X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be the a beginner Bi-Plane? The E-Flite PT-17

Honestly and to be transparent, I love my experince with E-Flite and Spektrum. When I get a Bind and Fly, it just works. I just connect my raido, and a light following of the model and just fly. Does this plane from E-Flite stack up with that? Overall, what has been your experience with Horizon Hobbies brands?

No doubt. Check out the AMA review, get a little assistance for the maiden to dial in surface neutrals and have a SAFE switch.
    Go Fly. CG is real critical but reviews address everything.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
      No doubt. Check out the AMA review, get a little assistance for the maiden to dial in surface neutrals and have a SAFE switch.
      Go Fly. CG is real critical but reviews address everything.
      That is great advice! i am looking it up now. i cant wait to maiden her.

Comment

I love mine! I first put 3oz. of lead in the eng. cylinders. Seems to be very tail heavy without this. Be sure your elevator trim is neutral or even a little down. After flying some, I think I could take a little of the lead out. Be sure your battery is full forward. Use the largest recommended battery. Good luck! Doc

Comment

I bought one of these at a swap meet on Friday. It has been flown below the three mistakes high a few times and glued back together but it looks okay otherwise. Figured for the price it would be a good trainer until I am comfortable and if I like it as much as I hope to, it won't hurt so much had the new one been purchased and training taken a toll.
          The plane has a Spectrum AR 6100 receiver. I have an E-flite SAFE EFLR 310013 from an Apprentice 15S. Will the E-flite SAFE receiver work with the PT17 in lieu of the AR 6100? Thinking of it could be used it might save some three mistakes high crashes. Anyone have info or experience on this. I thought I saw some posts regarding this but can't locate them now that I want them. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Comment

Love the HH brands personally - very high quality from what I've purchased - UMX planes, Mustang, P-47...and even the stearman you mention. Love the BNF system...Couldn't be easier or more efficient.

Very well designed and built model this pt-17....... The paint is THICK. Some of the parts come loose after a few rough landings - so start jiggling the gear after a dozen or so - Mine came loose and had to be re-glued.

I was doing touch and goes at the local elementary school when the battery gave out, and she tumbled into a swing set landing on the horizontal stab...

A little piece of the stab broke off, and a stripped aileron servo was all the damage. That plane is TOUGH!

You'll get around 5 safe minutes of flight from a 2200mah 3 cell....Full throttle gives vertical performance...Can be very aerobatic...

Looks great against the Fall leaves contrasting against a crystal clear blue Carolina sky....

Comment

The PT-17 (Steerman) had a reputation of showing students their mistakes by killing them.

The DH-82 Tiger Moth had a reputation of showing students their mistakes without killing them.

There is only one WWII biplane "trainer" that can be recommended as a first RC model and that is a Tiger Moth.
              Still not an ideal first RC airplane. At least they are a lot more stable than any other biplane I know of.

With decent experience flying other tail-draggers, the PT-17 shouldn't be too hard of a transition. Its OK as a first biplane, not a first airplane.
              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I totally agree with not using this as a first model, it has proven to be difficult to get the CG right.

Here we have Jared doing the maiden flight and he handles her like a champ.

Comment

You make a great point fhhuber because safe will not save a plane when it is not balance properly and or can mask that issue. So when someone transitions from a good top wing to this, it can be hard to identify those issues. But getting the CG closer, it can make a great second plane!

Comment

Any autopilot in a tail-heavy plane will be unable to get it out of a spin, without pilot intervention... and they can easily drive the plane into a spin when it stalls.
                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

It's so true. So often I see new pilots panic because they didn't realize how much work their stabilization system was doing. They seem to take it for granted that if the plane is flying level and they turn off the stabilization that it will still be level. I almost lost a plane when teaching my nephew to fly over that very thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tate View Post
                        It's so true. So often I see new pilots panic because they didn't realize how much work their stabilization system was doing. They seem to take it for granted that if the plane is flying level and they turn off the stabilization that it will still be level. I almost lost a plane when teaching my nephew to fly over that very thing.
                        On the e-Flite Stearman it has to be working overtime - She is pretty heavy for her size - and has a pretty short pitching moment. Without AS3X I'm sure she would be pretty unstable at high speeds. I am very pleased with the aerobatic ability of the Stearman - I love doing snap rolls the most...I have also been able to do the falling leaf with it a few times - but that takes just the right touch! Stalls are very gentle - almost absent of any indication other than a huge loss of altitude. She doesn't like forward slips - if anybody else uses those around here....She takes a dive pretty quick in one I discovered.

The shock absorbing gear are such a nice feature - rough strips are a breeze....

Andy

Comment

It's an alright list. A bit out dated as some of the models listed are no longer available in their listed form, some are essentially duplicates, and I don't necessarily agree with all of the planes you have chosen. But, it does provide some great insight on where to start.

Comment

Working...
                          X