X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “I am a student of History”.

On September 9, 1965, Commander James Bond Stockdale was shot down over Vietnam by flak. Over the next seven and a half years, while imprisoned at the infamous “Hanoi Hilton”, Commander Stockdale distinguished himself by organizing others to resist their captors despite his enduring near daily beatings and torture. His back, legs, and shoulders were broken and rebroken. Faced with such pain, he never wavered; in fact, his purposeful disfigurement of his own body at one instance convinced his captors that he would rather die than give in. Publicly, Commander Stockdale was ultimately awarded the Medal of Honor after his release in 1973.

After his release, Stockdale published 4 books detailing his philosophical beliefs and their contribution to his being able to endure the horror of his years as a POW, including his education at the US Naval Academy and reading a book by the Stoic philosopher Epictetus that he had somehow managed to hide on his person while in captivity. Describing himself as a ‘student of history”, Stockdale later said in a speech that after he ejected from his aircraft he thought “I am leaving the world of technology and entering the world of Epictetus”. In essence, a central belief of Epictetus and his Stoic teachings is that we cannot control what happens to us, but we can control our happiness by how we react to what happens to us. This mindset equipped Stockdale to mentally endure the incredible ordeal of his years as POW.

There are 4 cardinal virtues in Stoicism: Wisdom, Courage, Justice, and Temperance. Stockdale exhibited all of these during his captivity, and his Medal of Honor citation notes his “valiant leadership and extraordinary courage.”
    An embodiment of the Virtues he studied, Before passing away on July 5, 2005 at age 81, United States Navy Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale, the student who had become the teacher, wrote 4 books about the philosophy espousing 4 virtues that equipped him to survive his captivity after being shot from his A-4 Skyhawk.

Project Virtue = A-4 Skyhawk.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
      To MRC's credit, it is as grass friendly as you can make an A-4, the nose gear is trailing link, as are the mains. But, unless you really shrink the gear to low-rider status, the airframe configuration just doesn't lend itself well to rough fields.You have to get your club to look at a geotex/petromat runway, Charlie! Our club here has geotex, and I think its the best of both worlds. Smooth space for landings and takeoffs, but still maintains the shock absorbing properties of grass,
      Thanks for pointing that out, F106DeltaDart. Look at the LX 70mm A-4's wheels, then come back and tell me the Freewing 80mm A-4 isn't as turf friendly as an A-4 can be made in this size. The real aircraft was designed with tall landing gear so it could fit a single nuclear weapon on its centerline pylon, and even without it, the standard outboard fuel tanks have a very, very low ground clearance which is difficult to execute in a model that will be landing on grass. As we all know, the A-4 also has an impossibly tall extendable nose strut, too, and a laughably small nose wheel. Scaled down to a 80/90mm sized EDF, those wheels are impossible to sustain EDF landings for long. So we adjusted the struts and sized up the wheels. But then I'm sure some people will go back to the scale wheels just for "looks", like with the A-10. Different strokes for different folks! That's the fun in this hobby!

Fun fact: the real A-4 was designed to be able to belly land on its outboard fuel tanks with very minimal damage, sort of like the real A-10. I wouldn't try that with either of our Freewing models, though. Haha! But we did make the fuel tanks magnetic so if they happen to strike the ground on a hard landing, it's easier for the tanks to bounce off rather than rip out the pylon from the wing.

Ground clearance and tiny wheels...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	A-4-Ground Clearance.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	88869

Mk.8 Nuke

Name:	A-4 Mk.8 Nuke.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	88870

Comment

• shame the cat got out like that ,but guess its a hard lid to keep shut with the test models being flown in public fields. for those ole foggie gasser guys...now you have somethin to nuke em with . lol
        www.TSHobbies.com
        Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Well we all were totally shut out on the Virtue investigation...............was a really tough game.:Whew:
          What was the correlation with Kant ??:Thinking:
          So Alpha, may we have one more clue regarding the Tennyson project???:Ligthbulb:
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thus ends an entertaining puzzle. Now we can focus on reading all the works of Tennyson. Maybe we could get a clue involving less prolific authors next time.....Kant and Tennyson had pen diarrhea.

Comment

• So......................... what happened to Project Tennyson50????

Comment

• It's still out there and I'm still rackin my gourd to figure out the clue to what airframe.
                I keep finding myself trying to justify my discoveries back to a :ov10 ;) LOL
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• f100 90mm is my guess lots of incoming air from the front lots of mod options as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cutter262 View Post
                    So......................... what happened to Project Tennyson50????
                    At any given time, we have two years' worth of projects in the hopper. I just revealed two project names to entertain this thread. I didn't say they were sequential. ;) Although Tennyson50 isn't all too far away.

After the A-4 opens soon I'll post another EDF project name. The game is still on and the rules remain unchanged: anyone who correctly, within reasonable accuracy as determined by me, associates the project name with the model aircraft will receive a copy of that model when it is released.

Comment

• I think I know the next Flightline warbird as it relates to Tennyson. Of course, airplanes were not invented yet when he wrote the famous poem: " Charge of the light Brigade" about a Crimean war.

It's the Douglas A-1D Skyraider!

Before John McCain flew the A-4 Skyhawk( new FW model), he flew the A-1 Skyraider. As a Naval Aviator( we don't use the term pilots). He flew Skyraiders off the Intrepid and Enterprise.

Douglas license ? E.g. A-4, A-1 ??? Brilliant deduction, huh? Lol

The Pre A-10 CAS aircraft. Still nothing like it.

The poem became emblematic for the Naval A1 squads.

Could be offered in Navy, USAF and Marines liveries.

Hawk
                      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                        I think I know the next Flightline warbird as it relates to Tennyson. Of course, airplanes were not invented yet when he wrote the famous poem: " Charge of the light Brigade" about a Crimean war.

It's the Douglas A-1D Skyraider!

Before John McCain flew the A-4 Skyhawk( new FW model), he flew the A-1 Skyraider. As a Naval Aviator( we don't use the term pilots). He flew Skyraiders off the Intrepid and Enterprise.

Douglas license ? E.g. A-4, A-1 ??? Brilliant deduction, huh? Lol

The Pre A-10 CAS aircraft. Still nothing like it.

The poem became emblematic for the Naval A1 squads.

Could be offered in Navy, USAF and Marines liveries.

Hawk
                        Oh yeah.......if it's not a Bronco I like that idea daHawk.
                        Some time last fall I made a remark how it would be nice if FL acquired the molds from HSD when they discontinued their production of it and upgraded some of the scale disproportionate shortcomings. It is a 1600 6S bird that needed better retracts(rotation pin kept coming out) and canopy/nose air dam not correct proportionately.
                        Following your Douglas analogy.........The A-1's original designation was AD with the first full blown production unit incorporating the R-3350-26WA motor being the AD-4 which is a juxtaposition of the pre 62 designation of A4D for the Skyhawk.
                        That's my logic path for the Skyraider and my choice and I will quit beating my head against the wall trying to turn my fact finding discoveries into Bronco rationalizations.:Whew:
                        My squadron flew Spad's before they transitioned to A-6 Intruders and would have a FL Skyraider in a heartbeat if I can't have a :ov10LOL
                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                          “I am a student of History”.

On September 9, 1965, Commander James Bond Stockdale was shot down over Vietnam by flak. Over the next seven and a half years, while imprisoned at the infamous “Hanoi Hilton”, Commander Stockdale distinguished himself by organizing others to resist their captors despite his enduring near daily beatings and torture. His back, legs, and shoulders were broken and rebroken. Faced with such pain, he never wavered; in fact, his purposeful disfigurement of his own body at one instance convinced his captors that he would rather die than give in. Publicly, Commander Stockdale was ultimately awarded the Medal of Honor after his release in 1973.

After his release, Stockdale published 4 books detailing his philosophical beliefs and their contribution to his being able to endure the horror of his years as a POW, including his education at the US Naval Academy and reading a book by the Stoic philosopher Epictetus that he had somehow managed to hide on his person while in captivity. Describing himself as a ‘student of history”, Stockdale later said in a speech that after he ejected from his aircraft he thought “I am leaving the world of technology and entering the world of Epictetus”. In essence, a central belief of Epictetus and his Stoic teachings is that we cannot control what happens to us, but we can control our happiness by how we react to what happens to us. This mindset equipped Stockdale to mentally endure the incredible ordeal of his years as POW.

There are 4 cardinal virtues in Stoicism: Wisdom, Courage, Justice, and Temperance. Stockdale exhibited all of these during his captivity, and his Medal of Honor citation notes his “valiant leadership and extraordinary courage.”
                          An embodiment of the Virtues he studied, Before passing away on July 5, 2005 at age 81, United States Navy Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale, the student who had become the teacher, wrote 4 books about the philosophy espousing 4 virtues that equipped him to survive his captivity after being shot from his A-4 Skyhawk.

Project Virtue = A-4 Skyhawk.

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...skyhawk-thread
                          Nice plane. and have a fondness for the "scooter" since I was stationed with them at Miramar back when it was Top Gun and I was still in the Navy reserves. My old squadron was VFC-13 operating TA4J and A4F. it's the only plane I ever got to back seat in as a Plane captain when we did a det. to Yuma to support Marine training ops for 3 days. Also a very very rare occasion when an enlisted was allowed to fly back seat in a fighter jet. Myself and two others got to make the trip and the flight in the plane was a life time experience and joy.... I was able to keep my lunch down....even though my division officer did his best to loosen it :)
                          Brandon Moon

Comment

• Btw ALpha, i was hoping to have another guess at tennyson50:
                            I believe it could be a "D" model FW-190 also known as a Dora; the clue being Alfred Lord Tennysons (Tennyson) 8th poem written 1842 (8+42=50) "Morte D'Arthur; Dora; & other Idyls"

Name:	chronologicallis00grol_0011.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	103171
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Hopefully 1600mm :)

Comment

• So I guess I have to wait till the A1 is released before Alpha sends me one. Lol.

Still hope they are working on a really good flying F4 in the super scale series.
                                Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• I think it's gonna be an F-4 because in 1973 an F-4J was flown by Lt. Charlie Tennyson and Lt. Jay Turner on the USS Constellation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murman13 View Post
                                    I think it's gonna be an F-4 because in 1973 an F-4J was flown by Lt. Charlie Tennyson and Lt. Jay Turner on the USS Constellation.
                                    Welcome to the Squawk Murman.
                                    Gotta tell ya your guess on the F-4 is incorrect.
                                    To get you headed in the correct direction without reading the whole thread, one of Alpha's clues was that Tennyson50 is a warbird(prop job)
                                    Here's the clue link.........https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...3579#post83579
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Welcome to the Squawk Murman.
                                      Gotta tell ya your guess on the F-4 is incorrect.
                                      To get you headed in the correct direction without reading the whole thread, one of Alpha's clues was that Tennyson50 is a warbird(prop job)
                                      Here's the clue link.........https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...3579#post83579
                                      F-4's are Warbirds in my book..... ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

F-4's are Warbirds in my book..... ;)
                                        Yeah....in my book too but he clearly defined it as prop on post#83
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Well, maybe its a 2m prop warbird. That would be exciting! Or the twin OV-10. That's a prop.

Comment

Working...
                                          X