You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eflite Cherokee

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eflite Cherokee

    Just picked up the new Eflite Cherokee. The build was super easy, not much to it. Very good quality as with most Eflite models. Flew the maiden on an Admiral 3c 2200 which flew very scale with plenty of power in reserve. After the first flight I had to set the stab to 70%, pitch was to sensitive. Left everythjng else at high rate. Also had to set a small amount of down trim with the flaps, as it had a noticeable pitch up. Once all trimmed out it flew great, will really slow down with full flaps. Love the nav lights and the details. Painted it to match the family PA28-180, I've since added the N#'s.

  • #2
    Glad to hear it went well for you.

    How is the quality of the nose gear? My local hobby shop guy told me his nose gear broke on the first landing, and he's heard that complaint from a couple of other guys.

    Any issue there? Nice looking plane that I bet flies great.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CaptAmerica View Post
      Just picked up the new Eflite Cherokee. The build was super easy, not much to it. Very good quality as with most Eflite models. Flew the maiden on an Admiral 3c 2200 which flew very scale with plenty of power in reserve. After the first flight I had to set the stab to 70%, pitch was to sensitive. Left everythjng else at high rate. Also had to set a small amount of down trim with the flaps, as it had a noticeable pitch up. Once all trimmed out it flew great, will really slow down with full flaps. Love the nav lights and the details. Painted it to match the family PA28-180, I've since added the N#'s.
      Congrats on the Cherokee! I love the paint scheme and is pretty much how mine will look after this winter. I am doing mine to match my grandfather's 1966 Cherokee 180C.

      Piper Cherokee 180C 58J project by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

      Did you have Callie do the graphics for it? She is doing my Archer-Arrow conversion now and will be doing the Cherokee next.

      Mine flew great without any trim needed after I got the elevator aligned right. The first flight needed 75% down elevator to keep it level. I brought her in and adjusted it. Next flight was perfect. I haven't had any issues with pitch up with flaps. Biggest issue I have had is landing directly into the wind with full flaps. The Cherokee will sit in ground effect for about 20 feet and then drop down to the runway. Had a few bouncy landings, but fixed that by using more throttle and flying her right to the runway instead of letting her float down for that last foot or so. I am using a 3300 and 2200 batteries with the cg set to 114mm instead of the 120mm. I just love my Cherokee and looking forward to repainting her to match my grandfather's plane. I never saw his Cherokee as he sold it in 1978 for an Arrow, which is what I had my first flight with. The model in the picture above is what I used to play with as a kid. It is amazing the thing still looks as good as it does knowing how much I used to play with it. Thankfully, none of the gear went missing because I used to take them off.

      AZflyer, I had 2 rough landings with my Cherokee with one coming down really hard on the nose gear. No damage or issues to report. It was on grass, so not sure if the report of damage was on pavement.

      Comment


      • #4
        It was on pavement. No grass out here in Arizona.

        Thanks for the update.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
          It was on pavement. No grass out here in Arizona.

          Thanks for the update.
          AZ dirt landings...
          gear down!
          Glad to hear the review -want one!
          Nice custom work - we had a red one with constant speed prop!

          Comment


          • #6
            Mine showed up today, can't wait to get it into the air.

            Comment


            • #7
              Had only one issue with the nose gear, it fell out on the 3rd flight. Glued it back on to the servo arm, no issues since.
              I hand cut all the graphics from a piece of monokote trim. The rest is paint.

              Comment


              • #8
                nicely done, CaptAmerica on the graphics! I was going to hold off until this winter to paint mine, but might get started on it this fall so I can still get some flights in before winter sets in.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post

                  Congrats on the Cherokee! I love the paint scheme and is pretty much how mine will look after this winter. I am doing mine to match my grandfather's 1966 Cherokee 180C.

                  Piper Cherokee 180C 58J project by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

                  Did you have Callie do the graphics for it? She is doing my Archer-Arrow conversion now and will be doing the Cherokee next.

                  Mine flew great without any trim needed after I got the elevator aligned right. The first flight needed 75% down elevator to keep it level. I brought her in and adjusted it. Next flight was perfect. I haven't had any issues with pitch up with flaps. Biggest issue I have had is landing directly into the wind with full flaps. The Cherokee will sit in ground effect for about 20 feet and then drop down to the runway. Had a few bouncy landings, but fixed that by using more throttle and flying her right to the runway instead of letting her float down for that last foot or so. I am using a 3300 and 2200 batteries with the cg set to 114mm instead of the 120mm. I just love my Cherokee and looking forward to repainting her to match my grandfather's plane. I never saw his Cherokee as he sold it in 1978 for an Arrow, which is what I had my first flight with. The model in the picture above is what I used to play with as a kid. It is amazing the thing still looks as good as it does knowing how much I used to play with it. Thankfully, none of the gear went missing because I used to take them off.

                  AZflyer, I had 2 rough landings with my Cherokee with one coming down really hard on the nose gear. No damage or issues to report. It was on grass, so not sure if the report of damage was on pavement.
                  BRGT350-Just finished the "build" on my new Eflite Cherokee, and I was looking at the elevator position when sitting on the gear. It looks like it has some slight down position to it. Can you provide a close up picture of where your elevator sits in relation to the fuse in the neutral position? I would like to make sure mine is set level before the maiden. Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The Cherokee is hanging up and not in a great spot to grab a picture, but if you look closely at the leading edge of the elevator where it is near the fuselage, there should be a small rectangular indent into the foam. It is on the fuselage. The leading edge of the elevator should be aligned to that indent. Once you have it aligned, it will fly great!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks BRGT350! Once you said that, I looked closer and can see what you are talking about. I mistook it for part of the panel line details at first. You would think that little detail would be in the instruction manual! I think I will update my manual so that in the future I can reference it if need be!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Flew mine between raindrops today.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Finally got the two together

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Awesome stuff!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CaptAmerica View Post
                              Finally got the two together
                              They sure look great together!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Few it again this weekend. Windy but it didnt really seem to care.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Flew mine this last weekend. Trim settings were good, no issues with the stabilator thanks to the help getting it set. Remnants of Florence here, winds 10-20 with gusts 25mph, The plane flew well, landings were pretty interesting though. Every time I would get it on the ground, the wind would kick straight down the runway and off we'd go again. Bet I made 5-6 approaches before I got one to stick and stay on the ground. Looking forward to flying it again when the winds are a bit less gusty!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Congrats Loneflier on your maiden! She is a wonderful flying aircraft.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
                                      Congrats Loneflier on your maiden! She is a wonderful flying aircraft.
                                      Thanks again for the help on getting the stabilator set. The plane handles wind really well, bounces around some, but I was able to do loops, rolls, and enjoy the flight. Landings will be a breeze in calm winds, just a bit sporting with a 15-20mph wind coming straight down the runway!! I suspect stall speed is less than than, and she just didn't want to come down.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Loneflier View Post

                                        Thanks again for the help on getting the stabilator set. The plane handles wind really well, bounces around some, but I was able to do loops, rolls, and enjoy the flight. Landings will be a breeze in calm winds, just a bit sporting with a 15-20mph wind coming straight down the runway!! I suspect stall speed is less than than, and she just didn't want to come down.
                                        No problem, always happy to help. I have had a few landings in which I needed to go around since it just wanted to stay in the air. Hit the throttle, suck up the flaps, and try again. I found the 3300 battery to really help with how floaty the plane feels. My 2200's just never seem to want to let the plane settle in on landing. Sadly, my Cherokee suffered a rudder failure last week and was a total loss. Rudder went to full right deflection shortly after take-off and spiraled into the ground. The wreckage is arriving at Horizon today for evaluation of what is left. Really hurt watching my favorite plane go into the ground. It had a flawless flight earlier the same evening and had to land to make way for an Army Blackhawk doing touch and goes. Did my standard pre-flight control surface checks, added one notch of flaps, took off and started my pattern flight around the field when it crashed.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X