Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that haven't followed some of Alpha's reasoning, here's an example of "Project Hannibal" and how he says he got to that name..

From Alpha..
    Project Hannibal = Freewing F-14D

"As an example of bizarre associations, the F-14 was referred to internally as Project Hannibal. I chose that name for the following reasons:

1) Hannibal Barca was a genius Naval commander, although he's also known for his ground campaigns. The F-14 is a naval aircraft, although it distinguished itself as a ground attack platform --The F-14D was often deployed as a "Bombcat" toward the end of its service life.

2) 14 is the number of years Hannibal operated as a successful military force. F-14.... 14 years... 14.

3) 182 is the year of Hannibal's death. 182 is also the Kit # of Italeri?s F-14 re-release. I built this kit years ago and used certain small areas of it to draw the initial CAD for the Freewing F-14.

4) USS Hannibal, AG-1. This US Navy ship fought in three major campaigns, the Spanish-American War, WWI, and WWII. Hannibal Barca also found in three major campaigns. The USS Hannibal received a Spanish Campaign Medal, while Hannibal Barca took his titular oath in Spain to forever fight against the Romans. From Wikipedia: "After 21 years of use as a target ship, the Hannibal was largely obliterated. In 1966, the Navy brought in a second target ship, the American Mariner... and sunk it next to the Hannibal. Although the American Mariner is currently the U.S. Navy's only active live-fire target ship in the Chesapeake Bay, by tradition it keeps the name of the original target ship on that site and is still referred to as the Hannibal". An aircraft with a long service life in the Navy across multiple roles, and in many ways an immortal aircraft whose name lives on today... F-14 Tomcat.

5) Internally, we knew the F-14's release so soon after the F-15, T-45, and other aircraft would likely cause the F-14 to cannibalize sales from our other products, specifically because the F-14 was bigger, more complex, and was historically one of those "Unicorn" planes for many pilots. So Project Hannibal would cannibalize sales from its Freewing brethren. Hannibal Lecter, the Cannibal."
    Some project names weren't as round about or complex but I love this one. SO! Don't think a simple definition or story will solve the riddle but you never know. That Alpha is a wily one.. :Thinking:

Comment

• Did I hear Scotch? Currently sipping a 15 yr old of the The Macallan variety, which is a birthday present to myself, but I was hoping for a Bronco. The scotch is not helping with puzzle.

Comment

• Ok Beeg, got it figured out now. Snuggle up with a 20 year old scotch, put money into the RC fund and just wait for the pre order button....:Cool::Drinks:I

Comment

• Hey guys, Alpha gave it away a long time ago when he did the podcast for the B-24, it's a Lancaster, they would drop clouds of foil at night to fool the German radar.
          A Lancasta, Hunnicut, a Lancasta!
          (Charles Emerson Winchester to BJ Hunnicut in MASH, Quote." A Winchesta, Hunnicut, a Winchesta!)

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• The scotch tells me we know it’s a jet G-Man.

Comment

• Don't give up! Just because "Hannibal" was seriously convoluted doesn't mean "Foil" is. Project "Virtue" (FW A-4) was simple by comparison. The thing you have to remember, as Alpha has said is that he is a student of history. So, think of "Foil" in some sort of historical context and there you go! Easy as pie! LOL

Comment

• I'm delaying other purchases until I see what this is. I'd hate to spend my hobby stash (my wife's money):) and then have to pass up something I really want. So please make it something I really want.

Comment

• Oy yoy yoy... :Dizzy:

Comment

• Ok Beeg, Not one to shy away, just need to get up for more ice and pretzels.....
                    ok so Alpha history buff and with prior Alpha clue of hoot = fast and foil = faster, with edf givin, so one hand on the keyboard and one on the ice....let it begin ....:)

Comment

• Now where to put that EDF unit.....;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	127935

Comment

• OK. The only other “plane” that comes to mind, other than an F-100 would be an X-3 Stilleto but that would be a hand-full to fly. Worse than an F-104. Talk about a missle with man strapped to it.

Comment

• Doesn’t have to be USAF. Maybe it’s a CF-105?, MiG-25? TSR2? I’m thinking English Electric Lightning..

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                              Doesn’t have to be USAF. Maybe it’s a CF-105?, MiG-25? TSR2? I’m thinking English Electric Lightning..
                              I would should go for a MIG-25, TSR-2 or even an EE Lightning, but I doubt whether it will be any of these sadly..

Comment

• A Lancasta!!

Name:	_M3C7184a_(1280x834)_small.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	127964

Boots, who you gonna believe, me or some Scotchman??!!:Drinks::Goodbye:

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                  A Lancasta!!

Name:	_M3C7184a_(1280x834)_small.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	127964e Eyes

Boots, who you gonna believe, me or some Scotchman??!!:Drinks::Goodbye:

Grossman56
                                  A Lancasta would be super. I’m hoping Foil is an EDF and Five Eyes is prop driven and a DH98 Mossie. Love the twins

Comment

• Alpha confirmed a long time ago that Project Foil is an EDF. ;)
                                    Pat

Comment

• In a classic case of making the facts fit the desired result....here goes!!

Cloud Atlas: actors in the movie played many different parts set in many different eras (over about 500 years).
                                      Multiple roles.....spanning many years. Hold that thought.

Foil: a character who contrasts with another character, usually the protagonist, to highlight particular qualities of the other character.

Okay, here comes some fuzzy logic (or not).

As you all know the YF-17 contested the USAF Lightweight Fighter Programme alongside the YF-16, with the YF-16 (F-16) winning out due to its longer range, was cheaper and had a better known (and reliable) engine. Of course the YF-17 went on to be developed into the F/A-18.

So in this respect the YF-17 acted as the foil to the YF-16.

The Cloud Atlas clue could reference the fact that the FA-18 is a multi-role aircraft, the first naval plane to be designed for both the air-to-air and air-to-ground attack roles and replacing the F-4 Phantom II, A-6 Intruder, and A-7 Corsair II. Also fitting the Cloud Atlas reference, development of the YF-17 culminating in the F/A-18 took place over many years spanning several jet development generations.

So.....drawing a convoluted and very long bow, Project Foil could be an update of the current Freewing F/A-18E Hornet V2. Replacing EPS with EPO, adding grass friendly landing gear, removing thrust vectoring and moving to an 80mm fan.

....or not :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty500 View Post
                                        So.....drawing a convoluted and very long bow, Project Foil could be an update of the current Freewing F/A-18E Hornet V2. Replacing EPS with EPO, adding grass friendly landing gear, removing thrust vectoring and moving to an 80mm fan.
                                        ....or not :)

;) I hope so.
                                        Just a side note The F/A-18 did replace the A-6 but the F-14 replaced the F-4.
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Hold on a second guys, you're forgetting one thing. Alpha's reference to Ozymandias. Now that you throw in History and Cloud Atlas, this changes things. He's a student of history, so put Cloud Atlas and the poem together(history of the poem and how it came to be). The two things work together. He's working a line. Maybe it is as plane as can be(pardon the pun).

Comment

Working...
                                          X