X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-38 Decals - not too sticky?

I'm amazed at the markings for the P-38, very comprehensive stencil set. But they don't seem to stick too well - am I missing something?

I just place them on the model where indicated, burnish the lettering. then pull away the clear vinyl overlay to leave what looks like a dry transfer stencil. They seem plenty strong, but hardly stick at all.

If I recall correctly, isn't there a clear, thin backing sheet on the side that sticks to the plane? Don't you have to peel that off first? Then stick it on and rub it all down and carefully remove the top backing sheet. Mine seem to have stuck on fine and they're still holding firm.

Comment

I'll attach a few photos of stencil #48.The top layer is clear vinyl, under which are "stencils" that are to be applied, along with a number for guidance regarding where they go. The stencils do not have any backing; I tested this with a couple of pieces of masking tape and unfortunately destroyed that particular stencil (NBD).

Perhaps I should use a little water before applying the stencil?

Comment

I may have gotten my wording a bit mixed up. There is a sandwich layering with the decals. The backing you peel the decal from is NOT clear as I first thought it was. It's white as it shows in your picture. So I was correct when I said you had to peel the backing (white) off the decal, then stick the decal onto the plane, then peel the top backing off. Hence, the decals do have a backing - the white one on which all of them are affixed and the clear one that you peel off once the decal in on the plane.
        Looking at your pictures, mine are the same. I just checked and messed with one of the unused decals. What you're holding with the tweezers has already been lifted off the solid white backing. You then place that part onto the plane and rub it really well. Then you carefully remove the upper backing, leaving the actual decal on the plane. After that you carefully rub the decal again to make sure it's really stuck on the plane. I just tried that with one of my decals on a junk piece of foam from a dead plane and it sticks like crazy. In fact, it's really hard to get it off.
        Now, there is a small possibility that there is some off gassing from your plane's foam (or too much releasing agent from the mould). If the plane has been in the box for some time since manufacture, this residue may cause adhesion problems for your decals. In that case, it may be helpful to use a bit of rubbing alcohol on the area where you intend to place the decal. Allow it to thoroughly dry by evaporation before applying the decal.

Comment

The alcohol is a good idea, xviper, I'll try that to make sure there isn't a film of something interfering with adhesion. And maybe a little heat from a trim iron, if need be. Thanks for confirming how they're supposed to work!

Comment

It seems to me you're doing it right. There's just something different about your situation. Could be the alcohol is the answer or perhaps your decal sheets are a bad batch. Careful with the water. These aren't "water slide" decals so I'd be worried the water might remove what stickem there is. Again, do a test with the iron with an unused decal on a junked plane to see.

Comment

Alcohol didn't have any effect, but heat did the trick. Kept the iron under its midpoint (Coverite, indicates as 205 F), otherwise the cells of the foam would expand. I think it's the batch of stickers I got, that lost their initial tack.

Comment

Could be. Like I said, mine stick like crazy and none of the original applications on the plane have come loose.

Comment

Working...
                X