X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
    Yeah, the Peacemaker was massive. We have one of the few remaining Peacemakers at the Pima Air and Space Museum here in Tucson. It's quite impressive to walk around and under.

My Dad worked on them when he was in the USAF, and one of my supervisors back in California had been aircrew on them.
    Here's something to think about. While impracticable with modern anti-air defenses, just think how many air-launched cruise missiles you could hang from those wings and stuff into those massive bomb bays. As-is, she had really "long legs", but equip her with in-flight refueling (you'd have to modify a few as tankers(KC-36)) they could stay up for days firing cruise missiles into a war zone from just outside the air defense perimeter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Here's something to think about. While impracticable with modern anti-air defenses, just think how many air-launched cruise missiles you could hang from those wings and stuff into those massive bomb bays. As-is, she had really "long legs", but equip her with in-flight refueling (you'd have to modify a few as tankers(KC-36)) they could stay up for days firing cruise missiles into a war zone from just outside the air defense perimeter.
      Provided the engines didn't crap out. As I understand it, the B-36 was highly prone to engine failures. With as many as she had, it usually wasn't an issue. One factor was the excessive vibrations from the pusher props. Each time a propeller blade passed through the trailing-edge airflow, it would "thump." Three-bladed props equated to six thumps for every revolution of the prop, times six engines. Modern engine technology is far more reliable, but to eliminate that vibration, they would need to get rid of the pushers.

Heck, swap out those old piston engines for the turboprops like they use on the Hercules, mounted at the front of the wings, and that bird would make for one massive workhorse!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cws View Post
        An 80mm Panther would probably sell.
        I know I would have to have one.
        A 1600 mm P 39 would be a good one too.
        A 90mm Panther and a 2000mm P-39 would be even better... :)​​​​​​​

Comment

• what about an Updated higher power F-14??

Comment

Last edited by p51mustangman; May 17, 2019, 12:15 PM. Reason: duplicate

Comment

• Originally posted by p51mustangman View Post
              what about an Updated higher power F-14??
              I think they already have that. You can buy the F-14 "high speed" version with inrunners from RC Castle.

Comment

Provided the engines didn't crap out. As I understand it, the B-36 was highly prone to engine failures. With as many as she had, it usually wasn't an issue. One factor was the excessive vibrations from the pusher props. Each time a propeller blade passed through the trailing-edge airflow, it would "thump." Three-bladed props equated to six thumps for every revolution of the prop, times six engines. Modern engine technology is far more reliable, but to eliminate that vibration, they would need to get rid of the pushers.

Heck, swap out those old piston engines for the turboprops like they use on the Hercules, mounted at the front of the wings, and that bird would make for one massive workhorse!

Or they could put the X B-60 into production:

Click image for larger version

Name:	convair_yb-60_1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	195042

Comment

• Lockheed Martin likely owns all the former Convair designs now. Convair ended up under the General Dynamics umbrella, until Bill Anders parted out most of GD in the early 1990s. As I recall, GD kept Electric Boat Division, mostly because they could not find a buyer for it. GD's missile business, including the Phalanx CIWS, went to Hughes, who sold it a few years later to Raytheon. The aircraft production ended up under Lockheed Martin, and the top 12 execs of General Dynamics pocketed a fortune.

It's still hard for me to think of the F-16 as a Lockheed product (no slam on Lockheed). I still remember all those photos, videos, and scale models of the prototype Falcon, in the red, white, and blue, paint scheme, with General Dynamics F-16 painted on the vertical stab.

Comment

• Ok, so we've got the 80mm+ crowd a new jet, got a OV-10, so how about something for us parkflyers, like a 64 mm F-100, or F9F-6? Or even the Skyangel 50 mms with Deans plug ESCs?

Comment

• Still would like a nicely done single 80mm F-15:Cool:

Comment

• Tis true about the OV10, however would like to see it in foam as well:Cool:

Comment

• From a recent visitClick image for larger version  Name:	528AE537-EF93-4882-894E-D2BC11241159.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	141.7 KB ID:	195823Click image for larger version  Name:	EC04F264-61E3-46E2-AD87-6DC3CC2D7111.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	125.8 KB ID:	195822Click image for larger version  Name:	585525DE-D1A5-48E0-A267-880182AC0203.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	119.8 KB ID:	195821Click image for larger version  Name:	399F6669-AE3F-4810-949A-344B3FEB12F1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	195820
                          Originally posted by Hoomi View Post

Comment

• I need to stop in at Pima Air and Space Museum again soon. I can see it on my way to and from work every day.

I wish my Dad had held on long enough for them to get the Peacemaker on display at Pima. He worked on them during his term in the Air Force. Alas, when the cancer had caused seizures to the point his doctor told him he couldn't drive any longer, he pretty much gave up and waited for death by sitting in his recliner all day, watching true crime programs on television. His mind and body atrophied to the point that he was pretty much gone well before his heart finally stopped beating.

Comment

I need to stop in at Pima Air and Space Museum again soon. I can see it on my way to and from work every day.

I wish my Dad had held on long enough for them to get the Peacemaker on display at Pima. He worked on them during his term in the Air Force. Alas, when the cancer had caused seizures to the point his doctor told him he couldn't drive any longer, he pretty much gave up and waited for death by sitting in his recliner all day, watching true crime programs on television. His mind and body atrophied to the point that he was pretty much gone well before his heart finally stopped beating.
                              Sorry to hear. Had a similar situation, but it was just the fact that my dad was forced to retire due to health reasons, and had nothing outside of work, that the same thing happened, except it was a diabetes related heart attack. But when you think about it, working on the "Magnesium Cloud" might have caused his cancer, given all the chemicals involved.

Comment

• In my Dad's case, it was most likely 30+ years of smoking. His started out as lung cancer, which metastasized to his brain (which, I understand, is quite common with lung cancer). If I recall correctly, he also had emphysema that was smoking related. He had finally quit smoking maybe ten years before he died, but by then, the damage was done.

Watching him in his last year of life made me decide that wasn't how I was going to go. When Death comes for me, I don't want him to find me sitting quietly in the easy chair, waiting for him. I want him out of breath, clutching his bony chest, and wheezing, "WOULD.... YOU.... PLEASE.... SLOW.... DOWN...."

Comment

In my Dad's case, it was most likely 30+ years of smoking. His started out as lung cancer, which metastasized to his brain (which, I understand, is quite common with lung cancer). If I recall correctly, he also had emphysema that was smoking related. He had finally quit smoking maybe ten years before he died, but by then, the damage was done.

Watching him in his last year of life made me decide that wasn't how I was going to go. When Death comes for me, I don't want him to find me sitting quietly in the easy chair, waiting for him. I want him out of breath, clutching his bony chest, and wheezing, "WOULD.... YOU.... PLEASE.... SLOW.... DOWN...."
                                  Easier said than done but I admire your spirit. That's what it takes is a STRONG will, this from a 5X cancer survivor.
                                  I still laugh my butt off remembering what George (Tired Iron) exclaimed when I was climbing the monster tree for the remains of my A-10 after our midair during 2017 Fall Nall.
                                  He said I was like a kid on a sugar high scampering up that beast.............not bad for a 60+ year oldLOL
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

In my Dad's case, it was most likely 30+ years of smoking. His started out as lung cancer, which metastasized to his brain (which, I understand, is quite common with lung cancer). If I recall correctly, he also had emphysema that was smoking related. He had finally quit smoking maybe ten years before he died, but by then, the damage was done.

I wouldn't rule it out either. My mom smoked for about five years and quit about fifty years ago and still came down with breast cancer(x2) and COPD. John Wayne even claimed that while smoking caused his lung cancer it was "The Conquer" that caused the stomach cancer that killed him.

Comment

• And now back to our regularly scheduled program....So when do the TU-4's come in Alpha? Or the Sukhoi t-4

Comment

• Since MRC has XK helicopters, will you start carrying their drones as well?

Comment

• What do I need to do to get either Freewing or FMS to make a 90mm F-100 Super Sabre...........? I know you are reading these post. Every time I bring this up in a group of rc pilots they drool. I bet it would be one of the most popular jets either have produced. Just as successful as the Freewing ME 262, which was one of their most popular releases.....it is a rare bird in the rc world. Only one I know is made by Century Jets and it’s a turbine version...ok I’m done begging.??

Comment

Working...
                                          X