X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to fly the right way...

Everyone, so true the recommendations to find a local rc flight club and go from there.

You guys spoke and I followed up by bringing the plane to field. There was no rc flight simulator that can compare to the real deal. Hooked the controller to the buddy box, instructor took me through the paces, took off the plane, some trimming of the controllers and next thing I know I was flying it.

It sure was awesome, few times I lost orientation, and the wind did pick up suddenly, where the trainer switch proved invaluable.

Honestly, the best thing I did was have an instructor help me. I was freaked out been labeled a noob, and to my surprise everyone in the field was super friendly and all the time encouraging me I was going to be fine. The instructor did the take off and landing and one or two saves when the wind pushed the plane making it bank way too much. The plane shut off the first time, and he glided it safely to landing, but 90% of the flying was done by me.

As someone new to this hobby, thanks for all your advise, and to those new, some may be able to make it on their own, but to all others be patient a d visit local field. It sure saved me lots of headache, from crashing the plane. Flew it twice, and cant wait til next week. The plane I got is a Fun Fly which is more twitchy and not a real trainer as it does not float, cruise, it flies where its pointed at. Need to work on the sticks smoothness and not tap them, which it almost got the instructor running out of patient seeing me do the tapping again and again. They are bad habits from pistol grip rc cars which I tap movements than stay with the flow of them.

** mine is the blue gold Fun Fly which is not the best plane to start with. They said I did very well for my first flight, most only do 20% while I did 90%.

That is awesome to hear, sounds like a good club :)
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

That's Fantastic !!! Nothing like the feeling of your first flight . The shaking hands and racing heartbeat , man I love it . You have gone about it the right way by having some one to help and guide you . I was never that lucky the closest field was a hour away so I do all of my flying at the local high school . I crashed LOTS learning on my own .

I know you are counting the days and minutes til your loaded up in the car heading that way !!!

Bryan
      But Crashing is Landing

Comment

The most frustrating part is I need to coordinate when they are going to the field and have the time to train. Some have their tuning or social flying days which I understand.

This is all new to me, and heard from the club they have a trainer plane for anyone to use. As long as I pay the club membership I should be all set. As much as I have the itch to fly I need to be patience and work around their schedule.

On the meantime I purchased a clone like of the Twister hobbies airplane through Value Hobby, the high wing one for 30 on the kit, add electronics and shipping came out to 80 or so.

And of course, got my AMA license, which is a must have to fly on the field plus the club membership.

Comment

Comment

G'day crankenstein,
            Welcome and congratulations on what is a job well done.
            I instruct at my club so I will give you an instructors view of what we expect.
            I attempt to give my new pilots [student] at least two flights a day but I do insist on flying at least one of my planes first. Not because I do not want you to fly but because I have to get my eye in for the day as well.
            I find instructing as hard as flying my own, if not harder, as I am flying with the student as well and looking for the issues that the student has not noticed yet.
            As a routine, I get my students to do the once over of the controls for every flight and I have been sneaky enough to reverse a servo, or two, just to see if my student is paying attention. It is not good enough to go, wiggle, wiggle, yep she's right.
            Do this EVERY flight.
            If you have ailerons.......repeat after me.....
            Right stick..right [aileron] up
            Left stick..left [aileron] up
            Then it is the same for all models [basically]
            Rudder left, right [and make sure the rudder goes left, right]
            Elevators up, down [and make sure....]

If you have flaps [as you go on further] check them and then the throttle with someone else holding the machine.
            On an electric, the throttle is last on my list because, if the throttle does not work, well, the model goes nowhere!

A lot of pilots use this saying and I hope the mods cut me a bit of slack here...
            Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch. Making the sign of the cross and then add 'Amen' as they move the rudder pedals left and right.
            Free and CORRECT movement of the flight controls.
            You will see over the years how many experienced pilots get caught with reversed servos after making repairs or swapping out a damaged servo because they assume that everything is the same. Look at the way assume is spelled. Assuming.....makes an ass out of you and me. ass u me.;)

One thing I will stress to you, never get talked into flying if you think the conditions are above your experience level.
            If you have a pilot who tells you, 'if you do not fly in the wind, you will never fly!' Thank him and ignore him. As your experience level comes up, so will your ability to fly in heavier conditions.
            Even though I think that my club is one of the best group of blokes that I have ever had the pleasure of being around, we still a couple of GOF's. [Gurus Of flight] These men will happily tell what to do and yet they are responsible for more wrecked models then the rest of the club put together. Because? They let ambition outweigh ability.
            It sounds like you have a good club to deal with, I must say. Just remember my words.
            And it also sounds like you had a ball.
            Remember, ask questions and plenty of them.
            We instructors sometimes talk the 'jargon' and forget that we are talking to newcomers. If you do not understand, do not pretend that you do. :Thinking:That is bad for both you and the instructor. Bad for you because the instructor thinks you understood him and bad for the instructor because you have no idea what on earth was said. That is when planes go 'splat'.
            The main thing is to have fun because that is why we fly!:Cool:
            Regards and respect
            Daryl
            PS, it does not hurt to buy your instructor a drink later!

Comment

Had my first crash today. My fault, flew it alone and experienced dead sticks. It happened a little too far for me, and did not have enough wind to bring it back.

I panicked a little a decided just to keep it in its course against the wind. It lost altitude and farther it went. I was unable to view well, so my instinct was to make the airplane gain altitude when getting close tp the soy field. I flew it fine earlier in the evening and was able to land it well.

Here are the photos...

Comment

Put everything back, its a trainer and so far I am making progress, a few humps, but doing good.

Did my second flight, solo at the field... full tank, perfect landing. Getting used to flying w wind, makes it so much easier for landing and nice hovering.

For a plane that has gone through a lot i so little is a champ. I dont care how it looks, it flies, I am learning.
                I find it more difficult the take off than the landing.

Got rid off the front wheel, moved the landing gear right below the front of the wing similar to a c-cub. Put bigger tires, and the landing gear is a different one, higher and wider stance, much easier to land.

I have been watching maiden flights on Youtube and visualizing what is done w the controller. Viewing when the plane is far away, and knowing which way it is going. The sim is not the same, watching actual videos makes it easier to learn, grab my controllerand pretend its me flying it, and videos that dont have zoom.

Comment

Have been going to the field, practiced a lot of descent and ascend the airplane in one continuous oval circuit, lining up the plane to the field and control throttle to maintain altitude, and not elevator.

The best thing to do if learning to fly is enroll in a club, be patient but persistent at the same time. The most difficult thing is to recognize what is the airplane doing when is becomes a silhouette in the sky. Depending on the light, and color of the plane one has to be aware if to fly against white or blue canvas. Did my first few loops and rolls, and landing, of course with the buddy box.

The guys in the field take turns as to not make it one person only helping as an instructor. It has been a little overwhelming, because everyone wants to help and at times is too much information at once. I would say I have about 15 tanks of flight time, and as the days passed by I get much better in getting a feel for the wind and surroundings. Have had the opportunity to fly one electric, a trainer with a .61, and the ones that are mine, so easily 4 airplanes. A gentleman passed by the field and gave away a trainer, so perfect timing.

Comment

G'day crankestein,
                    I like your attitude towards flying and it will serve you well.
                    Getting instruction from different instructors is something that I fully endorse and encourage.
                    It has two major benefits. One, you are not reliant on the one instructor turning up to the field and two, you do not wear out your welcome.:)
                    Seriously, one of my students would greet me at my car before I had a chance to even open the door with, 'I am ready!' Great to be keen but it is nice to let the instructor have a flight first.;)
                    Perhaps this has been relayed to you but one very simple trick for orientation is this. If you are trying to figure out if the model is coming or going, simply turn right.
                    If the model turns to your right it is going away from you, if it turns to your left it is coming home.
                    Sometimes the orientation of the sun [ie. behind the model or shinning bright through high, thin cloud] will render any paint scheme black. Keep the model in closer than normal if this is the case.
                    I suggest to any learner, that you do not rely on you memory and write down as much info as you can remember. Keep a log of what you are doing. And ask yourself...what did I learn today and write down the answer. It works, trust me.
                    Every single one of us has been in the position of our first flight, first loop, first take off....you get it.
                    I know that the blokes here on HS like to help. As you know, you are getting a lot of information. Take your time to sort through all of this and use what suits you and store the rest for later. All information is valuable.
                    Sounds like you have a good bunch of pilots helping you. You will be fine!
                    If you ever come down under, we will have to have a fly.
                    Regards and respect
                    Daryl

Comment

7 solo take offs and landings so far, 4 of them in 10mph winds.

The simulator does help, Real Flight 7.5 and Phoenix RC 5.5... its definitely true, the same mistakes I make on the computer, reflected at the club. I had practiced landing on gusty conditions and it did pay off, the trainer behaved exactly as in the simulator.

Flying the airplane w a OS .40 Max FP, 10% nitro, medium plug, smooth idle and transition to wot is consistent, no blank spots.

I highly recommend to join a club, be patient, humble and must work your training around their schedule. Bring refreshments, snacks to the field, if need be break out the weed eater or a simple trash bag to pick up stuff. Give them their space every once in a while, resist the temptation of someone troubleshooting all the time, dont hug a station if not flying right away or if there are other members senior to you waiting, respect and gratitude goes a long way.

Its an amazing club, 110% support.

Attached are pictures of the trainer. I was there at the field after crashing my first trainer and a gentleman stops by saying he is giving away sn airplane been storage forever and he wants to clean up some. It was three of us; so if it was a war plane it belonged to this guy, if a c-cub this other guy, if a trainer its mine. The guy pulled over half hour later with the Hobbico Super Star, rear broken wing (easy fix) and no controller but w all electronics on the plane. The engine starts w the stick usually on the 1st or 2nd try, excellent compression.

Comment

Congrats, crankestein!!!!
                        'If you can't fly in wind, you'll never fly" is so true...but, ease into it. Flying in wind can be great fun. Before long, you don't even think about it. Doc

Comment

Thanks DoctorMike, its been an enjoyable learning experience so far. The other best thing besides joining a club and having a simulator, is to use castor oil in the CoolPower nitro fuel, 3 ounces per gallon.

Have moved along to a low wing trainer, a Cherokee, w a .46 OS LA. Its not new, put a new fuel tank, lines, taped up w 3M certain sections of the wing, more aggressive epa w no special features using a basic Tactic 2.4 radio. Somehow, its easier to land the low wing than the top wing trainer. No ballooning, I have to fly it, no more assistance or forgiving airplane.

Currently flying inverted at least one mistake high until I have the elevator and aileron dialed when upside down, always rollout. Bought a Kaos, but still in the box, and once again, all wrinkled. Working with Tower Hobbies about some possible solution, partial refund, replacement, credit, lets see how it goes.

Comment

G'day crankenstein,
                            I wish I had fifty students like you. My job would be so easy.
                            Have not been getting a lot of stick time myself because of work but my roster has gone back to normal, so I will be back into it next week.
                            Although I seriously think that I would not have been flying today even if work was not the issue..It was minus 2.5* C at the field this morning. There was plenty of frost around and it was even colder at work at minus 4. And I have to ride quad bikes in my job and it gets cold very quickly.
                            It sounds like you have a fantastic bunch for club mates and that makes learning a lot of fun and so much better with some 'scoring' from the pits.
                            Keep on doing what you are doing and you will be fine.
                            Regards and respect
                            Daryl

Comment

I have been flying all kinds of RC models, IC and electric, mostly balsa and ply built-up scale models since the 60'. I dislike repairing landing gear and wing tip damage from "difficult" landings in windy conditions. I fly near the beach in Costa Mesa, CA. when winds exceed10 mph, toward noon I pack up and go home. Owner's manuals for light planes discourage flying in moderate to heavy crosswinds/gusty conditions unless pilot has necessary training/experience.

Comment

Wow, time does fly by.

Almost forgot about this thread, lol... I still have the Cherokee, changed to a better radio Futaba system and reinforced the front wheel as it tended to fall out at flight. Have to fix the rudder wing, besides that, flies amazing. Its all scuffed taped up, w its rubber bands is a good trainer am not ashamed of flying.

The trainer no longer has a .40FP, but a TT .46, so little by little am getting better on my reaction time.

I fly every now and then a P51 Mustang w a 46, and also am not ashamed to enjoy flying a Bixler 2, nothing cooler than to go fast and low, bank it side to side like a pendulum, looks real nice against a sunset. On the Bixler next is to install lights.

Tend to fly inverted better to the left than right, so this is the plan for 2018, polish on inverted and hammerheads to the right, left I do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by crankestein View Post
                                  Wow, time does fly by.

Almost forgot about this thread, lol... I still have the Cherokee, changed to a better radio Futaba system and reinforced the front wheel as it tended to fall out at flight. Have to fix the rudder wing, besides that, flies amazing. Its all scuffed taped up, w its rubber bands is a good trainer am not ashamed of flying.

The trainer no longer has a .40FP, but a TT .46, so little by little am getting better on my reaction time.

I fly every now and then a P51 Mustang w a 46, and also am not ashamed to enjoy flying a Bixler 2, nothing cooler than to go fast and low, bank it side to side like a pendulum, looks real nice against a sunset. On the Bixler next is to install lights.

Tend to fly inverted better to the left than right, so this is the plan for 2018, polish on inverted and hammerheads to the right, left I do fine.
                                  Congrats on learning to do things the right way! That makes al the difference in the world!! Keep at it and if you get a chance to teach people to fly it actually helps you as well..

I struggled with this hobby for several years before I got really good at it. It was getting an instructor with a buddy box that changed it all for me! As soon as I had the help I needed it took off from there! I soon surpassed my instructor. I then went on to teach people how to fly the right way as well! I have taught way to many people to count how to fly. Each person I teach actually helps me get better too!
                                  Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

HOWDY! I'm new at this and was fascinated by the first post as if I didn't know better would have sworn it was me who posted it. What I am surprised about is that Crankestein flew alone after three days. Maybe I'm to cautious but without trying to offer excuses, must add, here is sunny Florida, we have had daily winds of nine to twenty m.p.h. making if difficult to learn with an Apprentice S. I've had five lessons, each approximately six minutes in length, and brought the plane home in one piece, thanks to the instructor. Had to repaint it day-glo red on top of wings and Caterpillar excavator yellow under the wing and bottom portion of fuselage for visibility against the Florida sky. That helped, but think my days of flying alone are still a ways away but thankfully, after joining a local club, find everyone is helpful, few offer advice unless asked, and there is a regular schedule for instruction. The instructor did suggest getting a larger and heavier plane to combat the wind conditions but in my mind I figure if I can learn to fly in the conditions that exist, it will make me a better flier, later.
                                    FWIW, glad I found this website. Truly enjoy the banter and comments. Of course, at my age it is good to hear any banter and commentary. ;> ))

Comment

I'm with you Whizzer. At 72, I sometimes ponder if I'll have enough time to become a good pilot. I finished training with my instructor and thanks to his help and others at my club, I'm reasonably competent at flying my Apprentice in most conditions. Given that my time horizon is not unlimited, I unfortunately waste a lot of time thinking about and researching my next plane as well as warbirds and jets when I should be concentrating on improving my skills with the Apprentice. Ahh- the vicissitudes of age.

Comment

ICM keep the sugar and sodium intake at bay and you should be fine.
                                        My grandma used to tell me the same thing and she is going to be 98 this yr.

Me to waste too much time on checking rc jets and crazy enough have been contemplating hand gliding, it sure most be exhilarating to fly through the clouds. But thats me just dreaming a little, I dont have the stomach for such ventures, if mostly, the intestines, lol...

I check many YT hand gliding videos and am so tempted to put my two cents, late flare, too fast or incorrect approach, possible stall, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                        X