You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you dislike about building and flying models, and what do you like most.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you dislike about building and flying models, and what do you like most.

The one thing I hate most is repairing a badly damaged model. Personally, I would sooner build a new one. However, I have repaired many in my life and I sometimes do it just for the heck of it. I repairing one now I rescued from the trash. Someone threw it away and I caught it on the way past! I find it interesting to look at the wreckage and to decide the best way to repair it. Wooden models are the most difficult and challenging, but satisfying when they come out right. However, they can be frustrating especially cutting wood and making the new parts fit the old.

The things I love most are the challenges of determining the best way to fit something or make a one off part. I enjoy machining one off parts. I love the anticipation of the first flight and the excitement when the completed model flies well or better than expected. Reflecting on a day flying and the camaraderie with your flying buddies. The learning curve from trying something new or different and the satisfaction of something well done.

I'm sure every one of you can relate to some of the above if not all.

Martin.

I don't mind wrecking an ARF either Balsa or Foam unless it's a high dollar job (couple grand). Most foamies are cheap enough to just buy another. Like you say it's usually not worth the effort to repair. Just save some parts and get a new one. Now, if I spend a bunch of time customizing (ie.fancy paint job) an ARF that burns a bit.
    The best part to me is having a plane I think is really cool and having a lot of fun flying it then taking it home without needing some sort of adjustment or repair. This of course with a bunch of your flying buddies. It's always more fun to share your joy with friends.There is a huge amount of satisfaction of building a model that actually fly's and fly's well.

Comment

Since I don't have any manufacturing/engineering/tooling skill to save my R/C life, I loathe any kind of major repairs or tedious building. My patience is in short supply...Painting and detailing I do enjoy a lot so that's as patient as I get. LOL

I hate waiting for a spare part or parts where I can't fly the model until the parts become available. Again, that patience thing. ;)
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I love to build, build, build and fly every day… I hate having to wait for a plane to be released :)
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I love building and painting models. I have always been a shop kid growing up, and I still love machining those little detail parts and one-off mechanisms. It seems that no matter how many planes that I have in flying condition, I have twice as many "in work" projects. Unfortunately, I've had a lot less time to do that lately, and my little apartment doesn't have nearly the machine shop I'm used to. I certainly love flying them as well, its just that my landings sometimes have a way of creating more projects! LOL

What I don't like is the long, finicky parts of the build or troubleshooting an intermittent item. Things like hinging compound-curved gear doors, or setting up and tuning an FBL Heli, or setting up a gear sequencer to get things perfectly flush. In both cases, these are extremely satisfying when they are done, but I want to pull out my hair sometimes getting them there! :Silly:

Comment

Hey DD hows it coming with the P47. Been hoping to see something posted
            Dewey l

Comment

I enjoy building but everything now is 30 mins and go fly which is nice but I would like a ARF that comes with EVERYTHING in the box . The build time would take a little longer but I would enjoy it more

Bryan
              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Hey Bryan, funny, 'cause I was thinking the same thing. The convenience of a simple build and out to the field is great but doesn't satisfy the creative builder in me either.
                Probably why most of my birds are repaints. The biggest kick I got was with the most involved paint job.
                Would be cool to have a kit that was a bit more build intensive, probably the same with the modder guys, making it better than stock falls into the same category, gives you more build satisfaction.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Watching one of my beautiful Corsairs hit the ground is the worst. The best is seeing those gull winged devils do a dance in the sky. Can you tell i love my Corsairs:)
                  Dewey l

Comment

Originally posted by Dewey H Lee View Post
                    Hey DD hows it coming with the P47. Been hoping to see something posted
                    It's coming along slowly, I have been gluing the nose back together piece by piece. Next up is a new firewall/motor mount.

Comment

Thats great. Goodluck.
                      Dewey l

Comment

I HATE crashing a plane that I spent hours upgrading, painting and detailing. I drive home depressed and then get busy repairing. They never look quite as good after repairs, though. Building, upgrading and painting is my favorite part of this hobby. I love ordering a new plane and anticipating the arrival of that big brown truck. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                          I HATE crashing a plane that I spent hours upgrading, painting and detailing.
                          And this is why I don't like too much building. I like today's PNP with very few glue joints. Screws have made this hobby for me much more enjoyable. I've built a couple of balsa planes and I really don't like them - too fiddly and time consuming. Crashing is always a part of flying models and I'd rather not crash something that took so much time to make and so much more time to repair.
                          Even back in the day of plastic models, I hated painting. Just not my thing.

Comment

What I ABSOLUTELY HATE
                            Is crashing a plane I spent hours and hours applying Flight Metal to............
                            But I did.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

Going through old posts with my new "cheaters". The worst thing about building is - that my eyesight for details up close is fading. The best thing about flying is - that particular type of vision is less important than the orientation vision I have developed with the hobby .

Comment

I hate hard points that do not line up correctly. Often times, I get a model that I cannot line up the screws with the hard points. This is my greatest frustration with the foam models. I can generally fix most other problems.

Comment

I hate to fix crashed prefabricated model for that hurts,things is that I fix them too often that I could almost rebuild them,and I do duplicate them into various size easily in scale for frequently practicing in repair.ha ha.

Comment

I hate when crashes happen that are out of my control. Signal loss, servo failure (lock up, or burn out) esc failure or whatever. I love seeing representations of history flying in the sky once again and knowing I'm in control of that small piece of represented history. I also love fpv. Best though is the people and being able to talk shop, and solve the world's issues as we sit in the pits waiting to fly again :)

Comment

It's been several months since I last posted in this thread and it's not really the answer to the thread question but I think what I like best about this hobby is the people, when we get together for fly-ins and hangars days the fellowship is amazing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	22780492_231279430737333_2392144032413964278_n.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	108773

Name:	19667847_279773495765289_5083759374519124377_o.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	108772

Name:	22712470_311769365899035_8753026334726852272_o.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	108774

Name:	22688389_231279324070677_5585212063158988842_n.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	108775
                                      TiredIron Aviation
                                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Dang George, you're on my bucket list, if only so I can get one of those too cool Tee shirts!!

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X