Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had Realflight for a number of years. I bought it originally because I was interested in trying a CP helicopter, and wanted to practice on the computer where crashes don't result in real destruction.

I've ended up flying more planes on Realflight than helis, and when I decided last year I wanted a powered glider, I practiced a lot with the Calypso in Realflight before buying one. When I went out to the flying field, I had an instructor standing alongside, but did pretty well, such that I really didn't need an instructor. When I bought the Sensei a few months later, it worked out pretty much the same.

About the biggest difference I've found between the simulator and actual flying, is that the simulator cannot, on a two dimensional screen, really simulate depth perception. I've found it actually easier to get lined up on the runway in real life, than on the simulator.

But for basic flying skills? Trying to develop the skills for more advanced aerobatic moves? The simulator is fantastic. You can learn from your mistakes without having to spend hours repairing the airplane before trying again.

Comment

Well, got frustrated with trying to learn with the Apprentice in the wind and bought a Carbon Z Cub. First time out was, at least to me, a satisfying experience. It felt good to fly straight and make turns with a touch of the fingertips on the transmitter. I won't give up on the Apprentice but think getting the basics and gaining confidence to fly straight, turn, take off and land, will boost my confidence level high enough to spend more time flying w/o an instructor. Right now I only fly with an instructor and that, my friends, is about to change. (Walks away humming a happy tune)

Comment

I had a chance to see the Apprentice at the field, the stock prop is too flimsy and for me it seems to suffer from elevator flutter, and much worst in heavy winds.

Now almost reaching a year of stick time, would say a good trainer needs to be floaty and able to give a fight on windy days, and for that I would say the Tundra on 3S and the classic Bixler 2 (not 3).

Belly landing planes, imo, help me improve a lot contrary to logic. I no longer thought about the wheels but the plane as a whole to be leveled and slow w a good timed flared before touchdown.

My first alone flights were as if it was a line plane. Making it go 360 and I turn it w it all the time, lol. You are on the right track whizzer, keep the flights short, and overall been patient about it.

To me, at least at the beginning, flying has its days, could be stress, lack of sleep, too much coffee, etc, but somedays I fly and man am the champ at the field, other days I just dont have it. Could be burn out from trying too much, and every so often I go to the field and dont fly, just hangout and burn time chatting about whatever, w its weeks of no flying at all and stay w the rc cars for a while.

I have learned to do most of the basic aerobatics w the Bixler; simmerman, cuban 8, rolls, loops, etc, its almost as having a real life simulator so floaty the plane is. Its ideal to fly super low and do inverted flight. Battery reaches 3.70 and I pick up a .61 custom high wing tail dragger airplane, and if am for the mood a Cherokee w a OS .46 LA.

There have been a few crashes along the way, some I regret more than others as certain airplanes I do miss its flying characteristics.

Am glad you are making progress, stick time is the name of the game, there is no way around it.

Comment

Not getting flying time like I should and last week was, for the first time, totally discouraged. I couldn't do one damn thing right. Crashed twice and had to make a wing bracket - the wings are held with a plastic tab which broke off - and make-shift wing struts as the originals broke in the second crash. Ended up getting a Hangar9 Cub landing gear assembly and adapting it to the Carbon Z Cub and with the Dubro tires it lans like it is a pillow.

Anyway, after all the fuss and disappointment, went back again and had a repeat performance of disappointment, crash and simply feeling like I was never going to be successful at flying r/c model planes.

That all changed last Friday when I had few problems and just generally felt as if everything was right no matter what I tried to do. I am looking for a place where I can fly the Carbon Z without houses around and someone telling me to move on. As a member of a flying club I cannot fly at their facility unless accompanied by an instructor and I really need more flying time to get used to the controls. C'est la Vie!!

Comment

Like all things, flying has its ups and downs. I've been flying a lot lately and my landings have been constantly improving. Then today, nothing felt right. Rough landings with my Slowpoke and after some great touch and goes with my Waco, I stalled on a go around, crashed into some high grass and bent a gear axle. As Forest Gump said - "life is like a box of chocolates....."

Comment

Yup, no one is immune to the slip factor. Even world champion caliber pilots. Just pick up and keep flying. I flew 11 more times after my A10 had an unscheduled meeting with the road sign. Crap happens, and the best we can do is get back in the saddle and ride on. Otherwise you will never finish the game.

Comment

Flying is a lot like golf. A ton of people, including me, will never get it totally right. I don't laugh when I see $8000 dollar planes going down in a death spiral, or any planes for that matter. I had a neighbour who was a race car driver. His Dad said to me, "Everyone needs a good crash once in awhile"....Crashing can be an expensive "reference point", but you need it to fortify your abilities....

Comment

Aren't crashes justification to replace the broken plane with a newer, spiffier one?

Comment

You got that right Hoomi. I downed 3 of my favorite aircraft about 6 years ago, but I replaced them with the same ones. Dynam Corsair, P47 and FW190. I had to see them again in the air and they were cheap enough to learn warbird flying. I did learn from my mistakes though....Flying way better now. I'm now into the EDF's....

Comment

Once again, the reason I got a Bixler 2 w no flaps, stock setup on 2200mah, can fly it for almost 20 minutes and a Phoenix 2000.

Its the closest to been on a simulator but at the field.

I use them exactly for those strange "nothing syncs" flying days.

There are a few things I do; mandatory take off at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, once in the air take it two mistakes high, and switch all to low rates, then proceed to fly no more than 1/2 throttle.

No aerobatics, simple figure eights, flight line approach ccw and cw, practice a nice easy pass and barely accelerate about 1/2, smooth on the controls at all times, let the plane fly, do not over correct. If possible and available, adjust the sticks to less resistance, most transmitters the sticks are too tight and tend to snap making the craft erratic.

If need be, go every now and then to the field w no plane, bring some donuts, cup cakes and a chair. Just watch others fly, hang out. I do that once a month at least and check how some of them practice. They line up, and tend to fly in formation.

That Bixler I fly approach and away, easy, no stress, if need be I bring it down and relax, put some music in the car and again to fly. Some days I bring an airplane to the field and just hangout and dont fly at all, not sure how you are but I am a visual learner, besides hands on.

May sound crazy, but on the simulator, I put sunglasses and set the sunlight for evening light, helps me get use to fly the plane as a silhoutte rather than seeing the plane. Watch YT videos of flying planes and mentally follow what are the control inputs.

The above advice may as it may not work, it does have helped me, good luck.

Comment

I've recently started instructing two new members and have found it very rewarding personally.
                        Both were absolute newbies and having been there myself not too long ago, I'm finding it a lot of fun to go through the motions of learning again. The Pandoras haven't been up this much in a long time. Last weekend, I got out there earlier than they did and took P-1 up and flew circuits, just to practice the placement of the aircraft and to ensure that it was doing what I wanted it to do and not the other way around!!
                        One of the fellows has an Apprentice which he's flying on Primary, the other has a Pandora in high wing tail dragger config. The Apprentice, of course is the easier bird to fly at this stage, so I have him to the point that he can take off and land and fly a reasonably good pattern, in Primary, which we all know there is no way you can crash in Primary. It's great for building confidence and you can switch to intermediate and try it but if its too much, you can switch back.
                        Anyway, the other fellow with the Pandora is struggling a bit, he has an Admiral receiver with the built in gyro so I did some homework on them to make sure it's set up properly. I have to admit, it looks like a pretty cool receiver, have to pick up one and try it myself. Anyway, instead of having him crash and burn (which is what I did in P-1, I pointed that out to both of them and showed them the burn marks inside the plane, its a great way to say, "I've been there and here's the proof") I have P-2 set up for buddy boxing. Now, in all fairness, when flying anything else but an Apprentice or Apprentice-like airplane, you have to learn the bank/neutral/ pull right off the bat, so it's a little more difficult for him, but more realistic as a trade off, eventually, the 'training wheels' will come off for the other guy as well. Now, I've noticed that they both had the difficulty in finding the neutral after banking, resulting in the spiral of death for a newbie, how do I know??
                        About an hour searching for P-2 after doing such a maneuver.....
                        Anyway, progress is being made and both are really getting the hang of it, it won't be long....
                        The fellow with the Apprentice can take off quite well, I had to teach him what I term as the 3 second rule, advance your throttle smoothly so that it's full in three seconds, works great with the Apprentice.
                        Then, I got him to make a game out of turning over the landmarks to line up with the runway. Then got him flying the circuits a little lower and as he was so into getting it right down the runway, he didn't notice the change in altitude. I casually told him to chop the throttle and do everything else the same, keep the wings level and he made his first landing before he realized it, it was cool and he was thrilled. Did it three more times and asked me if I thought he could come out on his own during the week, I felt so great in telling him to go for it.

Now, I have to get him out of primary and the second student taking off and landing.
                        It's challenging but so rewarding as well. I believe it's making me a better pilot as well.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

AH YES...........
                          A good blend of :Silly::Thinking::Ligthbulb::Cool:
                          Thanx for the good times Ryan n Mike ;)
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Ah yes I kinda miss the garage door background and you flying at the park dodging the light poles on the parking lot.

Comment

Ahh those were the days! I still watch the blooper montage every once in a while, its great, should do more of those for the fun of it.
                              BTW, rockin' with the live podcasts Ryan, are you going to schedule these so we can tune in live or is it a hit and miss kind of thing??

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

12 to 15mph, was at the field to break-in a new Magnum XL .91 for my P51 Mustang, and took the ol' faithful Bixler 2 in stock trim, whimpy motor, as well, no gyro.

The deal was to keep it airborne in the same spot on such conditions, and because it was so windy it barely moved forward so had it flying it toward me all the time. A complete handful, flying and correcting w plane movements backwards, visually the plane moving to the right is left etc. Bring it to me, bank, loop around and do it all over again. It was good training.

Got bored, the poor wings stood the test of rolls, loops, half cuban 8s, stalls, inverted flying, laughing on how it just kept along w the program. One 2600mah gave almkst 25 min of flying. Kill power and it would glide down using the wind and altitude. To land it,keep power on the prop, and bring it down belly to grass.

This plane is the perfect trainer;

On no wind days, its very forgiving, will auto correct, same w stall situations, let go of sticks and the plane levels the wings itself.

Will do most maneuvers, strong enough to fly on 12 to 15 mile winds. Teaches the novice to not resort to power, but use wind and altitude to move along the sky. Its not too fast, will fly forever on one battery and has very wide envelope.

I got the Gee Bee w a .52 Surpass and Hangar 9 Mustang P51 w a ASP .52 on a Tower Hobbies pipe (the discontinued trainer model PTS) but on days like this, the Bixler 2 is the go to plane. Just getting some stick time, its the closest thing to a simulator but at the field. I have been tempted to slap in a brushless from my parts bin, no need, ifs perfect the way it is w the weak motor it has on a 20amp esc, and 8 dollar lemon rx receiver, Ebay aileron servos (the only thing I replaced).

And if some day you get the fpv bug, just go to YT and there are tons of videos on all kinds of setups.

good luck
                                Attached Files

Comment

Learning to fly the SAFE way!!!! Just a reminder to ALL of the dangers of bad habits. 3 yrs ago I was flying my older fms F-4U up graded with a 6s motor and turning a 17” prop. After hook up and binding i carried the plane from underneath with the prop facing me. Carrying my radio in the left hand I brushed my leg on throttle instantly wop. In a nanosecond the downward torque caused the prop to slice thru my arm at the elbow. Before I even had a chance to register what had happened arterial blood was literally pumping out. An ambulance ride to the level one trauma center and 3-1/2 hrs of surgery to repair the severed artery, nerves and muscle.

Mistake #1— Not enabling throttle safety shut off

Mistake #2– flying alone on a blocked off new construction road. Had to hike out 1/4 mike to main rd for help, all the way leaving a trail of blood. Never in my life had I been so scared knowing if I passed out that would be it!!!

Mistake #3– putting myself / limbs in front of a hot prop

I will carry the permanent scars and the numbness on my forearm from the damaged sensory nerves. Luckily my motor nerves were all repaired successfully gaining full ise of arm/hand/fingers.

I waited until a significant injury to be aware and change my learned Bad habits. DONT let this happen to you!!!!!
                                  Safety always FIRST!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                  X