X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha,

Another aspect I’ve wondered about is how Freewing and Motion RC decide upon the spare parts necessary for a new model.

-Without knowing the popularity of a new model that is in production, how does Freewing and Motion RC accurately estimate the amount of necessary spare parts to stock in your warehouse at any given period? It makes sense that a vendor would not want to be sitting on too much inventory at a given time, yet want enough to ensure enough customers have what they need if and when they need. Do you use previous data on other models to make an educated guess on spare part stock needed, etc.?

-How does Freewing and Motion RC decide upon which spare parts will be separate from others on a given piece of the model? Every little piece cannot be (or maybe should not be, ha-ha) sold separately with hundreds (I believe you said there were over 600 pieces on the F-4, or another model) of parts on one RC model, and it wouldn’t be ideal to pay for packaging for each part, provide it with a part number, etc.

-How long after a plane is officially discontinued that spare parts are still manufactured before production on parts ceases?

I missing many other questions within the topic and line of thought, but you get the idea :Cool:. Thanks!

Comment

• Hi T-Cat, that's probably digging too deeply into the business side, which I can't discuss publicly. Suffice to say, we've done this for several years now, so we have very reliable data for trends and rates that inform our spare parts purchasing algorithms.

We generally endeavor to stock spares for at least a year or so after a model is discocontinued. A lot of that depends on the supplier, and we coordinate with them and let our preferences be known.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks Alpha! Sorry about that.

Comment

• Hi Alpha,

Since you're answering various questions from us guys on the forums, if you can answer them, mind answering a few of mine assuming they won't disclose anything?

What is the typical engineering process for the models (airfoil selection, duct designing, fan selection, etc) that happens with these models, especially the scale ones that have airfoils for supersonic flight that would not work scaled down for our models?

How many iterations does it take on average to get a model both flight-worthy and production worthy, of course I assume that depends on the complexity of the model as well?

And lastly, are there any models that would be seen as engineering challenges (such as the harrier or F-35B) that you think could be doable as a mass-produced model, or is the technology not there yet?

Thanks!

One more thing, in the F-4 promo video, what song did you use? It's similar to "Epic Flight" from Immersion Music both chord-progression wise and themes but at the same different enough. Maybe you could direct me to the source of the music you use so I can get some options to perform in my symphonic orchestra?

Comment

• I wonder if Flightline is ever going to come out with anymore World War 2 fighter planes.
            i wish they would make a 1600 mm corsair with sturdy landing gear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot

Hey Charlie, check out post #85 on the link, Would that work on your Bronco if they ever do make it?
              You betchya ;) When I saw Alpha post that earlier this afternoon I thought "how :Cool:that would look on a :ov10" LOL
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Those look a little small, the Bronco will hopefully require scaled up versions!;)
                How about printing the 106mm recoilless rifle?
                And while your printing you better make the cool 20mm cannon!:Drooling:

Comment

• Now you're talking ;) Put that badboy to work over there where the terrorists conspire and plow the road :Straight-Face:
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Let me start by saying I love MRC and FW! I have a bunch of FW planes and quite a few other brands purchased through MRC instead of HH or FMS because I like their customer service better. Right now, I think it is fair to say FW and FMS are leading the pack in the EDF market and are leaps ahead of anyone else. Which brand I like better truly varies from one plane to the next. I preferred the FW F16 and FW Hawk over the FMS ones so I own those. BUT, I liked the FMS 90mm Super Scorpion better than the FW 80mm one, so I got it. Both are making some killer edfs but if it is close between two planes, the scales tip towards MRC due to incredible customer service.

With all that said, I think FW is missing a pretty big EDF market right now and that is the high performance 70mm sport jet. FMS has their 70mm Avanti and the 70mm Viper. Now E-flite even has their rebranded Viper on the market as well. Both the 70mm Viper and 70mm Avanti are affordable and fly great! They are great little jets and there are so many great 6s 70mm fan/motor combinations out there right now at AFFORDABLE prices! Now, I know FW has the Rebel, I own one. But, it is on its second 6s setup because I found the stock setup to not have enough power. Right now, it is on a XRP 13bl/2200kv setup and man it is a blast. So, my question is this... when the FW 90mm Stinger came out, they cornered that part of the sport jet market and people loved the big Stinger. Then the 80mm Avanti came along and it has been a huge success and they are killing that market as well. So, why no 6s 70mm sport jet? It seems (to me at least) it is the only edf market MRC/FW is not competitive in. Personally, I LOVE the Rebel airframe. I vote for a high performance version of the rebel with a new 6s power system and a new paint scheme. But, maybe a stinger 70? Something else?

Sorry for rambling... I am just a sport jet fan (along with scale as well) and think the 70mm market is really a great one with the more affordable components. Hope to see FW dominate that market soon too!!

Alpha, if you're reading this, I would love to hear your opinions on this part of the market and if MRC/FW plans to enter it soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post
                      Let me start by saying I love MRC and FW! I have a bunch of FW planes and quite a few other brands purchased through MRC instead of HH or FMS because I like their customer service better. Right now, I think it is fair to say FW and FMS are leading the pack in the EDF market and are leaps ahead of anyone else. Which brand I like better truly varies from one plane to the next. I preferred the FW F16 and FW Hawk over the FMS ones so I own those. BUT, I liked the FMS 90mm Super Scorpion better than the FW 80mm one, so I got it. Both are making some killer edfs but if it is close between two planes, the scales tip towards MRC due to incredible customer service.

With all that said, I think FW is missing a pretty big EDF market right now and that is the high performance 70mm sport jet. FMS has their 70mm Avanti and the 70mm Viper. Now E-flite even has their rebranded Viper on the market as well. Both the 70mm Viper and 70mm Avanti are affordable and fly great! They are great little jets and there are so many great 6s 70mm fan/motor combinations out there right now at AFFORDABLE prices! Now, I know FW has the Rebel, I own one. But, it is on its second 6s setup because I found the stock setup to not have enough power. Right now, it is on a XRP 13bl/2200kv setup and man it is a blast. So, my question is this... when the FW 90mm Stinger came out, they cornered that part of the sport jet market and people loved the big Stinger. Then the 80mm Avanti came along and it has been a huge success and they are killing that market as well. So, why no 6s 70mm sport jet? It seems (to me at least) it is the only edf market MRC/FW is not competitive in. Personally, I LOVE the Rebel airframe. I vote for a high performance version of the rebel with a new 6s power system and a new paint scheme. But, maybe a stinger 70? Something else?

Sorry for rambling... I am just a sport jet fan (along with scale as well) and think the 70mm market is really a great one with the more affordable components. Hope to see FW dominate that market soon too!!

Alpha, if you're reading this, I would love to hear your opinions on this part of the market and if MRC/FW plans to enter it soon.
                      Spot on in my opinion as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post

Spot on in my opinion as well!
                        No offense, but I have no use for another 70mm Jet. Be it sport or scale. Just too lite and small. I’m lucky enough to fly on a field with a 600 foot petromat runway. So the bigger the better...90mm-105mm-120mm....bring them on.

Comment

• I cant use big crap either. Too much money and takes up way too much space that I dont have.

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                            I cant use big crap either. Too much money and takes up way too much space that I dont have.
                            Why is it crap if you can't use it :PLOL
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Why is it crap if you can't use it :PLOL
                              Thing, Item, Object, Product, Model, Stuff, & Crap. I really don't think he meant it in a derogatory way. LOL I was on some web sight a few days ago, and was shocked to see someone made a really beautiful P-22 Ryan ARF. Man really wanted to pull the trigger on that one. Then realized under the spec.s it had a 10 Foot wing span. I was still interested, my uncle restored one of those, and it was almost exactly like that ARF. Then I noticed it was sold out. : (. Point being I really didn't have anywhere to keep such a model. Would have loved to had that one. I'm not saying large models are bad or anything, for the most part I simply don't have room for them.

Woody

Comment

• I know RM wasn't being derogatory.............was bustin his jewels;)
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by lmramos44 View Post

No offense, but I have no use for another 70mm Jet. Be it sport or scale. Just too lite and small. I’m lucky enough to fly on a field with a 600 foot petromat runway. So the bigger the better...90mm-105mm-120mm....bring them on.
                                  I agree but I did buy the ME 262 but other than that, just not interested in anything in a single 70mm, bring on the big boys.........:)

Comment

• Originally posted by lmramos44 View Post

I'm not saying it is for everyone. Just like your 90-120mm isn't for everyone. What I am saying is it is a pretty big edf market right now and I am curious why MRC/FW isn't competing in it. I, personally, cap my stuff at 90mm due to cost and flying site. So 70-90mm is my range on edfs. 70's have become fun for me because of some of the newer designed fans out there and the power/speed we are able to get out of these smaller sized fan setups.

Comment

• I like that they release models in different sizes. Sometimes I just have time for a quick "throw it in the trunk and toss it day." Sometimes, I like to get out the lawn chairs, pack a lunch, and spend the day with the big A-10 and my 1/3 scale glider. So I keep those 70 mm and 80 mm twins coming, and throw in some 1300mm wingspan props too. But don't forget to toss in an occasional 2m super scale also. If I had the money and the room, I would sign up for the "plane of the month club" with MotionRC. So when a new model comes out, they just ship it to me. Credit card on file!

Comment

Working...
                                      X