FlightLineRC F8F Bearcat

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's next Alpha?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thanks a positive for FLRC model.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Bob Symes View Post
      Anyone know if the DO335 props are counter rotating? Might be a handful on takeoff if not!!
      Yes the full-size DO335 used counter-rotating props. But an interesting thing about that is, the prop shafts are both rotating in the same direction. But since one motor is facing backwards, it effectively is turning the prop backwards compared to the front. In other words... sitting behind the nose, the front prop is turning clockwise. If you turn around in the seat and look towards the tail, the prop is turning towards clockwise. But if you are behind the plane and looking at the rear prop, its turning counter-clockwise - opposite from the front prop! (this is fun, isn't it)

      This plane is in the Udvar-Hazy museum at Washington DC and its absolutely awesome to see in person. Its gigantic! The bottom of the nose is 6 FEET off the ground. You could walk under the nose without ducking (if there were no barrier). You can see it absolutely towering over the Arado that's next to it. It was the boss, for sure.

      I have a profile foamie of this bird (Dual Cockpit B12 version) and I didn't use counter-rotating props. (They're standard GWS 9x7 props). Hand-launch takeoffs aren't much of a problem as far as torque, I just use a little bit of right rudder and its fine. My model howls when it flies, something about how the two props interact with each other. The Cessna Skymaster does the same thing. I have no idea what the full-size Do335 sounded like obviously, I can only imagine....

      Image result for rabid models Do335 Image result for Do335 udvar hazy

      In my hanger: 70mm & 90mm F-104, Freewing Me262, 80mm A-10, A-4 Skyhawk, P51D "Iron Ass", Dauntless SBD. Flightline F7F Tigercat, Dynam B-26, Durafly Komet, Vampire, Sea Vixen. A Radian XL. and a lot of micro foamies.

      Coming soon OMG the 78" Liberator! And I hope: a Dynam P-61 Black Widow

      About 40+ Rabid Models planes including my 8' B-17 and 9' B-36.
      Plus some "snot powered" planes, including Mud Ducks

      Marc aka "themudduck" "Foamerbird" on YouTube
      www.rabidmodels.com

      Comment


      • Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

        From the photo of the only intact Do335, looks counter-rotating.

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_335
        And within the text body of that wiki it does state "The presence of the rear pusher propeller also mandated the provision for an ejection seat for safe escape from a damaged aircraft."
        The Cessna 337 has the same operational centerline power config because it uses the same engine on front and rear. There is no need to have a complicated gear reversal for counter rotational props.
        The Germans Pfeil design saved them a lot of specialized manufacturing and inventory. This is also the primary reason why the majority of US military twin wing mounted engines aren't counter rotation.
        Warbird Charlie

        ScaleTech OV-10 Bronco; HSD A1 Skyraider; FlightLine: F7F-2D, P-38 Allied Green, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51 Marie, F4U Olathe, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1500 Razor, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-10 Artic Thunder(100+ parts to rise again), A-6, P-51 Iron Ass; VQ: P-39, JU-52; LX PBJ-1(B-25), P-40E; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco, Catalina; Phoenix Spitfire; Maxford Antonov AN-2; Starmax L-4 Grasshopper; Eflite 1100 T-28 float; Tech1 P40; NP O-2 Skymaster; ASM A-26 Invader

        Comment


        • There really isn't a lot to making an engine run in reverse rotation.

          4-stroke:
          Different camshaft. Reset ignition timing. If it uses centrifugal ignition advance then the distributor has to be different. Vacuum advance would need a different unit attached to the distributor.
          For some injected engines the camshaft times the injection (covered by new camshaft), for others its electrical which is easy.
          Same block, same pistons, same pushrods, same crankshaft....
          Reverse rotation starter with "bendix" for the reverse direction.
          Very few parts change.

          Reed valve 2-strokes run either way and just don't care except ignition timing. Cut another key-way on the magneto flywheel and you reversed a common weedeater engine. Then modify the recoil starter.

          Glow 2-strokes with FSR (crankshaft is the intake valve) and crankcase split so you can remove crankshaft section from piston section we just rotated the connection between them and it was perfect.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

          current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

          Comment


          • Originally posted by themudduck View Post

            Yes the full-size DO335 used counter-rotating props. But an interesting thing about that is, the prop shafts are both rotating in the same direction. But since one motor is facing backwards, it effectively is turning the prop backwards compared to the front. In other words... sitting behind the nose, the front prop is turning clockwise. If you turn around in the seat and look towards the tail, the prop is turning towards clockwise. But if you are behind the plane and looking at the rear prop, its turning counter-clockwise - opposite from the front prop! (this is fun, isn't it)

            This plane is in the Udvar-Hazy museum at Washington DC and its absolutely awesome to see in person. Its gigantic! The bottom of the nose is 6 FEET off the ground. You could walk under the nose without ducking (if there were no barrier). You can see it absolutely towering over the Arado that's next to it. It was the boss, for sure.

            I have a profile foamie of this bird (Dual Cockpit B12 version) and I didn't use counter-rotating props. (They're standard GWS 9x7 props). Hand-launch takeoffs aren't much of a problem as far as torque, I just use a little bit of right rudder and its fine. My model howls when it flies, something about how the two props interact with each other. The Cessna Skymaster does the same thing. I have no idea what the full-size Do335 sounded like obviously, I can only imagine....

            Image result for rabid models Do335 Image result for Do335 udvar hazy
            Thanks,Awesome info. Sounds like it would make a fantastic sound in the air.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
              There really isn't a lot to making an engine run in reverse rotation.

              4-stroke:
              Different camshaft. Reset ignition timing. If it uses centrifugal ignition advance then the distributor has to be different. Vacuum advance would need a different unit attached to the distributor.
              For some injected engines the camshaft times the injection (covered by new camshaft), for others its electrical which is easy.
              Same block, same pistons, same pushrods, same crankshaft....
              Reverse rotation starter with "bendix" for the reverse direction.
              Very few parts change.

              Reed valve 2-strokes run either way and just don't care except ignition timing. Cut another key-way on the magneto flywheel and you reversed a common weedeater engine. Then modify the recoil starter.

              Glow 2-strokes with FSR (crankshaft is the intake valve) and crankcase split so you can remove crankshaft section from piston section we just rotated the connection between them and it was perfect.
              I would think a pusher prop would be a easy solution.

              Comment


              • So Aros told us to expect the next announcement "soon," like maybe it was going to happen this past week.

                So Aros, what's up man?
                Pat

                Comment


                • Like I mentioned, soon could be ďFebruaryĒ, ďMarchĒ, who knows. But I think we do need an answer before then........ How about it Aros???

                  Comment


                  • "Soon" to the developers in a two+ year process is most definitely not the same as "soon" to the consumers. I hope that they surprise us on one of these releases with an, "Oh by the way, they have been on the water for 6 weeks now. Should be here Thurday. Happy pre-order". Talk about making us scramble for our wallets.
                    Currently flying - Freewing 70mm Hawk, 80mm A-4's "Green Knights" and Blue Angels #6, F-86 & Mig-21, Twin 80mm A-10, Twin 90mm A-10; FMS Fox 2320mm glider; Eflight 1200mm Spitfire Mk XIV; Twisted Hobbies Clik R2; LX 64mm F-117 Nighthawk; Strix Nano Goblin.
                    Coming soon - Freewing F-15C on 8S

                    Comment


                    • I believe the term used was "soon-ish," which is up for even more interpretation. I don't think it could be any more obvious though; clearly he means a super scale F4 to be released next week.....

                      Comment


                      • Go ahead and fan those flames of speculation. I don't want any part of it.
                        Currently flying - Freewing 70mm Hawk, 80mm A-4's "Green Knights" and Blue Angels #6, F-86 & Mig-21, Twin 80mm A-10, Twin 90mm A-10; FMS Fox 2320mm glider; Eflight 1200mm Spitfire Mk XIV; Twisted Hobbies Clik R2; LX 64mm F-117 Nighthawk; Strix Nano Goblin.
                        Coming soon - Freewing F-15C on 8S

                        Comment


                        • Wouldn't a ship filled with F-4s cross the ocean faster than normal?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                            Wouldn't a ship filled with F-4s cross the ocean faster than normal?
                            The ship would certainly have more ballast than usual.
                            FLRC P-38L, Spit IX, Ta-152H; Freewing Me-262, F-86, Mosquito, FW-190A; PZ FW-190A; DF Spit Vb; FMS 1.7m P-51D, 1.4m A6M; EH P-51D; Alfa FW-190D9; UMX P-47B BL, P-51D BL, B-25, A-10; Easy Sky FW-190D

                            QQ Extra 300; Eflite Pulse 15e, Su-29MM, NVA, Timber, Viking, Radian XL; GP ElectroStik; DF DUS, Bush Mule; Multiplex No Gravity; UMX Timber, AC, 2SCub; DynaSoar Interceptor, Hypersonic, OSP

                            YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSC...ZP_mqfcFTeaBRg

                            Comment


                            • Hey, Motion's just being polite and giving you time to save your pennies
                              We all know what we would like to see, I wonder, what would people not like to see??

                              Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                Hey, Motion's just being polite and giving you time to save your pennies
                                We all know what we would like to see, I wonder, what would people not like to see??

                                Grossman56
                                My problem is, I have my pennies saved already and I want either a Super Scale 90mm F-100, Super Scale twin-80mm F-4, or Super Scale twin-80mm F-22 right now!
                                Pat

                                Comment


                                • Iím surprised they havenít done a bigger f22 yet. Can some one explain the licensing behind these rc aircraft? I know alpha has said some about it. But why would they need to license them with the full scale companies ?

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Topshot19 View Post
                                    Iím surprised they havenít done a bigger f22 yet. Can some one explain the licensing behind these rc aircraft? I know alpha has said some about it. But why would they need to license them with the full scale companies ?
                                    There can be several reasons to license an aircraft. To start, you are using a company name i.e. Grumman. Then you are duplicating a unique company design like the Tigercat. With the company's permission/license, you can hope to have "exclusive rights" to model thier plane, even an RC sport plane like the Sebart Avanti S. If another company, say HKMS decides to make an RC model of that exclusively licensed plane, it could open them up to lawsuit. It can also help with product promotion by being able to say that is the "Officially Licensed" offering to the customer. I'm sure that there are other reasons/benefits to licensing that I'm not aware of.

                                    Comment


                                    • Itís getting awful lonely on the following page ......


                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	F1B138EE-9C5E-45B9-B1BC-89523BA0DB1B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	41.3 KB ID:	112955

                                      Comment


                                      • I hope within the next few years Iíll see either a large F-22, large F-18C, large Mig-29, large F-100, large T-33, and/or a large F9F Cougar.

                                        I donít purchase and fly the small jets any longer, but did for many years. While I enjoyed it, if Iím going to buy small planes now, Iííd rather have prop. planes in that size, and save the jets for the larger aircraft I purchase so I can see more detail, the great overall scale profile, and some of the fun bells and whistles.

                                        Comment


                                        • I know. I check it at least once, every day. Crickets.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X