Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SR-71 video from Banana Hobby is annoying. Flashing the business logo every 5 to 10 seconds only succeeded in making me stop watching it.

Yeah, I know it's Banana Hobby. If I'm too stupid to remember that without a reminder several times every minute, I'm certainly too stupid to consider flying EDF jets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
      I should ping a friend I went to high school with - his Dad was a Habu pilot. I think his dad is still alive, and it would be interesting to get his perspective on what the real plane was like to fly.
      Now getting a Habu pilot in Hobby Squawk to tell some stories would win you one giant gold star my friend! :Cool::Cool:

My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by AirHead View Post

Yes, I do realize that is true. Like all promotional pilots, they make it look easy. It really is like flying a broomstick. Small wing area and lots of juice needed to keep her afloat. The turbine versions you might see on YouTube are proper size and highly powered pro models. I guess it does need a pro pilot to land that bird. Can't imagine what the real one was like to land....Obviously, a big Freewing model properly designed, balanced and tested could yield a plane that many could handle. Except for the threat of "gatoring" in the hot sun....
        How many times do I have to say this? How do you get an SR-71 that won't "gator"? Build a A-10 Oxcart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post
          How many times do I have to say this? How do you get an SR-71 that won't "gator"? Build a A-10 Oxcart.
          The LX SR-71 is black and has never gatored once. And I have had 13 of them.
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

It might be because it's EPS foam where MRC's planes are EPO. What the difference really is, I don't know, not that in depth on the matter. I just build them and cras...fly them.:Cool:

Comment

• Now that you mention it, mine never gatored either, even though it was in the sun only 4 times. My other dark planes gatored after one session in the sun.

Comment

It might be because it's EPS foam where MRC's planes are EPO.
                Yep that's true and absolutely likely the difference.
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Yes master you and I have taken the same road to get here..........

Comment

Yep that's true and absolutely likely the difference.
                    It might also explain the reason people had airframes break so much. Maybe EPS isn't as flexible. But there's only one way to find out, and that would be fore MRC to make the Oxcart.

Comment

• Originally posted by lmramos44 View Post

Yes master you and I have taken the same road to get here..........
                      LOL well hello fellow RC Habu Pilot!
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

...But there's only one way to find out, and that would be fore MRC to make the Oxcart.
                        The A-12! Win! Win!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I hate to be Johnny Raincloud, but in response to the discussions of the last few days, a) running a Crowdfund/GoFundMe campaign will just be running free market research for other suppliers, as previously stated, and b) you are dreaming if you think you can raise $100,000 for a project like this. The RC community is far too small.

Comment

• Year after year, the supply chain for EPS foam grows increasingly... complicated. It's a big reason why there aren't many EPS planes in mass production from the major manufacturers these days, especially not in larger EDF sizes. It often ends up being more expensive than EPO, assuming one can even secure a steady supply. Consistency is key in our business, so fragile chains are clear red flags.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by RickVB View Post
                              I hate to be Johnny Raincloud, but in response to the discussions of the last few days, a) running a Crowdfund/GoFundMe campaign will just be running free market research for other suppliers, as previously stated, and b) you are dreaming if you think you can raise $100,000 for a project like this. The RC community is far too small.
                              It's probably as crazy an idea as raising over $61,000 for a book of comics about D & D type games.

Comment

I hate to be Johnny Raincloud, but in response to the discussions of the last few days, a) running a Crowdfund/GoFundMe campaign will just be running free market research for other suppliers, as previously stated, and b) you are dreaming if you think you can raise $100,000 for a project like this. The RC community is far too small.
                                I don't think so. Honest truth, you don't know if it would work, I don't know if it would work. Honest truth is no one will know till someone try's it and it ether fails or succeeds. My point there are many popular models of past, that have been simply disappeared into oblivion, never to return until some model airplane zar deems it might be worth it. This is a sad truth regrettably. Success is not for the faint hearted, it never has been.

Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

I don't think so. Honest truth, you don't know if it would work, I don't know if it would work. Honest truth is no one will know till someone try's it and it ether fails or succeeds. My point there are many popular models of past, that have been simply disappeared into oblivion, never to return until some model airplane zar deems it might be worth it. This is a sad truth regrettably. Success is not for the faint hearted, it never has been.

Woody

I'll tell you what - I'm so sure I'm right, I'll pledge that if you can start a gofundme for your favorite plane to be produced by MRC and get it to $99,000 before someone else steals the idea and announces it first, I'll put in the last $1000.

Comment

I'll tell you what - I'm so sure I'm right, I'll pledge that if you can start a gofundme for your favorite plane to be produced by MRC and get it to $99,000 before someone else steals the idea and announces it first, I'll put in the last $1000.
                                    I'd like to know what you expect to get back for your $1000.00. Very few RC foamie planes (even EDFs) retail for more than $1000.00, so even if you expect and actually get a "free" one, you're still in the hole. Are you willing to give money to see your favorite plane get developed to the market stage? Business wise, that makes no sense. As far as altruism, the RC hobby is not exactly a charity.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                      I'd like to know what you expect to get back for your $1000.00. Very few RC foamie planes (even EDFs) retail for more than $1000.00, so even if you expect and actually get a "free" one, you're still in the hole. Are you willing to give money to see your favorite plane get developed to the market stage? Business wise, that makes no sense. As far as altruism, the RC hobby is not exactly a charity.
                                      That's the point - I'll let you set the Crowdfunding/GoFundMe/KickStarter/whatever terms; if that gets me a plane for my $1000, so be it. It doesn't matter, because it you won't be able to get the other $99,000 and get it produced, regardless of what plane and terms you select.

Comment

That's the point - I'll let you set the Crowdfunding/GoFundMe/KickStarter/whatever terms; if that gets me a plane for my $1000, so be it. It doesn't matter, because it you won't be able to get the other $99,000 and get it produced, regardless of what plane and terms you select.
                                        OK, now I get it. I contributed to a crowdfunding thing years ago to support some guy bringing to market that Pterodactyl ornithoptor that HobbyKing can't get rid of now at 1/4 the original price. As it turns out, that "guy" was a scammer that I only discovered AFTER I forked over my money. The expectation was to get one of those products or get our money back. Of all those who put money in, I would guesstimate that about half never got their money back. Of the other half, only a handful got a product (to appease the masses and keep them quiet a little longer) and the rest lost their money. Luckily, I sent my money via PayPal (using my CC). PayPal never helped me and it was my CC that refunded my money after nearly a year. Personally, I'll never give money to any crowd funding venture again. The return is not worth the investment nor is it worth the worry/stress and risk of failure.
                                        Unless crowd funding is for a charity or worthy cause, I consider it an investment. Any investment should have a good rate of return, not just getting your money back (either in cash or product) and with a good chance of success. In this hobby, what a few would consider the pinnacle of an RC model, may be shunned by the bulk of RC enthusiasts. Just take the "March Warbird Madness" contest as an example. If you vote purely by what you like, chances are you will not do well in the rankings. What you like doesn't matter. It's what the masses like.

Comment

• Distrust of the process is just one of the reasons that this idea won't work. In addition to too small a community, inadequate interest in any one project, unequal ideas of fair pricing for a given set terms, etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                                          X