Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That would be a cool one! :Cool:

Comment

• Anyone know if the DO335 props are counter rotating? Might be a handful on takeoff if not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Symes View Post
        Anyone know if the DO335 props are counter rotating? Might be a handful on takeoff if not!!
        From the photo of the only intact Do335, looks counter-rotating.

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Thanks a positive for FLRC model.:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Symes View Post
            Anyone know if the DO335 props are counter rotating? Might be a handful on takeoff if not!!
            Yes the full-size DO335 used counter-rotating props. But an interesting thing about that is, the prop shafts are both rotating in the same direction. But since one motor is facing backwards, it effectively is turning the prop backwards compared to the front. In other words... sitting behind the nose, the front prop is turning clockwise. If you turn around in the seat and look towards the tail, the prop is turning towards clockwise. But if you are behind the plane and looking at the rear prop, its turning counter-clockwise - opposite from the front prop! (this is fun, isn't it)

This plane is in the Udvar-Hazy museum at Washington DC and its absolutely awesome to see in person. Its gigantic! The bottom of the nose is 6 FEET off the ground. You could walk under the nose without ducking (if there were no barrier). You can see it absolutely towering over the Arado that's next to it. It was the boss, for sure.

I have a profile foamie of this bird (Dual Cockpit B12 version) and I didn't use counter-rotating props. (They're standard GWS 9x7 props). Hand-launch takeoffs aren't much of a problem as far as torque, I just use a little bit of right rudder and its fine. My model howls when it flies, something about how the two props interact with each other. The Cessna Skymaster does the same thing. I have no idea what the full-size Do335 sounded like obviously, I can only imagine....

Image result for rabid models Do335 Image result for Do335 udvar hazy

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

From the photo of the only intact Do335, looks counter-rotating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_335
              And within the text body of that wiki it does state "The presence of the rear pusher propeller also mandated the provision for an ejection seat for safe escape from a damaged aircraft."
              The Cessna 337 has the same operational centerline power config because it uses the same engine on front and rear. There is no need to have a complicated gear reversal for counter rotational props.
              The Germans Pfeil design saved them a lot of specialized manufacturing and inventory. This is also the primary reason why the majority of US military twin wing mounted engines aren't counter rotation.
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• There really isn't a lot to making an engine run in reverse rotation.

4-stroke:
                Different camshaft. Reset ignition timing. If it uses centrifugal ignition advance then the distributor has to be different. Vacuum advance would need a different unit attached to the distributor.
                For some injected engines the camshaft times the injection (covered by new camshaft), for others its electrical which is easy.
                Same block, same pistons, same pushrods, same crankshaft....
                Reverse rotation starter with "bendix" for the reverse direction.
                Very few parts change.

Reed valve 2-strokes run either way and just don't care except ignition timing. Cut another key-way on the magneto flywheel and you reversed a common weedeater engine. Then modify the recoil starter.

Glow 2-strokes with FSR (crankshaft is the intake valve) and crankcase split so you can remove crankshaft section from piston section we just rotated the connection between them and it was perfect.
                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

Yes the full-size DO335 used counter-rotating props. But an interesting thing about that is, the prop shafts are both rotating in the same direction. But since one motor is facing backwards, it effectively is turning the prop backwards compared to the front. In other words... sitting behind the nose, the front prop is turning clockwise. If you turn around in the seat and look towards the tail, the prop is turning towards clockwise. But if you are behind the plane and looking at the rear prop, its turning counter-clockwise - opposite from the front prop! (this is fun, isn't it)

This plane is in the Udvar-Hazy museum at Washington DC and its absolutely awesome to see in person. Its gigantic! The bottom of the nose is 6 FEET off the ground. You could walk under the nose without ducking (if there were no barrier). You can see it absolutely towering over the Arado that's next to it. It was the boss, for sure.

I have a profile foamie of this bird (Dual Cockpit B12 version) and I didn't use counter-rotating props. (They're standard GWS 9x7 props). Hand-launch takeoffs aren't much of a problem as far as torque, I just use a little bit of right rudder and its fine. My model howls when it flies, something about how the two props interact with each other. The Cessna Skymaster does the same thing. I have no idea what the full-size Do335 sounded like obviously, I can only imagine....

Image result for rabid models Do335 Image result for Do335 udvar hazy
                  Thanks,Awesome info. Sounds like it would make a fantastic sound in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                    There really isn't a lot to making an engine run in reverse rotation.

4-stroke:
                    Different camshaft. Reset ignition timing. If it uses centrifugal ignition advance then the distributor has to be different. Vacuum advance would need a different unit attached to the distributor.
                    For some injected engines the camshaft times the injection (covered by new camshaft), for others its electrical which is easy.
                    Same block, same pistons, same pushrods, same crankshaft....
                    Reverse rotation starter with "bendix" for the reverse direction.
                    Very few parts change.

Reed valve 2-strokes run either way and just don't care except ignition timing. Cut another key-way on the magneto flywheel and you reversed a common weedeater engine. Then modify the recoil starter.

Glow 2-strokes with FSR (crankshaft is the intake valve) and crankcase split so you can remove crankshaft section from piston section we just rotated the connection between them and it was perfect.
                    I would think a pusher prop would be a easy solution.

Comment

• So Aros told us to expect the next announcement "soon," like maybe it was going to happen this past week.

So Aros, what's up man? ;)
                      Pat

Comment

• Like I mentioned, soon could be “February”, “March”, who knows. But I think we do need an answer before then........ How about it Aros???

Comment

• "Soon" to the developers in a two+ year process is most definitely not the same as "soon" to the consumers. ;) I hope that they surprise us on one of these releases with an, "Oh by the way, they have been on the water for 6 weeks now. Should be here Thurday. Happy pre-order". Talk about making us scramble for our wallets. LOL

Comment

• I believe the term used was "soon-ish," which is up for even more interpretation. I don't think it could be any more obvious though; clearly he means a super scale F4 to be released next week.....

Comment

• Go ahead and fan those flames of speculation. I don't want any part of it. :Straight-Face::f4phantom

Comment

• Wouldn't a ship filled with F-4s cross the ocean faster than normal?:)

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                                  Wouldn't a ship filled with F-4s cross the ocean faster than normal?:)
                                  The ship would certainly have more ballast than usual. :Cool:
                                  ---
                                  Warbirder

Comment

• Hey, Motion's just being polite and giving you time to save your penniesLOL
                                    We all know what we would like to see:Cool:, I wonder, what would people not like:( to see??

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                      Hey, Motion's just being polite and giving you time to save your penniesLOL
                                      We all know what we would like to see:Cool:, I wonder, what would people not like:( to see??

Grossman56
                                      My problem is, I have my pennies saved already and I want either a Super Scale 90mm F-100, Super Scale twin-80mm F-4, or Super Scale twin-80mm F-22 right now! :)
                                      Pat

Comment

• I’m surprised they haven’t done a bigger f22 yet. Can some one explain the licensing behind these rc aircraft? I know alpha has said some about it. But why would they need to license them with the full scale companies ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshot19 View Post
                                          I’m surprised they haven’t done a bigger f22 yet. Can some one explain the licensing behind these rc aircraft? I know alpha has said some about it. But why would they need to license them with the full scale companies ?
                                          There can be several reasons to license an aircraft. To start, you are using a company name i.e. Grumman. Then you are duplicating a unique company design like the Tigercat. With the company's permission/license, you can hope to have "exclusive rights" to model thier plane, even an RC sport plane like the Sebart Avanti S. If another company, say HKMS decides to make an RC model of that exclusively licensed plane, it could open them up to lawsuit. It can also help with product promotion by being able to say that is the "Officially Licensed" offering to the customer. I'm sure that there are other reasons/benefits to licensing that I'm not aware of.

Comment

Working...
                                          X