X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airplane storage idea

Sorry in advance if this ins't the right area to post this but I wanted to get some feedback on an area to store planes. There is sufficient space above my garage door (approx 2-3') where I could simply mount 2x4s with pre-drilled holes for PVC pipe/insulation. With the right utilization of staggering wings, I'd imagine there would be room for 5-7 planes. I see everyone has models for vertical storage, but nothing for horizontal storage. I thought this might be an area to start to keep the planes out of harm's way (better for the wife too; out of sight out of mind). The garage is relatively temperature stable and would serve as easy access to get the planes off the hangers and in the truck. I haven't heard or seen anything quite like this and before I began construction, I wanted to throw this out to the veterans out there so I don't attempt anything foolish....

G'day mate,
    There is no right or wrong to do this unless it damages your models.
    If it works for you I would go for it. A few drawings just to get your concept fully workable and go from there.
    I employ a 'book case' approach were I live but have a flat stack arrangement [similar to what you are thinking, I think??] at my mothers place in the garage.
    I suspended racks from the rafters and simply keep them as open frames so I can slide the models in from any direction. I guess the best way to describe it would be to say hang it like a hammock but with four hanging points.
    I use 2 x 1 pine for the frame and the same for the mounting points. I made the base for the planes in an L bracket system for strength and a good flat base for the models to sit on. So the two inch part is the wide part offered to the models underside. It all screws together.
    Pool noodle foam for padding and all is good.
    Regards and respect
    Daryl

Comment

Working...
    X