You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My SkyMule replacement, the BushMule, maidened.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SkyMule replacement, the BushMule, maidened.

It has been well over a year since I crashed one of my favorite planes, my Durafly SkyMule. I had planned to replace it with another SkyMule, but in typical HK fashion, it was out of stock, and then, to my surprise, discontinued. I found out later that there was a V2 in the works, so waited somewhat patiently. Finally, it has arrived, with some improvements over the original and with a new name, BushMule.

The SkyMule was not a model of any particular plane, but seemed to take a lot of cues from the Britten-Norman Islander. As such, it was a blank canvas for modeling. The new BushMule keeps the fuse and wing of the SkyMule, but sports new sturdy landing gear attached to the bottom of the fuselage, now looking something like a cross between an Islander and a Twin Otter. Again, this makes it a great candidate for some fantasy paint schemes.

The new 'Mule comes with big tundra style foam tires. Not a look I thought fit the airframe, so I replaced the wheels with some Robarts that look a little less cartoonish to me. Then I wrapped and lettered the plane in a made up U S ARMY scheme that should be easy to see even on overcast days or when the plane finds itself at 1000+ feet;-)

I maidened my new 'Mule today and I am happy to say it flies as good, if not better, than my original SkyMule. The motors are a step up from the bell motors of the original. The new 'Mule has flaps and a cargo ramp/door for dropping items. It comes with a set of skis and can be equipped with optional floats. The new ESCs have a reverse feature which would be handy when flying from water.

HK says the plane can be flown on three or four cell power. I used Admiral 3600 four cell batteries for my first flights. On four cell it has more than enough power for even Tim the Toolman. It will literally fly straight up and out of sight. (Experience speaking) I'm going to try it on three cell next week, I have a feeling three cell power will be plenty for my style of flying.

With flaps dropped it slows down nicely for landings or just a nice slow flyby.

I consider fit and finish of the model good, not Freewing good, but better than I expect form HK.

It is a fun plane that you can do a lot with.

You've seen my posts on the other forum. If not for HobbyKing botching my pre-order and subsequent request for order modification, I would be flying mine also. Added to that, their rep who posted in that thread was totally "out of it" and useless when it comes to knowing what the "home office" was doing and accused me of doing something I never did (IE, "cancel" the order). I finally got fed up and demanded a refund or I'd start a PayPal dispute. With that, (and after the 4th attempt) at "online chat", the girl got a hold of accounting and put a credit in my account so I could order the one that was "in stock". (The one I had on pre-order from Hong Kong was never in stock.) I should get it this week.
    I had already given away my SkyMule to a good friend, who gave his (slightly less good looking) to another friend. I loved that plane and I look forward to this one. I will give my "impressions" on this forum (in this thread) when I get it up in the air. I expect it to be just as spectacular as the S.Mule.

Comment

Yeah, HK did drop the ball on the roll out of the BushMule. I have a feeling that Stuart Warne leaving was the beginning of a shake up over there. Hopefully they will eventually get their act together.

If you liked your old Mule, you should like the new one even more.

I look forward to your impressions.

Comment

Working...
      X