• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gravity tester View Post
    Someone say "bug basher"? Maybe its just another A-10.... LOL
    Yuk! Bug strike...

Comment

watch us all be off and theyll end up being something crazy like a flying out house for the prop and a learjet with vector thrust lol I know..Motion would never make such crazy stuff...but just sayin..we all may be way off
      www.TSHobbies.com
      Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

Vectored Learjet!! You win, TSHobbies :)

Jet, Student, Teacher, Virtue, Kant...

Prop, Student, Teacher, Tennyson...

Here's another hint, although I think this is just giving it away: Go back and read the product descriptions for the Freewing and FlightLineRC aircraft I've overseen these past four years. Themes, people, themes! I wrote those descriptions myself...

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
          Vectored Learjet!! You win, TSHobbies :)

Jet, Student, Teacher, Virtue, Kant...

Ha Ha! thats funny, if I do a search for 'Jet Kant" ,I get Learjets flying out of Kant Air Base ! lol

www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

ok...think Im onto something here...maybe this will help, but so far I got nuttin...

"Kant wrote a book discussing his theory of virtue in terms of independence which he believed was "a viable modern alternative to more familiar Greek views about virtue". This book is often criticized for its hostile tone and for not articulating his thoughts about autocracy comprehensibly. In the self-governance model of Aristotelian virtue, the non-rational part of the soul can be made to listen to reason through training. Although Kantian self-governance appears to involve "a rational crackdown on appetites and emotions" with lack of harmony between reason and emotion, Kantian virtue denies requiring "self-conquest, self-suppression, or self-silencing". They dispute that "the self-mastery constitutive of virtue is ultimately mastery over our tendency of will to give priority to appetite or emotion unregulated by duty, it does not require extirpating, suppressing, or silencing sensibility in general""
            www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

well, after going back a few posts ,look like I was slow to find it lol
              www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

You guys have waaaaaaay too much time on your hands....This is getting interesting!!! CARRY ON!!

Comment

Guys,

Wow, I just caught up to this thread, I think the “Phantom” hypothesis is a great one. However, it occurred to me that “phantom” can’t be taken too literally, because of course he wrote in German. So I looked for the original German, just to see what is there. Note that “phantom” is actually a word in German (this is where English stole it from). So is that the word he used?

Well, it seems from internet search that by far the most prominent quote involving “phantom of the mind” is that which occurs at the end of Chapter 2 in “Grundlegung zur Metaphysik der Sitten.” At least, when I search for “phantom” and “Kant”, pretty much all the English-language hits refer to this same quote. Most hits are in analytical works about Kant, not translations of Kant, but still they are discussing this quote. All of Kant’s works are indexed with a common system, and the reference for this quote is [4:445].

After much search, I discovered that a fantastic side-by-side English/German text can be found at:

The exact quote, in German (from the second edition, published in 1786) is:

"Daß nun Sittlichkeit kein Hirngespinst sey, welches alsdenn folgt, wenn der categorische Imperativ und mit ihm die Autonomie des Willens wahr..."

The key word here is “Hirngespinst.” My dictionary lists this as “crazy idea; delusion; pipe dream” and lists synonyms “chimera; phantom; fantasy” among others. Anyway, the point is - he did not literally use the word “phantom” in German, at least not in this quote.

I still like the F-4 Phantom idea, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloverzero View Post
                    You guys have waaaaaaay too much time on your hands....This is getting interesting!!! CARRY ON!!
                    lol, thats what happens when you work from home...get distracted very easily.
                    www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

OK....EDF

Given the clues by Alpha, it turns out that Mr. Kant's favorite teacher was "Martin" Knutzen. Martin was heavily influenced by and paid "heed" to the writings of John "Locke". So....."Lock" + "heed"(I know, a stretch) +"Martin". Lockheed-Martin product. Looking at the more recent jets we find both the F-22 and F-35. In researching both aircraft, the word "virtue" comes up many times in reference to the air superiority selling points to both initially and continue funding of both airframes. Virtue also being a major tenant in Kant's philosophy.

Looking at the current EDF offerings an 80mm - 90mm version of either platform would fill a void. Either would translate very well to a foam model. Both have good ducting oportunities and are good candidates for "grass friendly" gear.

I'd buy one. Especially an F-22.

Comment

The basic problem here is that Kant was an extremely prolific writer, and so we don't exactly know where to look.

By far the most famous phrase associated with Kant is the "Categorical Imperative." But this is not really specific to virtue, particularly in Kant's defintion of virtue. Kant defines virtue as a person's will power to follow a moral code, whereas the Categorial Imperative is the moral code itself.

His most famous works are probably:
                        -- Foundation of metaphysics of morality (Grundlegung zur Metaphysik der Sitten) and
                        -- Critique of practical reason (Kritik der praktischen Vernunf)

But the one that deals most specifically with Virtue, is:

-- Metaphysics of Morality (Die Metaphysik der Sitten)

This is split into two parts, the Doctrine of Right and the Doctrine of Virtue (respectively, the Rechtslehre and the Tugendlehre).

The word "Tugend" in German is the best translation of "virtue", but of course there are other German words embodying a similar concept. None that I can find are particularly close to the English word "virtue," which comes from the Latin "virtus."

None of these words above remind me of particular airplanes, but I thought I would post and see if somebody else can make a connection.

I have now actually ordered some Kant books on Amazon. This is turning into a disease.

One last thought - Alpha mentioned his mother taught him "history." He didn't say "literature." Perhaps there is some much later historical event this is tied to. I do remember a long time ago reading about one Nazi war criminal being asked if he thought he had followed the "categorical imperative," and he replied that he thought that yes, he had tried. That's a very twisted and monstrous comment, but the point is - Kant was (and is) very prominent in the German psyche, and so there may be some historical incident or quote involving Kant during more recent times (overlapping the existence of airplanes). We might be off-track looking to the 18th century.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                          OK....EDF

Given the clues by Alpha, it turns out that Mr. Kant's favorite teacher was "Martin" Knutzen. Martin was heavily influenced by and paid "heed" to the writings of John "Locke". So....."Lock" + "heed"(I know, a stretch) +"Martin". Lockheed-Martin product. Looking at the more recent jets we find both the F-22 and F-35. In researching both aircraft, the word "virtue" comes up many times in reference to the air superiority selling points to both initially and continue funding of both airframes. Virtue also being a major tenant in Kant's philosophy.

Looking at the current EDF offerings an 80mm - 90mm version of either platform would fill a void. Either would translate very well to a foam model. Both have good ducting oportunities and are good candidates for "grass friendly" gear.

I'd buy one. Especially an F-22.
                          OOOHHHHHH........................I was going down that same road regarding the Lockheed analogy but I went divergent on the virtue theory and learned that it was heavily ingrained within the Viking culture.
                          So Lockheed and Viking and I give you the "Lockheed S-3 Viking"
                          So that's my selection for the EDF phase of this most excellent 'Manufacture(Murder - cause it is damn near killing me) Mystery'
                          Alpha......Just make it 80mm power like the A-10 since a boat load of us now have the LiPo stash for it.;)
                          Now to clear my mind and get busy with Tennyson50LOL
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

FYI, there was a famous East German author named "Hermann Kant" who had a side job as an informer for the Stasi. His Stasi code name was "Martin." This came out after reunification and caused some controversy.

Of course, it is hard to tie "Kant" to "Virtue" using this person for "Kant." But, I thought it worth mentioned due to the "Martin" connection.

Comment

There was a B-24 "Heaven Can Wait" that was pilot by a 1st Lt Herbert G. Tennyson. Hmm..

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                There was a B-24 "Heaven Can Wait" that was pilot by a 1st Lt Herbert G. Tennyson. Hmm..
                                Dart,

You probably have a gift certificate coming. Brilliant deduction. I'd go for a nice 1700mm Lib. Very few ever modeled. My Dad was a crew chief in the Lib. Many more, some 18,000 Liberators built during the war ( Ft. Worth/ San Diego/ Detroit) than the B-17. Most were stationed in N. England and the US Press was too lazy or hungover to drive up from London to give it much press..
                                Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

A little information about that B-24s last mission.

take a look at the model designation, it has a 50 in it.

B-24J-50-CO

The 50 is the block number and the CO is the designation for Consolidated who built this particular plane that Tennyson was flying when it went MIA.

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircra.../42-41216.html

Comment

So bring out the Liberator and the Phantom and we'll have two bricks ! Ha
                                    Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                      So bring out the Liberator and the Phantom and we'll have two bricks ! Ha
                                      Bricks of Lasagna that is.....to celebrate! :Party:

Comment

Oh yeah! Save me some

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                                          A little information about that B-24s last mission.

take a look at the model designation, it has a 50 in it.

B-24J-50-CO

The 50 is the block number and the CO is the designation for Consolidated who built this particular plane that Tennyson was flying when it went MIA.

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircra.../42-41216.html
                                          That is definitely an encouraging tidbit of info, maybe we will see a B-24 after all? With how many were built, it's about time we see a nice RC version. I am particularly excitited as I just visited the Ft. Worth Lockheed Production line yesterday, one of the original places built for cranking out Liberators. They had some amazing photos of it, and was an awesome sight. The entire mile long facility is now being used for F-35 production.

Comment

Working...
                                          X