                        Of the models that are available now from 3dLabPrint.com you will need a printer with a build volume of 200x200x200 (all in millimeters). Their largest model is around 1400mm wingspan. And, they are printing these on Prusa i3's or a Chinese clone (which is what I have). I'm not sure the currently available home printers would be capable of turning out an 82" model. Unless you're willing to spend a few thousand dollars for a larger more capable machine.

Visit 3DLabPrint and have a look around. There is a wealth of information there.

Ace, I hope he gets feeling better. Pinched nerves are no joke. Let us know when he gets a chance to fly them and what his thoughts are.

Comment

Our guys are building some of these, about 60 hrs of printing on each one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170328_192022_resized.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	494.6 KB
ID:	69628

Name:	20170328_191929_resized.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	704.9 KB
ID:	69629

Name:	20170328_192051_resized.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	857.5 KB
ID:	69630
                          TiredIron Aviation
                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Looks like he has his printer well dialed in. Nice looking print. I haven't seen the P-47 fly. Let us know how he likes it.

Comment

Of the models that are available now from 3dLabPrint.com you will need a printer with a build volume of 200x200x200 (all in millimeters). Their largest model is around 1400mm wingspan. And, they are printing these on Prusa i3's or a Chinese clone (which is what I have). I'm not sure the currently available home printers would be capable of turning out an 82" model. Unless you're willing to spend a few thousand dollars for a larger more capable machine.

Visit 3DLabPrint and have a look around. There is a wealth of information there.

Ace, I hope he gets feeling better. Pinched nerves are no joke. Let us know when he gets a chance to fly them and what his thoughts are.
                              Very cool!!! Maybe I'll cash in my wife's insurance policy and get the top of the line printer!! LOL!!
                              Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

Originally posted by BadBob View Post

Very cool!!! Maybe I'll cash in my wife's insurance policy and get the top of the line printer!! LOL!!
                                LOL Make sure you do the un-boxing with her in the room....

Comment

I have just recently been getting more interested in the printed aircraft designs. My friend Chris has been having great success with his printed aircraft. His B-25 is nearly complete. He invited me over to take a closer look at the process. Here is a brief video with some build highlights. When the weather allows, I hope to record the maiden flight video with some follow up. thx - Den

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

Nice! I haven't started printing mine yet. Looks like a great design.

Comment

There are some other planes available via cults3d.com by independent designers. I have made 2 so far, and there is another individual that has made a few:

Repository of 3D printable designs shared by tahustvedt, designer from Cults, the 3D printing platform.

Repository of 3D printable designs shared by DirtyDee, designer from Cults, the 3D printing platform.

Name:	20191108_234709.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	226340

Name:	3D%20Printed%20A330-300%201.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	226341

Name:	HE-162-92.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	226342

Name:	EL-39-59.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	226343

Name:	Melusine21.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	226344

Name:	Miniherc19.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	226345

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
                                        There are some other planes available via cults3d.com by independent designers. I have made 2 so far, and there is another individual that has made a few:
                                        Those look great! I have been thinking of a U2 for a while, this might be it? The L39 is cool too. Thanks for the links!

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

Working...
                                        X