X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Rudder Servo Recommendation

I have to replace the rudder servo (9-gram servo) on my new Eflite Pitts 850mm. Horizon Hobby(HH) says early December for shipment. In the event that I can not wait that long, I would like to know a suitable alternative rudder servo. The HH live chat guy suggested the Hitec HS-65HB. My hesitation is the $21.99 price tag for the Hitec while the Pitts 9-gram servo is only $5.49.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/hi...9g-micro-servo

https://www.amazon.com

Lots of options out there

Comment

Any time I buy a servo (rather than having it come pre-installed in a PNF model) I get a Hitec digital.

They cost more but I've never had a Hitec fail from anything other than severe impact, and then usually a gear set fixes it.
      I've had servos from a lot of other sources and all have had failures. (some Dead on arrival)
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I will second that, hitec makes some very good servos for the money. As stated if one fails 9 chances out of 10, a gear set and shes good to go again and thats pretty much going to happen on an impact. I have yet to have one go dead in flight. And yes i just knocked on wood to hope to keep my streak alive

Comment

I am using EMax ES08MA II metal gear servos in my Cherokee after having a rudder servo fail and go to full right deflection in the air. It destroyed my Cherokee. Going to start putting them in my Timber as well. Considering using a HiTec for the rudder/nose steering servo for an additional level of reliability over the EMax.

I went 690 consecutive flights without a single servo failure that resulted in a complete loss of the plane. I have had a few UMX servos act up, mostly caught during preflight, and none resulting in a crash. My Cherokee had 10 flawless take-offs and 9 wonderful landings. The 10th landing was a spin into the ground just after take-off. Horizon replaced the plane and said the rudder servo failure was a result of flying beyond the capabilities of the plane. I got a little chuckle out of that since I flew the Cherokee how my grandpa flew his planes. Cruising around at half throttle in what would have to be the most boring RC flying ever seen. It looked like a 90 year old was flying the plane, which is exactly how I want it to look.

Comment

I'll gladly take the cheaper one. I want to make sure that it will screw in to the current holes in the airframe and not have to fuss with making new holes a few millimeters away. How to tell if these mounting screws are the exact same as the ones from the Eflite 9 gram servo. I'm just not too mechanically inclined. I don't mind the challenge of making repairs but I'm not a builder. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy the test of my mind and think its healthy for the mind to try figure these things out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotguy View Post
              I'll gladly take the cheaper one. I want to make sure that it will screw in to the current holes in the airframe and not have to fuss with making new holes a few millimeters away. How to tell if these mounting screws are the exact same as the ones from the Eflite 9 gram servo. I'm just not too mechanically inclined. I don't mind the challenge of making repairs but I'm not a builder. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy the test of my mind and think its healthy for the mind to try figure these things out.
              The HS-55 9g is really close match , check the specs... i'd think it would fit right in. plus 2 screws hold it down too . The Hitec servo that HH said fits takes 4 screws

Comment

HS 5055 is the digital version in HS 55 size. Exact same size case and the same 2 mounting screws (case top is slightly different.) More power, more expensive.

There's a wide assortment of other brand servos in the same size case.
                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Wilco on the HS-55. Just placed the order. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X