Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Night Flyers

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Flyers

Whats going on guys? (and gals)

After going through two motors and two ESCs in my Night VisionAire (over about 600 flights) I decided to retire it, but I couldn't find any models that I liked for night flying to replace it.

So, I go to Banggood, and I ordered 5 meters each of Red, Blue, Green, and White self adhesive LED strips (30 dollars with free shipping), and the GT Power Electronic Switch from Motion (https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ctronic-switch, 7.99) and decided to make my own. The lights need a 12V power source, so the model had to be able to carry an extra 3S battery. After assessing my inventory, (and REALLY wanting to do a jet) I settled on the Prometheus. Gobs of room internally for the battery and switch, and I embarked upon my adventure.

If you are not any good at soldering, I strongly suggest you do not attempt this!!! It took me two evenings, and every strip has at least two soldered on wire connections, most have 4!!

Here are the results!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	98552

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	98553

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	98554

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	98555

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	98556

So, if anyone else has done a "Create your own" night flyer, LET'S SEE 'EM!!!!!

Last year I picked up the HK Night Walrus to have a bit of fun flying over the 55acre farm that adjoins my property. At dusk, it really looks great in the air & keeps the neighborhood wondering what they are seeing. It is a full house glider & with lights on & some throttle management w/gliding, I can keep it aloft about 20min on a 2200mah batt.. It is quite rugged & has a great flight envelope. Pics/vid attached. The vid is not mine but a good view of the NW in flight.

Denny

HobbyKing Night Walrus: ESSENTIAL RC FLIGHT TESTMy first time night flying and what a perfect model to do it with. Not only a powerful power setup for a glid...
    *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
    *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

I have had the HK Flybeam for some years and really enjoy night flying. It also has a good flight envelope and has different light colors on the top and underside to help with orientation. Now you got me interested in the Walrus. My Prometheus is delegated to aerobatics and 3d flight, It is a great flyer easy to do knife edges all day long. Here is the specs for the lightbeam: Specs:
      Wingspan: 1092mm
      Length: 898mm
      Flying Weight: 1120g
      Motor: 4018 950kv
      ESC: 30A w/BEC
      Servo: 9g x 4

Requires:
      4+ channel Transmitter and Receiver
      3S 11.1V 2200mAh Lipoly Battery
      Night time

Comment

How about my old Parkzone Trojan with Hobbyking LED's.
        I run everything off the 3s flight battery and flight times are about the same.

Comment

Working...
        X