X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by uuc328 View Post
    Would any of you be so kind to take some measurements on the metal prop reinforcement piece? In particular the distance between the 2 prop screw holes and then the center to the first prop screw hole.

Was going to order one from MotionRC but they are out of stock at the moment.
    uuc328, welcome to Hobby Squawk!!! I will try to get you the measurements tonight!!!! Jerry

Comment

• Here is a great book for reference on the F4-U!!! https://www.amazon.com/Vought-F4U-Co...r=8-1-fkmrnull

Printed in Poland but has a really nice translation and you would never know..... Really helpful!!!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

Hahaha, see Brad, be careful what you wish for! The more beautiful the model the more pucker factor! Don't worry, you got this!
          Thanks for the support. Depending on my confidence level, the monkey might just be on your back my friend!And vice versa!

Comment

• So, the dark side of the hobby...

Took her out for a pleasant dusk-ish sortie. Wonderful flight. After the perfect greaser I decided one more go around.

Flight was fine but I cannot believe I committed the ultimate sin. On the approach, seconds before touchdown I hit stall speed. I thought, no big deal, just punch the throttle...

Nope. She fell to the earth at around 1.5 feet and the gear completely collapsed. Gear doors shattered, broke 2 of 3 props.

Man, talk about a crappy way to end my day.
            Aros.MotionRC
            Motion RC Website/Advertising
            Self-Admitted Warbirdaholic

My RC videos on YouTube:
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

“My soul is in the sky.”

Comment

• Sorry....

Comment

So, the dark side of the hobby...

Took her out for a pleasant dusk-ish sortie. Wonderful flight. After the perfect greaser I decided one more go around.

Flight was fine but I cannot believe I committed the ultimate sin. On the approach, seconds before touchdown I hit stall speed. I thought, no big deal, just punch the throttle...

Nope. She fell to the earth at around 1.5 feet and the gear completely collapsed. Gear doors shattered, broke 2 of 3 props.

So Sorry but I always listen to the flight Gods....sometimes one more round is like making one more ski run. At my age I always end up stepping on my dick! It happens but we all try to make it happen less often. Get back in the air again ASAP!

Comment

So sorry to hear that my friend. Hope the rest of the plane is O.K. None of us, no matter what our experience level, is immune to tragedy. For those of us who haven't crashed in awhile, I suspect that it's because the weather isn't letting us fly,fly, fly, crash, fly.Get back on that horse.

Comment

Sorry to hear aros thats how it goes ive had this same senario play out with me perfect flight, then try and squeeze in one last quicky and bam. Its hard to resist because once you fly once you want more and more, its about like heroine or cocaine lol

Comment

• I know, it's always that "One more flight" that gets you!!

Thanks folks...I will take a look at the carnage tomorrow or in a couple days. Just sick about it right now even though it's not a total loss. The plane itself is fine...Just can't believe I stalled her 2 seconds before landing.

Aros.MotionRC
                      Motion RC Website/Advertising
                      Self-Admitted Warbirdaholic

My RC videos on YouTube:
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

“My soul is in the sky.”

Comment

• Added a working canopy Click image for larger version

Name:	15524568747885492671704717884489.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	184181Click image for larger version

Name:	15524569080747245639889148120586.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	184182
                        Brandon Moon

Comment

I know, it's always that "One more flight" that gets you!!

Thanks folks...I will take a look at the carnage tomorrow or in a couple days. Just sick about it right now even though it's not a total loss. The plane itself is fine...Just can't believe I stalled her 2 seconds before landing.

Sorry to hear about your mishap Aros, happens to the best of us. I'm sure you'll have her back to flying status in no time, better than new!

Looks great Brandon. Wish I had half the talent you guys have to modify these planes to works of art.

Comment

• Flight was fine but I cannot believe I committed the ultimate sin. On the approach, seconds before touchdown I hit stall speed. I thought, no big deal, just punch the throttle...

"Glad" (no, not really) to see I'm not the only one to do this. I detailed my experience a few pages back. Same damage plus a shattered aluminum X-mount. My father did the same thing a week after I did (after flying his a half-dozen times). I've read of others on the RCG thread. The "good" news is that this model is designed so that the retract units fail -- instead of tearing out chunks of wing. I think most of you will agree, better to replace retracts than having to repair (and attempt to strengthen) the wing.

I've flown mine several times since, and all the landings have been great -- the key is that this plane needs more throttle on landing than most, if not all, warbirds I have owned. I have my flaps set up to crank as far down as mechanically possible, and I'm finding that I need 1/3 or even more on the final stretch to earth, and then "fly it" to the ground, cutting the power just before I make contact with the runway. If this sounds like I'm landing "fast", trust me, not the case -- nice and slow with a short roll-out, with hardly any runway used. I had to get past my mental block of trying to land with that much throttle (I have been working for months against trying to land my EDFs with TOO MUCH throttle on final). Some guys point out the "big radial engine" as a source of drag (and partial cause of these stalls), which I don't really buy. I have the FMS 1500mm P-47, which has all kinds of radial engine frontal drag, and I have the flaps set to really crank down on that. It'll land with almost no throttle, and no tendency to stall.

I'm not the first person to say you have to fly this plane with power all the way to the ground -- just a +1 in hopes of helping somebody else avoid this. Side note: I hope MotionRC gets the retracts in soon -- I, like others, had to purchase the retract+strut at roughly twice the cost, when I only needed the retracts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon Moon View Post
                              Added a working canopy Click image for larger version

Name:	15524568747885492671704717884489.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	184181Click image for larger version

Name:	15524569080747245639889148120586.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	184182
                              Did ya use the FW Stang canopy slider rails
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3
                              Incinerator Loss 16

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Did ya use the FW Stang canopy slider rails
                                Nope. Made with pushrods and plastic guide tubing
                                Brandon Moon

Comment

• DUMB Maintenance Question - I need to adjust the servo arm on one of my servos. It's a standard Philips screw but the damn thing is so tight and shallow set I'm afraid of stripping it. I've never had this problem before so dumb question - is there a "special" Philips for servo screws?

Comment

• Negative just brace the servo arm with one finger and unscrew gently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon Moon View Post

pushrods and plastic guide tubing
                                      Me like. Simple and effective

Comment

• Originally posted by sethscorsair View Post
                                        Negative just brace the servo arm with one finger and unscrew gently.
                                        SNAFU - Yeah did that and it stripped. It's really in there tight. Did I waste a servo or is there a way to get this damn screw out?

Comment

• Finally had the opportunity to maiden my birdcage. Had a bit of a breeze - maybe 8-10mph - straight down the runway. Takeoff was pretty uneventful using 1/2 flaps and with some right rudder it was off the ground pretty quickly. Needed a bit of up trim and some left aileron. It's a great flying plane. Flies great at 1/2 throttle and has a nice punch when you go to full throttle. Tracks very nice and very predicable in the air. Since there was that breeze I decided to try landing with 1/2 flaps and a little power. Not sure if others have experienced this but it seemed to want to keep going. Finally got it on the ground fairly softly. Not sure if I should have just gone to full flaps. Anyway, all went well. Using the Turnigy 5000 60C after 5 min. still had 57% left in the tank. After that the wind really started to pick up and become gusty so rather than risk it will shoot for Monday when we're supposed to have light winds and low 70's.

Comment

Working...
                                          X