X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-6S Balsa Electric Plane Suggestions

Looking into getting a nice electric balsa plane. Preferably 4-6s with more 6s than 4. 48"+ with good stable characteristics. Have seen a few sbachs fly as well as an electric SS xtra or something like that. The ol' budget wont allow me to just frivolously buy something I may not like or wont meet my needs, but just started looking. Could use a few good suggestions. Money wise? 450.00 for an ARF with motor and servos wouldnt be out of the question.

Thanks

I'll venture to throw a suggestion your way. Not knowing what your desires/preferences are for an airframe am going to pitch one that really impressed me(even though it's not a warbird) when I maidened it for another club member.

SIG 4-Star 64
    Tower Hobbies carries an expansive collection of RC cars, RC airplanes, RC boats, model trains, sot cars, and supplies for all hobbyists.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks, I should have mentioned looking for a sport aerobatic plane. I'll keep that one on mind.

Comment

Well I guess the 4-Star hits that nail on the head. ;)
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas W View Post
          Looking into getting a nice electric balsa plane. Preferably 4-6s with more 6s than 4. 48"+ with good stable characteristics. Have seen a few sbachs fly as well as an electric SS xtra or something like that. The ol' budget wont allow me to just frivolously buy something I may not like or wont meet my needs, but just started looking. Could use a few good suggestions. Money wise? 450.00 for an ARF with motor and servos wouldnt be out of the question.

Thanks
          Hey Thomas,
          Take a look at the Value Hobby line of balsa ARF's. They are priced extremely reasonable & have excellent quality. I bought (2) of their balsa PNP's before they ran out of stock(PNP's) & they were a superb value. I don't fly 3D, so I wasn't interested in that line, although they do have some super nice pattern & 3D ARF's. Here's a link to take a look. You may find something that will pique your interest & not put a severe dent in your wallet.

Denny

*** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
          *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

I buy my balsa/ply ARF's from Tower Hobby. No charge for shipping and excellent service, akin to MRC. They carry Great Planes and other high quality ARF's. Tower and MRC are the only companies I buy from, unless I see something else I just can't live without!...Like the Grumman Widgeon from Value Hobby. Doc

Comment

I've been toying with my old Skyfly and I thought that I'd like to balance the propeller. After looking closely at it I can't figure out how to get it off. Seems to be a very solid connection and I don't want to damage anything. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
              Best regards,
              Ed

Comment

Hmmmm.. not familiar with that. Does it vibrate when you bench run it? CAREFULLY!!! Doc

Comment

Have you looked at the SIG T-Clips? It comes in a 60" version that I run on 4S. Very aerobatic and flys like a pylon racer with a power 32. They also have a 70" version that is perfect for 6S.

Comment

Doctormike, thanks at high throttle I noticed that there was a lot of vibration a clear message that the prop should go on my balancer for a check-up. But removing the propeller is a I don't know how project.

Comment

Originally posted by thehorse View Post
                      I've been toying with my old Skyfly and I thought that I'd like to balance the propeller. After looking closely at it I can't figure out how to get it off. Seems to be a very solid connection and I don't want to damage anything. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
                      Best regards,
                      Ed
                      Wow........Any reference I could find at all was to Hobbico SkyFly 2 and that has been discontinued for awhile.
                      It appears from a pic that the spinner is detachable from the prop.
                      Here's the pic of the prop/spinner that I was referring to and it can still be purchased. ;)

Warbird Charlie

Comment

QV10, yes I thank you however no instructions on how to pry off the spinner. I guess I can call Tower Hobbies. . .long distance. I don't want to damage this old bird it's basically new in the box, never have flown it here in Osaka. Hopefully I can take it to California and fly there.

Comment

Is the spinner soft, flexible plastic? If it is, like my old Banana Hobby Pitts, you just turn the spinner counter clockwise while holding the prop. It would flex around the prop and screw off. Good luck! Doc

Comment

Thank you doctor Mike I'll give it a try.
                            Best,
                            thehorse

Comment

Thanks guys. Went with the Phoenix Edge 540 65" from Tower hobby. Already have it here, and will be powered by the Rimfire 120, 16x8 APC, and 6s-5500 mah 45c roaring tops. I realize my flight time might not be that great, but having never owned a gas, glow model I figured a DLE 20cc might be a bit much for a first gas plane. Maybe I'll convert it to gas next spring. I do belong to a club, but getting some of the veteran members to teach me about gas engines is nearly impossible.
                              Check out all our products at towerhobbies.com

Comment

Wow...sorry to hear about the selfish snobbery! If I ask a veteran member in our club for info, I'd better be in for the long haul! I learn everything and more than I asked for. Sounds like someone's buttocks needs to be kicked around the block! No excuse! Doc

Comment

Working...
                                X